Rumour Dangerfield to announce he is re-signing on The Footy Show??

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends if someone bids for him or not, if no-one bids then we'll get him cheaply, but if someone bids (and you can bet your life that Port will just to make sure that we lose our first round pick) then we'll have to pay up our first round pick.

am i right in saying that that scenario can only occur when the bidding club has finished beneath you on the ladder. if it was to happen at this draft and port were to bid their first round pick at 15, we would only have to take him with our next available, which would be 2nd round. either way you always get a discount, if st kilda were prepared to pay pick 1 and we end up paying pick 9, we are still ahead. no more 3rd round abletts these days.

am i right in saying that that scenario can only occur when the bidding club has finished beneath you on the ladder. if it was to happen at this draft and port were to bid their first round pick at 15, we would only have to take him with our next available, which would be 2nd round. either way you always get a discount, if st kilda were prepared to pay pick 1 and we end up paying pick 9, we are still ahead. no more 3rd round abletts these days.
Exactly what I was suggesting with this post:
If Port are the only team to bid, then we'll probably only have to use our 2nd.. One one hand, that's a good thing, because it would mean us keeping our 1st round draft pick.:) On the other, it also implies that Port finish above us on the ladder. :(

Just like he wasn't going to be appointed Captain in 2014?

did anyone state he wouldn't be. i might have, but only in jest, because claiming opinion as fact can be fun. obviously something that i dont' have to tell you that. i know there was huge discussion about whether he'd be the right choice given his relatively poor 2013 campaign and potential pressure just to hold a spot in the best 21. reckon there's a real chance he could be another reilly if he doesn't come back in much better form than he finished 2013 in.

did anyone state he wouldn't be. i might have, but only in jest, because claiming opinion as fact can be fun. obviously something that i dont' have to tell you that. i know there was huge discussion about whether he'd be the right choice given his relatively poor 2013 campaign and potential pressure just to hold a spot in the best 21. reckon there's a real chance he could be another reilly if he doesn't come back in much better form than he finished 2013 in.
My biggest concern is not whether he can recover his pre-2013 form, but what impact his achilles injury has on his ability to perform. We've seen this year, through Laird, the effect that a lack of certainty regarding a player's role can have. VB's situation last year was virtually identical, with identical results. Sando has a lot to answer for when it comes to our 2013 disasters.

My biggest concern is not whether he can recover his pre-2013 form, but what impact his achilles injury has on his ability to perform. We've seen this year, through Laird, the effect that a lack of certainty regarding a player's role can have. VB's situation last year was virtually identical, with identical results. Sando has a lot to answer for when it comes to our 2013 disasters.

agree 100%, which is why i think it would be better for VB and the club if he didn't have the added burden/expectation that comes with captaincy. he'd still be just as valuable as a true leader at the club and he can concentrate on his own game, recovering from a significant injury and hopefully return to being an important cog in our midfield rotations or off half back. i just don't think that the potential reward of vb being captain over danger,sloane or talia is large enough to counter-act the risks of him not recoving fully or quick enough or continuing with 2013 form rather than regaining 2011/12.

No AFL club in their right mind will bid over what they are prepared to pay in terms of draft choice, just to force the other clubs hand.

Would be an extremely dumb move.

I'm basing this on the prediction that he will more than likely be one of the best SA kids in the draft in 2 years time.

Clearly if Ben Jarman is only looking like a late pick/rookie type player they wouldn't, but if he looks like a top 15 pick do you really think that they wouldn't put in a bid just to ensure that we have to give up a decent pick for him.

Of course they were going to, he will get the question anytime he does an interview over there, just a fact of life. I personally think he'll re-sign after the season so he doesn't keep getting asked about it next year and put any extra pressure on the team.

IMO, if our management had any stones what so ever, they'd offer him a nice 4 year extension minimum at the end of this season before trade period. If his management says they want to wait, then the club should seriously look at trading him to get the best deal they possibly can.

I personally reckon he'll resign... and that's based on nothing other than he seems like an honourable dude.

Last edited:
I'm basing this on the prediction that he will more than likely be one of the best SA kids in the draft in 2 years time.

Clearly if Ben Jarman is only looking like a late pick/rookie type player they wouldn't, but if he looks like a top 15 pick do you really think that they wouldn't put in a bid just to ensure that we have to give up a decent pick for him.

Anything is possible I guess...from what I understand Jarman isn't looking like being a really high draft selection at the moment, but who knows come draft time!

It's not the first thread and won't be any where near the last considering there is another 12 months before he'll probably sign. The scrutiny will get heavy next year, hope it doesn't distract the side.

I doubt money is a consideration because he knows he'll have a lifetime in the AFL if he has success (coaching, media etc.). "Patrick Dangerfield, two time premiership player, premiership captain, x AA selections, brownlow medalist (if he's lucky)" has a nice ring to it. No player wants to retire without a flag, particularly if they're in the spotlight and it gets said after their name five times a week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No AFL club in their right mind will bid over what they are prepared to pay in terms of draft choice, just to force the other clubs hand.

Would be an extremely dumb move.
Exactly, can't take the pick offered up back if the 'other' club calls their bluff!!

You have to ring Ticketek on 132 849 and the tickets are $75 each.

Perth sold out in 20 minutes.

You have to ring Ticketek on 132 849 and the tickets are $75 each.

Perth sold out in 20 minutes.

What time did they go on sale?
I checked by chance at 7:50 and got back row tickets. Better than nothing I suppose but a bit pissed off there wasn't notice of when they would be on sale.

What time did they go on sale?
I checked by chance at 7:50 and got back row tickets. Better than nothing I suppose but a bit pissed off there wasn't notice of when they would be on sale.

As said above - you had to watch the channel 9 news and they went on sale about 6:40 pm.

Got my tickets for the Footy Show. We bought them right on 6:15 when they went on sale. Section C so front and centre by the looks! Can't wait!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back