Prediction Crystal Ball: Predictions for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes we did finish 3rd with equal wins with top place but our percentage I feel reflected our position more accurately.
We got a few wins by individual brilliance and a mental edge from years of dominance.

Yes we have got Ty, Rough, JOM and T Mitchell but a whole list makes a football side. The whole list needs to improve to be a contender not just remain at the same level as last year.

I don't see who is really going to improve on last year.
Poppy - Had his best year last year so probably not
WX - Probably Not
Smith - Probably Not
Frawley - Probably Not
Gibson - slipping
Hodge - slipping
Burgoyne - can't see how he can stay at this amazing level
Birchall - slipping
Bruest - probably not
Cyril - How can he get any better
Sheils - probably not
Duyrea - slipping
Big Boy - probably not
Shoe - probably not
Langford - probably not
Stratton - probably not
JOR - really doubt it
TOB - really doubt it
Hendo - haven't seen enough
Burton - hopefully improve
Howe - hopefully improve
Stewart - definitely improved
Sicily - hopefully improve
Brand - hopefully improve but missing

Not a slight on some aging champions of the game, but its reality.

Time will tell how good the 4 additions at the top make us, but again it is the list that wins silverware.

I hope for a 6-8 finish
You forgot Roughead who alone will counter the combined drop in output you suggest of the above-mentioned champions

Rioli career best season

Burgoyne to win the PCM without really starring during the season. Doing the right things at the right time.

Langford sends an Essendon player to hospital in round 1 while ferociously attacking a pack

Yes we did finish 3rd with equal wins with top place but our percentage I feel reflected our position more accurately.
We got a few wins by individual brilliance and a mental edge from years of dominance.

Yes we have got Ty, Rough, JOM and T Mitchell but a whole list makes a football side. The whole list needs to improve to be a contender not just remain at the same level as last year.

I don't see who is really going to improve on last year.
WX - Probably Not
Smith - Probably Not
Frawley - Probably Not
Gibson - slipping
Hodge - slipping
Birchall - slipping
Bruest - probably not
Cyril - How can he get any better
Sheils - probably not
Duyrea - slipping
Big Boy - probably not
Shoe - probably not
Langford - probably not
Stratton - probably not
JOR - really doubt it
TOB - really doubt it
Howe - hopefully improve
Sicily - hopefully improve
Brand - hopefully improve but missing

Not a slight on some aging champions of the game, but its reality.

Time will tell how good the 4 additions at the top make us, but again it is the list that wins silverware.

I hope for a 6-8 finish
Cases to be made for Whitecross, Smith, Shiels, Schoey and JOR to improve from that list as well IMO. Also Miles and Lovell.

Gut Runner - I differ on a number of them. May not be enough, but I do think you're overly harsh in your critique.

WX - Probably Not - More consistency.
Smith - Probably Not - May not step up, but would think will show more leadership, and that miss in the geelong game will burn.
Frawley - Probably Not - More knowledge and exposure to HFC game plan.
Gibson - slipping
Hodge - slipping
Birchall - slipping - Not his best year last year, hopefully bounce back from last year.
Bruest - probably not.
Cyril - How can he get any better. He will, and that will be all the improvement we need ;)
Sheils - probably not - More freedom.
Duyrea - slipping - Not his best year last year, hopefully bounce back from last year.
Big Boy - probably not - More knowledge and exposure to HFC game plan.
Shoe - probably not - More game time and injury free.
Langford - probably not. - More game time and a lock down role.
Stratton - probably not
JOR - really doubt it - More exposure
TOB - really doubt it
Howe - hopefully improve
Sicily - hopefully improve - More exposure
Brand - hopefully improve but missing - More exposure

Let's take a break from predicting some players will not have a better 2017 than their 2016, and consider some facts.

First, it is usual for the premier side to have a hangover the following year, and it has been suggested that could affect the dogs. Having said that, it is important to note our players were coming of a threepeat hangover, so it's possible that Clarko couldn't get that extra needed to make it four. We might have been only one kick away from our 5th consecutive Grand Final.

I expect Birch and Doc to lift this year; Gibo will try to find that gear he seems to have slipped back, but age may have caught up.

Burton, Howe and Brand all need keep improving, and a few of our youngsters will get plenty of games.

Personally, I would like to see our Irish imports get some time in the firsts, but that's probably because I have Irish heritage.:)

Gut Runner - I differ on a number of them. May not be enough, but I do think you're overly harsh in your critique.

WX - Probably Not - More consistency.
Smith - Probably Not - May not step up, but would think will show more leadership, and that miss in the geelong game will burn.
Frawley - Probably Not - More knowledge and exposure to HFC game plan.
Gibson - slipping
Hodge - slipping
Birchall - slipping - Not his best year last year, hopefully bounce back from last year.
Bruest - probably not.
Cyril - How can he get any better. He will, and that will be all the improvement we need ;)
Sheils - probably not - More freedom.
Duyrea - slipping - Not his best year last year, hopefully bounce back from last year.
Big Boy - probably not - More knowledge and exposure to HFC game plan.
Shoe - probably not - More game time and injury free.
Langford - probably not. - More game time and a lock down role.
Stratton - probably not
JOR - really doubt it - More exposure
TOB - really doubt it
Howe - hopefully improve
Sicily - hopefully improve - More exposure
Brand - hopefully improve but missing - More exposure

I like you positivity and I hope your right.

I think most clubs are looking towards manic pressure as the game plan of choice at the minute and this does not give our backs time and space which is really hurting Duyrea, Gibson and Birchall.

I think Clarko was trying to outsmart the rest of the comp by going with elite running players: Hill Smith Hartung, BB. And getting the whole team to slim down year after year he was hoping to get a step ahead with the reduced interchange rotations.

Unfortunately the elimination of the sub rule and general evolution of the game put a stop to this and last year we were outbustled at the contest due to our size. Also as other lists get younger we seem slower which makes us vulnerable to manic pressure, something other young sides were willing to exploit.

Clarko is very smart and realised this. I don't think he was to concerned losing Hill for this reason (Bloody looks good for Freo though). And him thinking about mid field grunt knew that SM and JL were going to go. Gee Sam looks good at WCE though - damn.

I'd be interested if anyone at training could note if we have tried to bulk players over the summer or are we going for the lean approach still.

If people really look at that Qualifying loss and think that we would have gone deeper in the finals if Smith kicked straight than I believe they are kidding themselves. The Geelong vs Hawthorn game was littered with mistakes (by both clubs) and neither side was going to go deep.

Langford is the most critical player to the side for me if we are to finish top four. It might sound odd but he has real pace that could help O'Meara

In the 2nd half of the season the old timers can see that the end is nigh & dig deep & so begins a momentous winning streak. We beat the dogs in rd23 & just make the 8. The old champs drag the young lads through the finals by beating the tiggers, geelol & gws. Setting up an epic grand final against the scum. The Hawks hold on to win 85 to 84 & Hodge wins another NS medal.
Koolaid anyone? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rest of the year predictions:
hawks to be 5-5 after 10 rounds losing to melbourne in round 7 but winning everything else.
Hawks to somehow making the 8 and winning an elimination before losin the semis
Hawks beat Doggies by 1 in rd 23 thanks to a James Cousins goal from the boundary with commentators calling him the biggest steal of all time after being rookie picked

Can't wait to read this thread for the first time with a glass of red tonight. Should be nice
I'm having issues sleeping and just went through.

Some were pretty close to the mark. Billyc was pretty spot on in his posts.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

My predictions

1. Stewart to play at least 10 games
2. Breust to be omitted for at least one game this year.

3. Schoenmakers to play down back more than Sicily.
4. Tom Mitchell to be our highest vote getting in the Brownlow.
5. Vickery to kick 30+ goals
6. Miles to player 6+ games
7. Roughead to kick 60+
8. Beat North by 10+ goals
Think i'm down to 50% of these getting up haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back