Strategy Crows Premiership Plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Soooeee...its ground hog day.

West coast have something crazy like 24 wa guys on their list. They're going okay. I don't me all the time either just when possible ie dangerfield/ebert.

Yeah tough one. I'd still rather we pick Danger over Ebert and back our ability to keep him

Make the hard call on veteran players earlier. We need to be less afraid to give senior players SANFL time to find form. And bring in younger players to get experience. AFC could do this and tell fans that we are building for the future. We don't need a complete rebuild, we need to continue to build. Getting out of form players in the SANFL provides motivation for them to lift. It also gets them touching the ball and improving their form. The more you use the ball effectively, the easier it gets at AFL level.
Who were the last 5 experienced players we actively traded?

2009 - none
2010 - traded out Griffen
2011 - traded out Gunston, Maric, Armstrong
2012 - none
2013 - Vince
2014 - none

Gunston is a bit different coz he wanted out - but Maric and Vince are a lot better players than some we have on our list at the moment.

Surely we can move on some of our list and change the profile of our team for the better?

These guys are either under-performing / don't look up to it / aren't getting a regular game - which ones would have any currency on the trade market?

7 Nathan van Berlo (WA)
11 Matthew Wright (SA)
14 David Mackay (VIC)
15 Kyle Hartigan (VIC)
17 Sam Kerridge (VIC)
20 Sam Siggins (TAS)
31 Jarryd Lyons (VIC)
34 Sam Shaw (VIC)
36 Brodie Martin (SA)
45 Ricky Henderson (VIC)

Who were the last 5 experienced players we actively traded?

2009 - none
2010 - traded out Griffen
2011 - traded out Gunston, Maric, Armstrong
2012 - none
2013 - Vince
2014 - none

Gunston is a bit different coz he wanted out - but Maric and Vince are a lot better players than some we have on our list at the moment.

Surely we can move on some of our list and change the profile of our team for the better?

These guys are either under-performing / don't look up to it / aren't getting a regular game - which ones would have any currency on the trade market?

7 Nathan van Berlo (WA)
11 Matthew Wright (SA)
14 David Mackay (VIC)
15 Kyle Hartigan (VIC)
17 Sam Kerridge (VIC)
20 Sam Siggins (TAS)
31 Jarryd Lyons (VIC)
34 Sam Shaw (VIC)
36 Brodie Martin (SA)
45 Ricky Henderson (VIC)

Currency? As in any pick under 35?

Probably none of them.

I think we all get that Thommo is on his last legs and we need to get games into players like CEY and Crouch

But what of Thommo's performance in the Showdown? Should he have been left out of that? Would we have won if he was?

We are in transition. Thommo can't run but he still offers leadership and muscle and knowledge to pass onto the youngsters

But that is the point. Winning the showdown might make us feel good, but did it help us get any closer to a flag?

Nope.

Just papering over the cracks.

Overreaction post/thread. Lose to Sydney who had a near full strength team and an obvious reason to play at their best. Whilst I don't disagree entirely with the thread, the team has been through hell in the last month and a down week was a likely occurrence at some point. Yes, we were pathetic, insipid. Yes, we are far from a premiership team but we have had a horrid 4 or 5 years. Losing Walsh, Bailey, Draft Picks, Tippett, Gunston, Davis, Bock etc and a number of other bad incidents, many other clubs would be on their death beds.

We have been very competitive throughout this year and Walsh had a plan that every body was working towards. Skills can't turn around overnight. A couple of recruits to fill the obvious voids we have in the squad and we can be on the right track. Our drafting, despite being incredibly compromised has been good.

But that is the point. Winning the showdown might make us feel good, but did it help us get any closer to a flag?

Nope.

Yeah I get that but I'm still 50/50

I would have thought winning a showdown helps build a culture for the kids to buy into, to watch Thommo under that sort of heat and see what it takes to win

Plus a win over Port builds belief and somehow shows we are on the right track

Maybe he needs to be rested occasionally and not play every game

Soooeee...its ground hog day.

West coast have something crazy like 24 wa guys on their list. They're going okay. I don't me all the time either just when possible ie dangerfield/ebert.
I had a quick look back to 2002, and they have used their first pick on a WA player 6 times:
Chris Masten
Nic Naitanui
Brad Sheppard
Murray Newman
Brant Colledge
Dom Sheed

We have used our first pick on an SA player 4 times:
Luke Jericho
James Sellar
Phil Davis
Brodie Smith

Overreaction post/thread. Lose to Sydney who had a near full strength team and an obvious reason to play at their best. Whilst I don't disagree entirely with the thread, the team has been through hell in the last month and a down week was a likely occurrence at some point. Yes, we were pathetic, insipid. Yes, we are far from a premiership team but we have had a horrid 4 or 5 years. Losing Walsh, Bailey, Draft Picks, Tippett, Gunston, Davis, Bock etc and a number of other bad incidents, many other clubs would be on their death beds.

We have been very competitive throughout this year and Walsh had a plan that every body was working towards. Skills can't turn around overnight. A couple of recruits to fill the obvious voids we have in the squad and we can be on the right track. Our drafting, despite being incredibly compromised has been good.

I agree that there have been signs of us being more competitive at times this year. Under Walsh I was confident of a step forward.

I don't agree that this is an overreaction. The positivity of Fagan, Roo & Walsh has worn off somewhat and I'm left looking at the club and thinking that not a lot has really changed. It is 10 years worth of going around in circles and making the same decisions over and over again, whilst somehow hoping for a miracle with a different outcome.
Nothing to do with the Sydney game - which I put down to illness at the club.

I dont know how many times we have to go through this. We will never win a premiership if we adopt this attitude. The talent in this state just isnt there to compete with the best. This means it will require giving non SA players (so long as they deserve it) good contracts.

I wouldnt completely dismiss this without further investigation though. We havent won a flag for 17 years so the current strategy needs to be dissected a lot more. Is it the sole reason we havent won a flag? No. But it may be one reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. As long as we make the eight the tee AFC board will be satisfied. They have shown it by their actions. Neil Craig could be coach for as far as the eyes can see as long as he kept making the finals. Never mind he couldn't win a flag. But, as with nearly all our coaches, when they missed the finals two years in a row, they were gone.

In spite of the turmoil and the hype about the players doing it for Phil, nothing has changed. For the last six years we have usually beaten the teams below us and struggled to beat the teams above us, i.e. those in the eight. Consequently we end up finishing mid table. We persist with players that continually burn the ball and make poor decisions. We hold on to players that won't help us win a flag because at he moment they are in our best 18. Too bad if we have an over abundance of inside mids and not enough outside runners. The trouble is we don't have a grand plan to win a flag. We won't risk change. As long as we win enough games to make the eight no need to worry.

Yeah tough one. I'd still rather we pick Danger over Ebert and back our ability to keep him

From that particular draft there was only a few SA players available, Ebert, Levi Greenwood, MWesthoff, Stuart 'almost finished' Dew, Tom McNamara.

Given the selection, there was just the one choice. I do remember at the time the media was saying that it will take time before we could assess whether we made the right choice, I think that time may be fast approaching.

7 Nathan van Berlo (WA)
11 Matthew Wright (SA)
14 David Mackay (VIC)
15 Kyle Hartigan (VIC)
17 Sam Kerridge (VIC)
20 Sam Siggins (TAS)
31 Jarryd Lyons (VIC)
34 Sam Shaw (VIC)
36 Brodie Martin (SA)
45 Ricky Henderson (VIC)

Other than Siggins, all of them would have some currency.

Just not anything more than a 3rd round pick. Maybe you could get something ok for Hendo, Mackay, Lyons, Kerridge.

I had a quick look back to 2002, and they have used their first pick on a WA player 6 times:

Nic Naitanui

Melbourne would have created a Jack Watts out of him had they recruited him. Definitely imo the better player at the time and time has proven that is still the case.

I wouldnt completely dismiss this without further investigation though. We havent won a flag for 17 years so the current strategy needs to be dissected a lot more. Is it the sole reason we havent won a flag? No. But it may be one reason.

How would drafting the best SA player be more beneficial than drafting the best player full stop?

The theory seems to be that it would save us from losing players so readily, but the players that are usually placed on the list of players lost don't support that.

Nathan Bock - Was a rookie pick, but was an SA player anyway

Phil Davis - Was an SA player anyway

Jack Gunston - A Vic player who returned home, true, but most supporting the 'Take an SA player' method want us to do it with our first pick, Gunston was taken with our second pick. The next SA based player was taken 23 picks later and was Justin Bollenhagen, he played 4 games and was delisted. Byron Sumner was next and played 1 game, then James Craig who we selected anyway.

Kurt Tippett - Again, not our first pick, but had we instead gone for the next best from SA, we have
Chris Schmidt (20 games - Delisted)
Mark Austin (44 games - Delisted)
Alwyn Davey (100 games - Delisted)

Who else have we lost due to them not being from SA?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. As long as we make the eight the tee AFC board will be satisfied. They have shown it by their actions. Neil Craig could be coach for as far as the eyes can see as long as he kept making the finals. Never mind he couldn't win a flag. But, as with nearly all our coaches, when they missed the finals two years in a row, they were gone.
Which coach(es) do you thing should have been allowed more time?

I 100% understand where you are coming from. Fagan and Roo have said everything correct.

You're right Fagan and Roo have done everything right so far, unfortunately they are too far removed from the footy "coalface".

We need to get rid of Noble, Harper and clean out the assistants. These people are not the best we could get, Noble and Harper have just been at our club and got jobs for the boys promotions. Head of Football and General Manager of Football ffs.

But no our nice club doesn't like getting rid of people - we promote them, time to get some hard edged people in.

Nope.

It didn't paper over anything.

Our performance this season exactly matches our list. Can be really good, but not quite there yet.

All sides have good wins and poor losses at certain times. (Except Carlton with the wins..... lol)

I agree that there have been signs of us being more competitive at times this year. Under Walsh I was confident of a step forward.

I don't agree that this is an overreaction. The positivity of Fagan, Roo & Walsh has worn off somewhat and I'm left looking at the club and thinking that not a lot has really changed. It is 10 years worth of going around in circles and making the same decisions over and over again, whilst somehow hoping for a miracle with a different outcome.
Nothing to do with the Sydney game - which I put down to illness at the club.

Perhaps it was just the timing of the thread. We have too much dead wood to be a contender at the moment and this has come about due to the compromised drafts. It is unfortunate. It ties in with the stat/thread brought up on here last week, that we have been the most successful team in the last 10 years (or was it 15?) without winning a premiership. Unfortunately with the draft the way it is, teams don't really get rewarded for consistency. Some could argue that we have overachieved consistently considering our drafts and everything which isn't necessarily a good thing. You can be rewarded for bad results (seasons).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back