Analysis Danger on Tim Kelly + his 2020 contract

What would be an adequate trade for Tim Kelly?

• Brad AND Steven Hill from Fremantle

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Someone from West Coast

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Two top-end draft picks

Votes: 88 62.4%
  • Top-end draft pick and player

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • Other (please specify) ______________

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way we can win it is IF the second level guys step up ..and play well enough to gain status.
Hopefully our second tiers Dahlhaus, Rohan, Clark, Atkins, Fort, Constable, Narkle, Ratagolea Cockatoo will be a marked improvement on Murdoch, the neglected Thurlow and Georgie hyphen, the unavailable McCarthy, Gregson, Cockatoo, Ratagolea, and the underrated Menzel.

DO you think, given that it is likely Tim Kelly is leaving at the end of the year, is it worth giving him senior games?

Personally, I think we will play him in the first half of the season, but if Geelong has a bad year, and we can't make finals, then maybe it is better to omit him from the team, and play a youngster instead, who has a future and we can get games into.
Thats not fair on him or the supporters for that matter... and certainly not the football club I want to be involved with. You pick your best team at every available moment.
After the way they have neglected Tim (and his family) time and time again, even after a sublime season with the cats, I think if they play too cute Tim might just let them know that enough is enough and sign a lucrative 5 year deal with Freo or with us.
How have we neglected them Laz.... my understanding is we have bent pver backwards to accommodate him and the family on field and off. He signed a two year contract with a professional sporting body, his employer, and its not unreasonable to ask him to honor that contract.
Now if the Kellys needed to go home on compassionate grounds, and we didn't release them, I would agree, but as soon as they refused to go to Fremantle, they lost all leverage on family grounds.
Now theres a lot of speculation why they refused to go to Freo... Ive heard its because the wife had a very nasty break up with one of the Hill boys before she trapped Tim. Regardless, Tim has been utterly professional, the club has been utterly professional, and neither party should feel aggrieved with where things are at.
The wife seems like a bit of a trouble maker to me, too much time on her hands perhaps, (even with a brood of young babies) she comes across as very entitled. My advice to everyone is to stop listening to her, and focus on what Tim does on the pitch. Whatever will be will be after that!

Thats not fair on him or the supporters for that matter... and certainly not the football club I want to be involved with. You pick your best team at every available moment.

How have we neglected them Laz.... my understanding is we have bent pver backwards to accommodate him and the family on field and off. He signed a two year contract with a professional sporting body, his employer, and its not unreasonable to ask him to honor that contract.
Now if the Kellys needed to go home on compassionate grounds, and we didn't release them, I would agree, but as soon as they refused to go to Fremantle, they lost all leverage on family grounds.
Now theres a lot of speculation why they refused to go to Freo... Ive heard its because the wife had a very nasty break up with one of the Hill boys before she trapped Tim. Regardless, Tim has been utterly professional, the club has been utterly professional, and neither party should feel aggrieved with where things are at.
The wife seems like a bit of a trouble maker to me, too much time on her hands perhaps, (even with a brood of young babies) she comes across as very entitled. My advice to everyone is to stop listening to her, and focus on what Tim does on the pitch. Whatever will be will be after that!
Larry meant west coast neglecting them i believe.

I'm saying how WC have neglected him, not Geelong.

If WC dont want to offer much, would the AFL compensation pick be any good? Im happy for him to go if he wants to, would be nice if it got done without people complaining about the club to the papers though.
Won’t be any AFL compo he is not a FA

Something interesting- I remember reading that Kelly’s wife didn’t like the Hills and this is why he didn’t want to go to Freo.

In the Deadly’s team, Kelly played with one of the Hill’s.

Hopefully for Geelong to get fair compensation, if Kelly is leaving, then hopefully Freo can become an option.

Something interesting- I remember reading that Kelly’s wife didn’t like the Hills and this is why he didn’t want to go to Freo.

In the Deadly’s team, Kelly played with one of the Hill’s.

Hopefully for Geelong to get fair compensation, if Kelly is leaving, then hopefully Freo can become an option.

Better start looking at players not picks imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just want to know if he will play the right way when he gets on the field. Being professional in a team sport.

Blokes in contract years disgruntled tend to look after there own numbers and the supporters and media love it. But it ends up hurting the team because last year defensively in the midfield geelong was poor. Accountability with the 6-6-6 rules is going to be really important to win games.

He can go at years end so this saga can end he never considered re-committing had a deal on the table all last season. Asked for trade if he back flipped from all this and re-signed you would be concerned of the character going into the future if things don't go well will he drop his Bundle and demand a trade.

We have seen players like him before come and go no biggie. He will be a nice player not a great player.

I just want to know if he will play the right way when he gets on the field. Being professional in a team sport.

Blokes in contract years disgruntled tend to look after there own numbers and the supporters and media love it. But it ends up hurting the team because last year defensively in the midfield geelong was poor. Accountability with the 6-6-6 rules is going to be really important to win games.

He can go at years end so this saga can end he never considered re-committing had a deal on the table all last season. Asked for trade if he back flipped from all this and re-signed you would be concerned of the character going into the future if things don't go well will he drop his Bundle and demand a trade.

We have seen players like him before come and go no biggie. He will be a nice player not a great player.

Ray...
a vote off the B&F in Y1.. a bit better than nice imo.

IF we could keep him..ie he decides to resign ..id say we would be confident that he has taken a while for him to settle but it has happened and he may well now be happy here long term. I think we will know more by July.. if he still hasnt signed by then the media will be talking up the move.

Last edited:
Ray...
a vote of the B&F in Y1.. a bit better than nice imo.

IF we could keep him..ie he decides to resign ..id say we would be confident that he has taken a while for him to settle but it has happened and he may well now be happy here long term. I think we will know more by July.. if he still hasnt signed by then the media will be talking up the move.

And...... does that make him a great player ? Because he had one good season first up. Micheal barlow was a nice player first up too.

You want to jump on the wagon go for it, I'm not concerned if he stays or goes because I personally don't think he will end up any better than a brad hill type. Perhaps stephen hill !

He most definately will not sign anything or release comments prior to the end of season if he learnt anything from last year.

He takes the dangerfield rout plays well says he has a lot to think about and releases a statement thanking geelong for his service. It's not a big issue not everybody is going to like sleepy hollow. The fact he refused a trade to freo and would play an extra season at geelong and was adamant about going to west coast shows all the mindset I need to see.

No one on here apart from Tim Kelly signing on the dotted line will change my views on this no media, no twitter, Brian cook, anyone.

And...... does that make him a great player ? Because he had one good season first up. Micheal barlow was a nice player first up too.

You want to jump on the wagon go for it, I'm not concerned if he stays or goes because I personally don't think he will end up any better than a brad hill type.

He most definately will not sign anything or release comments prior to the end of season if he learnt anything from last year.

He takes the dangerfield rout plays well says he has a lot to think about and releases a statement thanking geelong for his service. It's not a big issue not everybody is going to like sleepy hollow. The fact he refused a trade to freo and would play an extra season at geelong and was adamant about going to west coast shows all the mindset I need to see.

No one on here apart from Tim Kelly signing on the dotted line will change my views on this no media, no twitter, Brian cook, anyone.

It makes him better than nice. but you are 100% entitled to your views ..

I appreciated it too.

I don't like it when the media keeps saying he was trying to get home, or that we prevented him from going home because that is utter hogwash.

Kelly refused to go to Freo.

This means he didn't want to go home, he wanted to play for the Eagles.

If the Suns ever go belly up ..I think it may be good for everyone that a 3rd wa side was introduced. WC is bordering T-Rex status atm.. they have a huge stadium in wa now .. and its almost unhealthy to have such a unbalance control in that state. Maybe its to late...

Sure Kelly only wanted to go WC ... but really so what. Every player should be able to determine where they want to play but we all know why there are these kind of burdens on players .. so 4 years after drafting would seem fair enough for most players. And of course Kelly is only in Y2.. but players like Kelly really are different. The afl's rules really have bound him... if they had the rules that are in now wc might have predrafted him like we did for krueger. He was past over multiple times in the draft surely there is an argument that after that happens you should be able to just list someone.The inequities of the draft mean someone like kelly who has obvious encumbrances compared to the normal 18 year old draftee like a Clark ... has had to watch guys like Brownless or Sclengsog or who ever get drafted directly to a club they were happy with. Where they wanted play. Just last year 17 out 78 drafted had a much better chance of going to the place they wanted to ..with only the off kid not being matched. Fair ?

So I dont really have an issue with him choosing where he wants to play. The call I have read often from clubs supporters like suns is we should be able to just sell him to the best bidder etc. which I disagree with. For mine there would be less go home.. if players did just get shipped somewhere they didnt want to be in the first place. IF Kelly was a FA .. do we really think he would have chosen us over WC.

so anyway... come the end of the year I suspect we will have to deal the eagles if a trade is requested.

Hopefully our second tiers Dahlhaus, Rohan, Clark, Atkins, Fort, Constable, Narkle, Ratagolea Cockatoo will be a marked improvement on Murdoch, the neglected Thurlow and Georgie hyphen, the unavailable McCarthy, Gregson, Cockatoo, Ratagolea, and the underrated Menzel.
Why would you put in fort but not abbott or smith who are both clearly a class above fort.

Also you may be missing fogerty from your list.

Roos gave me a chuckle last night when he gave Kelly a whack for not wanting to play under his mate Lyon at Freo.

Was surprised he said it but probably fair with what he said.
i also laughed at that, "he wanted to go home, but not to Freo... so he really didn't want to go home that badly did he?"
LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back