List Mgmt. Delisted Free Agents - who should we be targeting?

Who should we target as a DFA?

• Josh Walker

Votes: 28 16.4%
  • Matthew Lobbe

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Harley Bennell

Votes: 91 53.2%
  • Wylie Buzza

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Jack Leslie

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Aidyn Johnson

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Callum Moore

Votes: 38 22.2%
  • Billy Longer

Votes: 19 11.1%
  • Lukas Webb

Votes: 43 25.1%
  • Richard Douglas

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Jacob Townsend

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Connor Menadue

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Chris Masten

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Lachlan Henderson

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Ben Keays

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Fletcher Roberts

• None

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Ex DFA - Luke Partington

Votes: 22 12.9%
  • Sam Murray

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Jay Kennedy-Harris

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Zac Clarke

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Archie Smith

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Hugh Dixon

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Sam Gray

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Sam Skinner

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair question, I've never been convinced tbh he's helped any of our rucks actually ruck and win a ruck tap out recently Max Bailey maybe but he was too tall not to get the tap out, but I am convinced he's the best on bench bloke to pass messages on to players or stop Clarko going off.

And I believe that has been his role for at least the past 5 years or so and he's done it well.

Is Monkey a good Ruck coach? Genuine question... is he highly regarded within/outside the club?
Interesting question. I have no inside knowledge but my observation is that he is good with the technicalities of ruck work. Hence he is able to get lesser rucks (due to height or jumping ability) to negate through body positioning or angles of the run up that minimise the strength of the opposition ruckman. I don’t know how many times I watched Hale and Bigboy nullify Natanui‘s or Sandiland’s impact.

There are some supporters that expect miracles from someone who is shorter, ie. Big Boy, to win tap outs to advantage consistently

Callum Moore would be an ideal fit as he not only fills a need on the list, but Essendon also has interest in him so to take him before the Bombers even get a chance would be hilarious.
Which need?
We have plenty of forwards:

Established Senior Footballers
Patton
Lewis
Gunston
O'Brien
Breust

Option
Sicily

Developing
Walker
Ross

Even without Patton, I don't see a need for Moore.

We need midfield class, KP defenders and perhaps smaller forward/mids.

Harely Bennell,
When at his best he runs from fwd to back and impacts along the way.

At his best he gets 23 disposals per game.

I understand the hype around Bennel but for mine... no thanks.

previso: if he trained with the club throughout the preseason.. with a view to rookie ...and got through it... . then yes. But another club will take him as a delisted free agent.
I’d prefer Partington.

Last edited:
Ben Keays and/or Sam Murray would be a nice addition
My take on Sam Murray:

I was concerned by the article on AFL.com.au where he expressed his desire to get back on a list. Murray doesn't say anything about anyone but himself. Seems to think his football ability makes him entitled a second chance. Painted a picture of himself as on some noble comeback trail. It really wrinkled my nose reading it. Seems to forget he has no one but himself to blame for letting down his club and his teammates. Bragging about how good a footballer he still is, I just thought he seemed like a total moron.

My take on Sam Murray:

I was concerned by the article on AFL.com.au where he expressed his desire to get back on a list. Murray doesn't say anything about anyone but himself. Seems to think his football ability makes him entitled a second chance. Painted a picture of himself as on some noble comeback trail. It really wrinkled my nose reading it. Seems to forget he has no one but himself to blame for letting down his club and his teammates. Bragging about how good a footballer he still is, I just thought he seemed like a total moron.
Say what you like about Eddie, the one thing I really admire about him is his loyalty. The fact that Murray has been given his marching orders rings alarm bells to me. The kid has talent but I have read some fairly disparaging things about his personality on several forums - have no knowledge about the validity of these comments.

My take on Sam Murray:

His kicking is diabolical as well

Not sure we want to be adding more poor ball users to our back half.

but I am convinced he's the best on bench bloke to pass messages lollies on to players or stop Clarko going off.

And I believe that has been his role for at least the past 5 years or so and he's done it well.

FIFY

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how is walker superior? Some comments here are borderline comedic and inept.
Are you serious? Crocker is extremely lucky to be on a list, he’s very ordinary, walker is in his first year and already outperformed him, even off the back of no pre season. Hoping your talking about someone else cause you are the one that looks comedic and inept atm

Are you serious? Crocker is extremely lucky to be on a list, he’s very ordinary, walker is in his first year and already outperformed him, even off the back of no pre season. Hoping your talking about someone else cause you are the one that looks comedic and inept atm

Mate get your hand off it.. what exposed form has Walker had at the elite level? Crocker has almost averaged a goal game nearing 30 games in 4 years, he is playing the role that DeGoey, Stephanson, Hoskin-Elliot and Elliott, there’s a reason it’s hard to break into.

I’d take Crocker in a heartbeat, he would be pushing our best 22 if not getting a game.

Monkey is an excellent communicator. The players love him. If you actually talk to him you will know how much he knows about rucking in the AFL.

Every ruckman has strengths and weaknesses. Every ruckman needs to be aggresive. Its something monkey works on. You cant win every ruck contest unless you're sandilands but you can try and half the contest by your positioning and do more around the ground tire out the other ruck. Running smart as monkey calls it. He is highly regarded

Mate get your hand off it.. what exposed form has Walker had at the elite level? Crocker has almost averaged a goal game nearing 30 games in 4 years, he is playing the role that DeGoey, Stephanson, Hoskin-Elliot and Elliott, there’s a reason it’s hard to break into.

I’d take Crocker in a heartbeat, he would be pushing our best 22 if not getting a game.
Walker is a first year player, maybe we revisit this in 4 years when he’s had a chance to prove himself. No the reason he’s not getting a game is because he is crap, he’ll more than likely be off an afl list at the end of next year. He kicked 10 goals from 13 games in the vfl this year, he goes at less than a goal a game at afl level. In terms of potential walker is streaks ahead of Crocker. Just wait and see how he goes after a full pre season

Walker is a first year player, maybe we revisit this in 4 years when he’s had a chance to prove himself. No the reason he’s not getting a game is because he is crap, he’ll more than likely be off an afl list at the end of next year. He kicked 10 goals from 13 games in the vfl this year, he goes at less than a goal a game at afl level. In terms of potential walker is streaks ahead of Crocker. Just wait and see how he goes after a full pre season

So basically your original comment is complete and utter rubbish? First you say Walker is already the better player (with zero exposed form) and now you say just wait and see as he’s more talented?

I don’t know why I even bother lol.

Walker has talent, he looks a good prospect but don’t make stupid comments.

So basically your original comment is complete and utter rubbish? First you say Walker is already the better player (with zero exposed form) and now you say just wait and see as he’s more talented?

I don’t know why I even bother lol.

Walker has talent, he looks a good prospect but don’t make stupid comments.
His form at vfl level was miles ahead of Crocker, despite being in the system 3 years less, Crocker will more than likely be off an afl list at the end of next year, so you’re the only one making stupid Comments. I’m sorry if your related to Crocker or he’s a family friend or something but he’s an extremely limited player who would just be wasting a spot on our list

His form at vfl level was miles ahead of Crocker, despite being in the system 3 years less, Crocker will more than likely be off an afl list at the end of next year, so you’re the only one making stupid Comments. I’m sorry if your related to Crocker or he’s a family friend or something but he’s an extremely limited player who would just be wasting a spot on our list

😂😂😂😂 my oh my.

I don't think Crocker is a bad player necessarily but I think the club would be relatively happy with the progress of guys like Walker, Ross & Nash to rather get games into them. Unless Crocker is a Poppy type pressure player which from memory he wasn't that great in that area. We have a lack of defensive depth which will probably be looked at ahead of a forward.

In saying that I'd back in the club know what's best and I may be skeptical of the decision, I'll support the professionals that know best.

If everyone went by that thinking, nobody would ever debut.
Crocker has had arguably 3 decent games in his career, he has exposed form & that exposed form is below average at best.
He averages 9 disposals and less than a goal a game, why would you want to then take games away from a young guy who has the potential to offer more...hell he can't offer much less than Crocker at AFL level.

Back