2nds Crows in the SANFL Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

My main issue with the club is that we left Crouch out of our round 1 side

Every final 8 side from 2012 except for us debut a player for their club, this to me demonstrates a commitment to improve their side with personnel

We should have been no different, our team is not good enough to leave a Crouch out and it s a real concern if our coaches thought otherwise

Vader I can understand your issue with players like Martin, Petrenko and Jaensch being selected.

However Lyons is a third year player taken at base age in the 2010 ND. His first year was a write off due to long term injury, but his 2012 form for Glenelg was outstanding. He was in my mind unfairly ousted for an out of sorts Douglas against Collingwood rather than Jaensch, after being a significant component in the final quarter of our victory against Sydney.

He was unfortunately injured (ankle I believe) when midfield injuries occurred and plodders like Symes and Knights were given guernseys as a result. He finished off the year strong in the SANFL and has seemingly resumed that form this weekend.

I was impressed with his skills in our first round of NAB Cup matches.

For a bloke 18 months older than Crouch and with a stronger SANFL resumè, he seems to be written off an awful lot.

TBH our selection hasn't improved either over the past few years. Sando may have done well as a coach, but our ignorance of developing players is pathetic. Hawthorn, Collingwood and Sydney had no issue with having debutants and relatively untried players in Round 1, but we're too good.

I'm not writing him off.. I'm just wondering how a player with such a strong SANFL resume (and I agree it is a very strong one) could be so far down our pecking order, when there are a whole bunch of list cloggers ahead of him whose resumes do not appear to be as strong as his own.

There has to be a reason why he's so far down the line, when he appears to have so much talent.

I'm not writing him off.. I'm just wondering how a player with such a strong SANFL resume (and I agree it is a very strong one) could be so far down our pecking order, when there are a whole bunch of list cloggers ahead of him whose resumes do not appear to be as strong as his own.

There has to be a reason why he's so far down the line, when he appears to have so much talent.

Why couldn't Scotland get a game at the Pies however has since won Carlton. B&F

How did Kennedy struggle to get a game at Hawthorn but now at the Swans is a gun of the comp

My point is Coaches don't always get it right and are at times they are guilty of sticking with their gut rather than providing opportunity for others at the expense of a player they initially rated highly

with regards to McKernan i dont know except the past 18mnths or so club has been helping him.

You get the feeling if he can get over it he is gonna be a star for us, but i hope he is ok, i ranked him in my top 10 in that draft so im dissapointed that he hasnt been in our best 22

How did Kennedy struggle to get a game at Hawthorn but now at the Swans is a gun of the comp

My point is Coaches don't always get it right and are at times they are guilty of sticking with their gut rather than providing opportunity for others at the expense of a player they initially rated highly
There are numerous examples of this. Sydney's got 3-4 players that weren't getting a game.

I've got a feeling with our club there's a sense that guys who have been there longer deserve a place first. The decision not to play Crouch was beyond belief. I also bet you if Tambling didn't miss games with injury he would have taken Browns spot.

In which case Lyon would be well advised to request a trade at the end of the year, if the only reason he's not getting a game is because he's not the coaches' pet. Sorry, I don't buy that either.

Lyon isn't "struggling to get a game". He's our 7th ranked mid-sized player outside our best 22.

My person theory - could very well be wrong but only trying to make sense of what I agree are confusing selections.

Players like Brodie Martin and Ricky Henderson are very safe selections. They're both turning 25 this year, have spent 4 years in the system, should be around peak fitness and have had decent exposure to AFL football. They are both very adaptable. Henderson swings between being a third tall forwards and defender as well as occasional runs in the midfield. Brodie Martin has been a wingman, small forward, rebounding defender and seems to be the favoured sub candidate. You can pick these guys last to fit around the better players and be reasonably confident they will be okay in whatever role they're thrust into that week.

Brad Crouch and Jarryd Lyons are among the first named in the guts for their SANFL sides each week. They spend the majority of their time in a central role and are expected to win the midfield battle for their team. They are younger, have basically no exposure to AFL football and no experience in playing peripheral bit roles. We don't know how adaptable they are and given we're supposedly a kick away from the grand final, the selectors are more concerned with finding the right role players to fit around the core group than trying to rebuild the core group itself.

One thing I've been wondering is about the type of people Petrenko and Jaensch are, and whether this is playing a role with their ongoing selection.

Sanderson has come in with a different attitude. The quiet, reserved, steady as she goes, softly softly, Crowbot approach of the Craig era has been replaced by a confident swagger, loud, fun, energetic, almost arrogant attitude. People like Vince, Walker, Petrenko, Jaensch, Dangerfield demonstrate this persona in spades.

The reason I was wondering was something I heard about Geelong, where their culture was so strong. It was Mooney, Scarlett and Rooke who were the "cultural architects" and drove the attitude and behaviour at the club more so than the champion players like Ablett, Selwood and Chapman.

I wonder if it is partly that Sanderson wants to see Jaensch and Petrenko succeed because with their outgoing nature they bring a vibrancy, energy and enthusiasm to the team that others don't. Perhaps Sanderson feels it is important to have players of this type around the team, influencing the behaviour of others. Whether their performance/ability matches up remains to be seen.

One thing I've been wondering is about the type of people Petrenko and Jaensch are, and whether this is playing a role with their ongoing selection.

Sanderson has come in with a different attitude. The quiet, reserved, steady as she goes, softly softly, Crowbot approach of the Craig era has been replaced by a confident swagger, loud, fun, energetic, almost arrogant attitude. People like Vince, Walker, Petrenko, Jaensch, Dangerfield demonstrate this persona in spades.

The reason I was wondering was something I heard about Geelong, where their culture was so strong. It was Mooney, Scarlett and Rooke who were the "cultural architects" and drove the attitude and behaviour at the club more so than the champion players like Ablett, Selwood and Chapman.

I wonder if it is partly that Sanderson wants to see Jaensch and Petrenko succeed because with their outgoing nature they bring a vibrancy, energy and enthusiasm to the team that others don't. Perhaps Sanderson feels it is important to have players of this type around the team, influencing the behaviour of others. Whether their performance/ability matches up remains to be seen.
Interesting theory. When I played cricket we had a guy in the team who was hopeless ability wise, but was such a well respected and humorous character that he played in the 1's every week for the team morale lift he gave.

Problem is, this is AFL, not parklands cricket!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive been told mckernan has psych issues that the club is helping him with.

I sure as hell hope this is not a new thing. We've all known about his depression issues for years, the club should have been on top of it too.

Depression is not something to be ashamed of, but neither is it something that people should try to deal with on their own. I would hope the club has been working with Shaun on this for years now.

How many games did Jaensch play last year? I dont think he has a secure spot in the 22 by any imagination. I think Sando sees him as a genuine back pocket option, not sure if he sees the likes of Crouch, Lyon and Laird as backline options. As much as I want to see Crouch in the team, realistically he has to replace a midfielder. I cant see Sando dropping any of the mids after round 1.

Logically Id like to see Petrenko go to the BP and play Crouch in the forward line with some time on the ball. Not sure its going to happen though.

You do realise that every single one of the players you named was recruited during Craig's reign?

Putting aside the pointless slur against Craig, you may have a valid point about the culture which Sando is building at the club and within the playing group in particular.

There are numerous examples of this. Sydney's got 3-4 players that weren't getting a game.

I've got a feeling with our club there's a sense that guys who have been there longer deserve a place first. The decision not to play Crouch was beyond belief. I also bet you if Tambling didn't miss games with injury he would have taken Browns spot.

I tend to agree with this. My issue is we have had this attitude since GA took over and it hasn't got us anywhere.

Whilst we have improved our style of play over the last 2 years, our selection policy appears to have remain unchanged despite is what I see as shortcomings in player development.

You do realise that every single one of the players you named was recruited during Craig's reign?
Irrelevant.
Putting aside the pointless slur against Craig, you may have a valid point about the culture which Sando is building at the club and within the playing group in particular.
There is no slur against Craig.

He was successful especially early with his methods. What I said was that Sanderson has brought a different attitude. Not necessarily better, but definitely different.

Irrelevant.
Not entirely. Of the players you listed, only Vince achieved maturity as a player while Craig was still in charge, but all were recruited under Craig. Do you really think they wouldn't be the same boisterous natured kids regardless of the coach?
He was successful especially early with his methods. What I said was that Sanderson has brought a different attitude. Not necessarily better, but definitely different.
No problem agreeing with that.

Least he has stuck it out as opposed to Tippett and Gunston, that shows a bit of guts.

But that's the thing, IMO I feel it takes more guts to stand up to the club administration and leaders who demand you sign and stay, show that club loyalty and stop being a soft campaigner and lead you down that path by staying; than what it takes to actually leave.

You're not going to agree with me, in fact I doubt many on this board will agree with me especially since to the two examples you gave were Gunston and Tippett. However, from what I know and have heard first hand from players who have gone in and out of the AFL system and what football clubs are all about and the amount of day to day pressure that gets unfairly applied to young kids to stay when they are actually home sick - it takes more guts to buck the system and leave, than it does to stay.

Football clubs promise you the world and deliver very little.

But that's the thing, IMO I feel it takes more guts to stand up to the club administration and leaders who demand you sign and stay, show that club loyalty and stop being a soft silly and lead you down that path by staying; than what it takes to actually leave.

You're not going to agree with me, in fact I doubt many on this board will agree with me especially since to the two examples you gave were Gunston and Tippett. However, from what I know and have heard first hand from players who have gone in and out of the AFL system and what football clubs are all about and the amount of day to day pressure that gets unfairly applied to young kids to stay when they are actually home sick - it takes more guts to buck the system and leave, than it does to stay.

Football clubs promise you the world and deliver very little.
Nah you raise good points, except for gunston he left with no guts or class. And it's probably only the contract situation that made Tippett a villain. If he just came to the end of his contract and wanted to go home and then went home, that would have been fair enough.

Nah you raise good points, except for gunston he left with no guts or class. And it's probably only the contract situation that made Tippett a villain. If he just came to the end of his contract and wanted to go home and then went home, that would have been fair enough.

But I don't even know about that. Human behavior allows us to do very different things. I suspect that when Jack Gunston was at the Crows, he wanted to keep them happy and just kept saying yes, I'll stay. He didn't want to disappoint anyway. Until it got to the point where he had to make a decision and you know, the easiest one to make was to run away. Seeing the people at the club, he could not actually say he wanted to leave. He's was only 20 years old, or something like that.

If that the worse thing that kid does in his life, he will be a saint.

It could also be as simple or as corny as some people not being able to stay goodbye.

I also feel that Tippett wanted to be in both places, he didn't want to live in Adelaide but didn't want to leave his mates at the club. From what I've been told, he literally could not say it to them as he was disappointed in how they would react.

We live in the year 2013, people now break up, get fired, hired and communicate emotionally via E Mail, Facebook, text messages and twitter. It's the way the world is and maybe it is a soft way to do it but it's part and parcel with living in this time. The sad reality, it's only going to become the norm, not the exception.

Not entirely. Of the players you listed, only Vince achieved maturity as a player while Craig was still in charge, but all were recruited under Craig. Do you really think they wouldn't be the same boisterous natured kids regardless of the coach?
I don't think you understand the point I'm making.

I'm wondering if Petrenko and Jaensch display some intangible qualities (beyond their football) that Sanderson values.

That's it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back