Rumour Dangerfield to announce he is re-signing on The Footy Show??

Remove this Banner Ad

I take danger at his word on this matter. He wants to play in a flag, first and foremost. Being captain would be an added bonus. He will, and he knows that he will, earn more money than he will be able to spend from footy. Both playing and then media or coaching. World is at his feet and and I don't see him as a mercenary. He might move on, but I doubt it will be about money.

I know the golden word around this place right now is 'review' but if Danger leave, we have a complete independent review as to why our gun players leave.

Port kept Boak, Trengrove and a number of other very good young players but we have actually struggled to keep a number of interstate recruits.
would the minimum spend requirement on the salary cap be a factor there? Lets be honest, Boak probably fit more into the highly-rated/potential/could be anything bracket at the time of his last signing, as would have most of the Port list pre-2013 boom. I feel like at least a few of them were probably locking in overs for their current contracts (although of course most have probably "grown into" those pay packets now).

I know the golden word around this place right now is 'review' but if Danger leave, we have a complete independent review as to why our gun players leave.

Port kept Boak, Trengrove and a number of other very good young players but we have actually struggled to keep a number of interstate recruits.

That crap is all a fallacy.

Port have lost Chaplin, Pearce and Burgoyne over the last few years. The player retention issue is a problem for both clubs, Port have had the luxury recently with their salary cap space to offer guys like Trengrove big coin, but once the values of guys like Wingard start increasing and there's less money to offer they'll then go back to having the same issues that both clubs have had in the past with player retention.

They had something on TFS tonight about the commission changing the Swans academy rating system. I feel they will alter the father son rating as well and we will have to give up a top 5 pick for Ben Jarman.

Ben Jarman for Patrick Dangerfield - yeah, thats fair but its the AFL, so we know the AFL will make it happen.

Pretty sure that F/S bids have to come from your standard draft pool and any concessional or traded picks aren't included.

They had something on TFS tonight about the commission changing the Swans academy rating system. I feel they will alter the father son rating as well and we will have to give up a top 5 pick for Ben Jarman.

Ben Jarman for Patrick Dangerfield - yeah, thats fair but its the AFL, so we know the AFL will make it happen.

I wouldn't think it would change much. It's unlikely that a club is going to pull in top talent from Father Son picks every year, but it's certainly possible when you have dibs on players from an academy that draws its talent from an entire state.

If buddy can leave the reigning premier anything can happen. The hawks chose not to match a deal they weren't comfortable with.

I wonder if there is a point we won't go past considering how many miles his style of play puts on the clock?

If buddy can leave the reigning premier anything can happen. The hawks chose not to match a deal they weren't comfortable with.

I wonder if there is a point we won't go past considering how many miles his style of play puts on the clock?

God I hope Roo is on top of this and gets the club to pull the trousers on. Our club especially can't do a year of that kind of distraction and uncertainty. And then if he leaves and we get pick 12 for him..

I hope Danger is better than that and we take the initiative and get it done this year. Can't afford to get caught with our pants down again, else we deserve to perpetually make up the numbers.
This is starting to sound much like Tippettgate #2....inordinate pressure from the fans / expectations that we have unlimited capacity to keep anyone at any cost. My gut feel is that he'd only leave us for the Cats - and I don't think it's all about the cash (although a few of their guns like Bartel, Johnson are not far off retiring - so they'd have plenty of cap space). We'd want to make the 8 this year I think to give him the incentive to stay on with a 'semi-successful' team - captaincy wouldn't hurt either. If we give VB the captaincy next year, and not make the finals this year then we'll struggle to keep him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he hasn't signed by this time next year and we are in a similar spot on ladder - we better start tanking.

If he leaves, we will get a category 1 compensation pick.

2 top 5 picks will be nice.

You only get one compensation pick - see Franklin.

Two picks were only available if players left to one of the expansion clubs.

This is starting to sound much like Tippettgate #2....inordinate pressure from the fans / expectations that we have unlimited capacity to keep anyone at any cost. My gut feel is that he'd only leave us for the Cats - and I don't think it's all about the cash (although a few of their guns like Bartel, Johnson are not far off retiring - so they'd have plenty of cap space). We'd want to make the 8 this year I think to give him the incentive to stay on with a 'semi-successful' team - captaincy wouldn't hurt either. If we give VB the captaincy next year, and not make the finals this year then we'll struggle to keep him.
Big difference is that Tiprat hated living in Adelaide, because of the fishbowl effect. Dangerfield has never given any indication that he's unhappy living in SA.

And VB will be Captain again next year, bookmark it.

Everyone knew Tippett wanted to go home for years before he did. If Danger was thinking about going home it would have leaked. Too many team mates, friends and family in the spot light to hide any secret like this. I suspect this has created the upfront questioning we see most often and the hysterical rumour mongering when Danger doesn't give an answer we don't like. He has stated on numerous occasions that had he decided to go home he already would have and his dad has stated he believes his son will stay a Crow for life. I think he just wants to get the best financial deal possible from the club hence no long term deals.

Big difference is that Tiprat hated living in Adelaide, because of the fishbowl effect. Dangerfield has never given any indication that he's unhappy living in SA.

And VB will be Captain again next year, bookmark it.
Yeah but I am not happy about Dangers responses and the absolute bullshit answer " I have not thought about it yet".
Yep you are being asked it every time speak to Vic media and you haven't thought about it.
And Crows have not spoken to him about signing now . What a crock Danger you have learnt to insult our intelligence like our leaders.
Nobody wants to lose Danger but had a very ordinary year for a person of his ability and really has been a turnover king with a high percentage of his touches ends up in opposition hands.
So Danger make up your mind and let club know and lets get a good deal for you so you can get act together and dominate teams for us , or let us get a decent deal for you before we get raped again by AFL.

But we will get our own first round pick.

Depends if someone bids for him or not, if no-one bids then we'll get him cheaply, but if someone bids (and you can bet your life that Port will just to make sure that we lose our first round pick) then we'll have to pay up our first round pick.

Depends if someone bids for him or not, if no-one bids then we'll get him cheaply, but if someone bids (and you can bet your life that Port will just to make sure that we lose our first round pick) then we'll have to pay up our first round pick.
If Port are the only team to bid, then we'll probably only have to use our 2nd.. One one hand, that's a good thing, because it would mean us keeping our 1st round draft pick.:) On the other, it also implies that Port finish above us on the ladder. :(

Yeah but I am not happy about Dangers responses and the absolute bullshit answer " I have not thought about it yet".
Yep you are being asked it every time speak to Vic media and you haven't thought about it.
And Crows have not spoken to him about signing now . What a crock Danger you have learnt to insult our intelligence like our leaders.

Totally agree.

Everyone's thought about their future. Everyone. Regardless of profession. To say otherwise is just.... as you say, "a bulls__t answer".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back