macca23

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Managed to have an out of office appointment this morning - just happened to be at the Crows' training down at West Lakes!!! :D It was an excellent session, marred only by the setback suffered by Mark Stevens in a clash with Massie and McGregor.

Players who were on the restricted list for 1 thing or another were Welsh, Bickley, Begley, Hentschel, Schell and John**** with Edwards absent (don't know why) plus rookies Skipworth and Bratton. None of these looked particularly bad and most of them should be back with the full squad soon.

I managed to speak to Scotty Welsh who was doing solo sprints under supervision, and he said that the operation was successful. His main task now is to get full suppleness and flexibility back into his groin muscles instead of the tightness created by the operation. He was really upbeat on his progress.

After about 30 minutes of the mandatory warm-ups and skill exercises they played a 4 quarter competitive scratch match of 20 minutes each quarter. 17 players on each side, and very evenly matched with the scores being 14 goals odd to 13 goals odd.

As is the case every week, they lengthen the play time, but the intensity never drops. We nearly had round 2 for Nigel, after he slung Burton by the neck, who certainly didn't appreciate it - but then thought better of it.

Carey lined up at FF against Bassett with Stevens at CHF against McGregor. Carey found it very hard there against Bassett with Smart lending a hand as well, and was restricted to 3 possessions (2k, 1hb) in a very crowded forward line. Missed one he should have kicked.

In the 2nd quarter Carey lined up at CHF, and McGregor got a taste of what it is like to stand the best CHF in the game in the past 20 years. Carey appeared to be playing in cruise mode but got upwards of 10 possessions for the quarter, setting up 3 goals in the process. What a class act!!! Ayresy took him off after 2 quarters as planned and he spent the rest of the game on the sidelines having some kicks with officials etc.

Boy, was I impressed with Ronnie Burns!! Played as a HF flanker and on-baller and bobbed up everywhere. Kicked 3 himself, and showed great pace and skills. The prophets of doom and gloom who say that he will add no value to Adelaide are guilty of wishful thinking.

Goodwin was magnificent as an on-baller and resting up forward. Had a million kicks and kicked 7 goals. Ricciuto is in great touch and definitely outgunned Stenglein at centre. although Stinger did many good things. McLeod did as he liked when he liked and still is the Rolls Royce to watch - classy and smooth.

I can see why Torney is rated so highly. He is a superb defender with excellent judgement. Never put a foot out of place. He will add something to the defence. Bode started off the game as if it was his own footy and had another good game as did Gallagher who is pressing hard for a spot in the mid-field as an on-baller, not a wingman. Nelson also played well as an on-baller and got a lot of the ball.

Nigel was vintage Nigel - played really well with a mountain of anticipation and dash. Bassett was excellent at FB, while Biglands dominated the rucks against Clarke - jumped right over him. Perrie played well at CHF, although his opponent Matt Smith did many good things.

Of the young brigade Reilly absolutely caned Crowell and Porthos will probably prove to be correct when he said that he will be the best of the current crop of juniors. Very classy youngster with a big future. Schuback played very well as a roaming crumbing forward and is right up to the standard. Rutten played very well at FB and will make the grade. Mattner who played FF on him kicked 2 but was playing out of position IMO. Jericho was played on a HB flank again and is a very accomplished player - seen him twice now and have been impressed both times.

I watched Adan Parker very closely and he played as the 3rd defensive tall on Ben Marsh and creamed him. Not an attacking rebound player at this stage but hates to give his opponent a crumb.

Multiple Goalkickers

Goodwin (7)
Perrie (4)
Gallagher, Burns (3)
Riley, Mattner (2)

Best players: Goodwin, Ricciuto, Reilly, McLeod, Bode, Burns and Smart

Honourable Mentions (alaphabetical): Bassett, Biglands, Gallagher, Mcgregor, Nelson, Parker, Perrie, Rutten, Schuback, Torney

Probably my last training report as they are away at Mt Gambier next week and then the matches start at Norwood Oval the next week. Hope they have been of some interest. :)

I have a Labrador called Bart who just can't help drooling when ever he sees food or even the thought of food, after reading your training updates macca i now know the meaning of "drooling" & i like it very much, :D bring it on bro.

Excellent report. McGregor must have been blown away getting to play on one of his heroes. I wonder how much of an influence Wayne has had on him this pre season?

Bring on Feb 14th!

Jerome

Another top class report mate:D Great stuff!!!! Thanks for keeping me up to date with all the training reports. That is one positive thing about being snowed in;)

Gags as an onballer:D , I like that. Goody on fire (7 goals), I like that even more:D. Some positive signs there. Lets hope that Stevo will be ready by Rd 1 of the Wizard Cup. Good to see Kenny continuing his good work. Surprised that Doughty and Ladhams were not mentioned in your report. Did they play?????? Did Carey at least kick a goal???

Once again thank for keeping me up to date mate;)

P.S. Do you think that Hentschel will play against Port in the Wizard Cup??????

The best Centre Half Forward in the past 20 years? pfft

Carey is the best CHF of all-time. Even Sheedy who played with Royce Hart has finally acknowledged that Hart would be shifted to the flank to accommodate Carey, in his greatest ever team. For years Sheedy has resisted the calls that Carey is better than Hart, now even he has finally succumbed to the force.

I believe you were trying to say that Carey is the best footballer of the past 20 years (which therefore means he is arguably the greatest ever).

Sorry to come onto your boards, but please show some respect to the King! Damn straight!

Another fantastic report Macca - I don't suppose you are planning to take holidays when pre-season recomences next year. ;)

I find it interesting that Perrie has kicked a few bags of goals now in these games. Has his kicking improved or is he kicking plenty of points too? With a little doubt on Stevo with his back, I gather Perrie is our best back-up option @ CHF. Just as well it was Massie & not Perrie who collided into Stevo. ;)

All our 3 gun onballers look like they are in for stellar seasons of they can stay injury-free. I can't recall all having big years as the same time due to slight injury problems. This will be a huge bonus. Then who will put there hands up for the other spots? I would like to see Reilly & few of the other younger players blooded in the wizer, to see if we can find a suprise packet who will step-up (eg. Reilly who should be fast-tracked).

With Parker playing well, is he ahead of Rutten when we need another tall defender?

Must go, as I have a bucks party to got to. :D

Originally posted by Squizy Taylor
The best Centre Half Forward in the past 20 years? pfft

Carey is the best CHF of all-time. Even Sheedy who played with Royce Hart has finally acknowledged that Hart would be shifted to the flank to accommodate Carey, in his greatest ever team. For years Sheedy has resisted the calls that Carey is better than Hart, now even he has finally succumbed to the force.

I believe you were trying to say that Carey is the best footballer of the past 20 years (which therefore means he is arguably the greatest ever).

Sorry to come onto your boards, but please show some respect to the King! Damn straight!

I've been watching footy for more than 20 years - a lot more actually :) - and Carey is the greatest player I've seen in that time. No other player I've seen can singlehandedly just dominate a game for a period and change its result as he can and has. That includes Ablett, Matthews etc.

So actually I don't disgree with one word that you've said above.

And now he plays for the Crows!!! :D

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
Surprised that Doughty and Ladhams were not mentioned in your report. Did they play?????? Did Carey at least kick a goal???

Do you think that Hentschel will play against Port in the Wizard Cup??????

They both played, Stiffy. In fact they stood each other on a wing. Honours went to Ladhams quite comfortably IMO.

Carey had 3 shots at goal - two long bombs from outside 50 for just missed points, and one from alongside the point post on his wrong side which went across the face for no score. But in the 2nd quarter when at CHF he set up 3 goals with handball and footpasses. Just for interest's sake, his new teammates already call him "duck". He probably should have had several frees for interference, but the internal umpire used may have an AFL future as his standard decision was "play on"!!! :)

Hentschel is still looking a bit proppy with his back, and this setback might affect his chances in the early part of this year. He would need to come good this week to get a game in the Wizard Wok. At this stage Perrie would have edged ahead of him with 2 good games in a row up forward.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin

I find it interesting that Perrie has kicked a few bags of goals now in these games. Has his kicking improved or is he kicking plenty of points too? With a little doubt on Stevo with his back, I gather Perrie is our best back-up option @ CHF

All our 3 gun onballers look like they are in for stellar seasons of they can stay injury-free

I would like to see Reilly & few of the other younger players blooded in the wizer, to see if we can find a suprise packet who will step-up (eg. Reilly who should be fast-tracked).

With Parker playing well, is he ahead of Rutten when we need another tall defender?

Must go, as I have a bucks party to got to. :D

Perrie is our best back-up at CHF and is very fit and strong - excellent muscle definition. He is playing as well as I've ever seen him at the moment. As for his kicking, it's obvious that Jars is spending a lot of time with him and has revised his action somewhat. When he remembers his new action he kicks very well. Under pressure he reverts back to his old style, which is sh**house..

Reilly's form demands that he plays in the Wizard Wok, and you are right on the money when you say he should be fast-tracked - this kid has got the ability to be something special long-term.

Rutten and Parker are totally different types of players, but I would put Rutten marginally ahead at this stage. Rutten is physically strong and would thrive on the physical challenge of a gorilla, to quote Pagan, and is a very rebounding defender - good at ground level as well. Parker is the old-fashioned mean defender who wears them like glue and won't let them have a sniff. A very good option against a 3rd tall in their forward pocket.

And .... ahem ..... if there is a stripper at this buck's show, we are expecting a full report on the action Kane!!! :D

Originally posted by macca23
They both played, Stiffy. In fact they stood each other on a wing. Honours went to Ladhams quite comfortably IMO.

Carey had 3 shots at goal - two long bombs from outside 50 for just missed points, and one from alongside the point post on his wrong side which went across the face for no score. But in the 2nd quarter when at CHF he set up 3 goals with handball and footpasses. Just for interest's sake, his new teammates already call him "duck". He probably should have had several frees for interference, but the internal umpire used may have an AFL future as his standard decision was "play on"!!! :)

Hentschel is still looking a bit proppy with his back, and this setback might affect his chances in the early part of this year. He would need to come good this week to get a game in the Wizard Wok. At this stage Perrie would have edged ahead of him with 2 good games in a row up forward.

Thanks mate for the updates;)

Taking Stevo's injuries into account (where is marks'girl?) a Wiz Wok Round 1 side could look like:

Bassett Carey Burns
Bode Perrie Edwards
Stenglien Ricciuto Burton
John**** McGregor Torney
Hart Rutten Smart

R : Biglands, McLeod, Goodwin
Int: Clarke, Reilly, Gallagher, Dougherty/Ladhams

Other than CHF, its hard fitting em all in. I put Bass up forward as he likes playing there and he can fill Welsh's role as a third tall target for the time being. They can always swap him with Nige , if need be. It's a flexible side, perhaps lacks another tall player.

Jerome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Jerome
Taking Stevo's injuries into account (where is marks'girl?) a Wiz Wok Round 1 side could look like:

Bassett Carey Burns
Bode Perrie Edwards
Stenglien Ricciuto Burton
John**** McGregor Torney
Hart Rutten Smart

R : Biglands, McLeod, Goodwin
Int: Clarke, Reilly, Gallagher, Dougherty/Ladhams

Other than CHF, its hard fitting em all in. I put Bass up forward as he likes playing there and he can fill Welsh's role as a third tall target for the time being. They can always swap him with Nige , if need be. It's a flexible side, perhaps lacks another tall player.

Jerome

I think you are allowed 6 on the interchange bench in the Wiz Cup. I still hope Stevo will be ready but in case he isn't this is how I would line them up (taking into account players who have put their hand up during pre-season)

_F: _ Brett Buron _ Wayne Carey _ Ronnie Burns
HF: _ Matthew Bode _ Nathan Bassett _ Tyson Edwards
_C: _ Tyson Stenglein _ Mark Ricciuto _ James Gallagher
HB: _ Jason Torney _ Ken McGregor _ Ben Hart
_B: _ Nigel Smart _ Ben Rutten _ Graham John****
1R: _ Rhett Biglands _ Andrew McLeod _ Simon Goodwin

Int: _ Matthew Clarke _ Chris Ladhams _ Michael Doughty
____ Brent Reilly _ Ben Marsh:eek: _ Ian Perrie

Emg: _ Martin Mattner _ Andrew Crowell _ Jacob Schuback

Wow great report macca:) I say look out Pt Adelaide:) They had a write up in todays Hearld Sun in Melbourne on how well Carey played in the trial game, I think a few people are changing their thoughts and how he will go this year and beyond:)I believe if he is managed properly he will be playing for quite awhile, Burns I think needed a fresh start,I have always admired the way he plays his footy and I think will be very dangerous this year especially playing at Careys feet:)Hopefully Welsh can have a full season this year,I was impressed with the way he was playing until he got injuried last seaon he will be out to make amends:)A third premiership coming up for our Mighty Crows I believe:)

I think you are allowed 6 on the interchange bench in the Wiz Cup. I still hope Stevo will be ready but in case he isn't this is how I would line them up (taking into account players who have put their hand up during pre-season)

_F: _ Brett Buron _ Wayne Carey _ Ronnie Burns
HF: _ Matthew Bode _ Nathan Bassett _ Tyson Edwards
_C: _ Tyson Stenglein _ Mark Ricciuto _ James Gallagher
HB: _ Jason Torney _ Ken McGregor _ Ben Hart
_B: _ Nigel Smart _ Ben Rutten _ Graham John****
1R: _ Rhett Biglands _ Andrew McLeod _ Simon Goodwin

Int: _ Matthew Clarke _ Chris Ladhams _ Michael Doughty
____ Brent Reilly _ Ben Marsh:eek: _ Ian Perrie

Emg: _ Martin Mattner _ Andrew Crowell _ Jacob Schuback

Quite correct Stiffy - there are 6 on the interchange in the Wizard Wok comp.

I heard Brett Burton on 5AA yesterday and he was saying that the coaching panel have been doing a lot of work with him on holding his marks overhead while leading and under pressure. He certainly was talking as if he expects to be playing up forward, and if that proves to be correct, he will be the leading decoy to prevent teams double teaming on Carey, because Burton will become the go to man if they do. He's been doing a huge amount of goalkicking practise as well. I still expect him to play at HF and wing as well on occasions depending on the balance of the side and who we are playing. In the scratch matches he has played mainly as an on-baller and wingman - even defence at times. It will be intriguing to see where he does play most of his footy for the year. He also stated that he is now mentally over the doubts generated by his previous knee injury.

IMO you won't be far out with your opening line-up Stiffy. Minor changes could be Reilly starting on the wing instead of Gallagher who has played all matches so far as an on-baller, and Perrie at CHF if Stevo doesn't play. Bassett has played all matches so far in the back-lines so i'm not sure that they would then stick him at CHF. More likely to be Rutten if it's not Perrie.

Remember Stiffy, leave those big Serbian women behind when you return mate!!! ;) You're far too young for a "My big fat Serbian wedding". :)

Trevor Jaques said in today's Sunday Mail, that Bickley, Welsh, Massie and Begley could be available for Round 1 of the Wok Cup. It would be nice if they could be, but we don't need to rush them.

Jerome

Remember Stiffy, leave those big Serbian women behind when you return mate!!! ;) You're far too young for a "My big fat Serbian wedding". :)

Thanks for the update macca23. I just thought it would be an element of surprise to play Bassett @ CHF and Rutten @ FB. Last year Bassett was thrown into attack a few times and has done a reasonable job. Furthermore Port will most probably play with 2 talls and a resting ruckman in the forward line so something like Smart on Tredrea, Rutten on Cornes and McGregor on resting ruckman, seems to be on the cards.

As for those big Serbian women, there aren't many around. I got snowed in a cabin with a good looking chick (a friend of my female cousin). It was a rather interesting experience.:D

I think there is a possibility that I will be back in time for the Crows Vs Norwood / Eagles matches. I need to persuade my travel agent;)

Trevor Jaques said in today's Sunday Mail, that Bickley, Welsh, Massie and Begley could be available for Round 1 of the Wok Cup. It would be nice if they could be, but we don't need to rush them.

Jerome

I personally wouldn't rush any of them. I would like them to be 100% by round 1. Begley is probably best chance to play in the Wiz Cup and I personally would be all for it if he is fit. I just think with these injuries it gives a chance to blood a few youngsters during the Wiz Cup. The likes of Reilly, Schuback, Rutten, Hentschel etc... So I say get them to be 100% by round 1.

P.S. Do we have reserves Crows Vs Port this year??????

Jerome

sweet - it was fantastic to read that Massie's back in training! :D fingers crossed everyting goes right for Criss :D:cool:

Perrie is our best back-up at CHF and is very fit and strong - excellent muscle definition. He is playing as well as I've ever seen him at the moment. As for his kicking, it's obvious that Jars is spending a lot of time with him and has revised his action somewhat. When he remembers his new action he kicks very well. Under pressure he reverts back to his old style, which is sh**house..

Reilly's form demands that he plays in the Wizard Wok, and you are right on the money when you say he should be fast-tracked - this kid has got the ability to be something special long-term.

Rutten and Parker are totally different types of players, but I would put Rutten marginally ahead at this stage. Rutten is physically strong and would thrive on the physical challenge of a gorilla, to quote Pagan, and is a very rebounding defender - good at ground level as well. Parker is the old-fashioned mean defender who wears them like glue and won't let them have a sniff. A very good option against a 3rd tall in their forward pocket.

And .... ahem ..... if there is a stripper at this buck's show, we are expecting a full report on the action Kane!!! :D
If Jars can do some magic with Perrie's kicking skills that will be a huge bonus as we have never faulted his endeavour. Also, I gather you are saying Parker isn't really suited to strong forwards which Bassett has a problem with, so Rutten is the go. Macca, as much as I would love to give you a detailed analysis of the Bucks Party action (ie. similar detail to your training reports), it is probably not a good idea considering this is a family forum. ;) :D

I personally wouldn't rush any of them. I would like them to be 100% by round 1. Begley is probably best chance to play in the Wiz Cup and I personally would be all for it if he is fit. I just think with these injuries it gives a chance to blood a few youngsters during the Wiz Cup. The likes of Reilly, Schuback, Rutten, Hentschel etc... So I say get them to be 100% by round 1.

Totally agree Stiffy that we shouldn't rush any of our injured players back if there is any doubt with their fitness. We can always ease them in (ie. particularly Welshy or Bicks) for a quarter or 2 in later games. Also, we should be looking to blood some youngsters who AFC think can make an impact on 2003 or wish to fast-track.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
Macca, as much as I would love to give you a detailed analysis of the Bucks Party action (ie. similar detail to your training reports), it is probably not a good idea considering this is a family forum. ;) :D

Bugger!!! :D :D :D

Exactly right.

I would love to see the Port B v Crows B teams play again this pre season. Both clubs were happy with it last year. It would be a great game to watch before the Wok Cup game!

Jerome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back