List Mgmt. Delisted Free Agents - who should we be targeting?

Who should we target as a DFA?

• Josh Walker

Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Matthew Lobbe

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Harley Bennell

Votes: 91 55.8%
  • Wylie Buzza

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • Jack Leslie

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Aidyn Johnson

• Callum Moore

Votes: 38 23.3%
  • Billy Longer

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • Lukas Webb

Votes: 43 26.4%
  • Richard Douglas

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Jacob Townsend

Votes: 13 8.0%
  • Connor Menadue

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Chris Masten

Votes: 12 7.4%
  • Lachlan Henderson

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Ben Keays

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Fletcher Roberts

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • None

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Ex DFA - Luke Partington

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Sam Murray

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Jay Kennedy-Harris

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Zac Clarke

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Archie Smith

Votes: 13 8.0%
  • Hugh Dixon

• Sam Gray

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Sam Skinner

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Kipster

Brownlow Medallist
May 11, 2006
Private Idaho
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Coast Racing Pigeon Club
I remember we were going after Billy Longer. Ended up Shane Savage traded to Saints & getting big boy.

We should go for Billy Longer
Billy Longer has not managed to get on the park consistently for 2yrs, this is mainly due to significant concussion injuries and has therefore retired.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
Also remember when we were after Longer. Also remember people being a bit confused when we got McEvoy instead. Somehow we actually managed to pull off the bunch of mid-low range picks and a fringe player for a gun trade. I do recall thinking the only downside would probably be that Longer would have been a better long term prospect. Well, perish that thought!

Worth a punt on Bennell, IMO. Assuming he's got his issues reasonably well sorted out. I think the risk with those sorts of acquisitions is over-stated.

aussie80s

Team Captain
Jan 12, 2008
The Mountain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
they are not worthy
We have ZERO key position depth. Get Jack Leslie, Callum Moore and one ruck for depth who can support Reeves in the VFL.
Not sure we have zero KPD depth although we could do with more. We need to bolster a number of areas after reducing our squad to 39.

Our list currently has:
Small Backs: Impey, Burgoyne, Hardwick, Glass, Jiath
Mid Backs: Sicily, Stratton, Scrimshaw, Jones, Greaves
KPD: Frawley, Frost, Koshitzke

Inside Mid: Mitchell, Worpel, O'Meara, Howe, Shiels, Cousins
Outside Mid: Morrison, Smith, Scully, Henderson, Golds
Ruck: McEvoy, Ceglar, Reeves

Small Forward: Wingard, Breust, Puopolo, Walker, Moore, Hanrahan
Mid Forward: Gunston, Ross
KPF: Lewis, Patton, Nash, O'Brien

Granted Burgoyne, Wingard play multiple roles, as do several others.

I would be happy to take a punt on U18 All-Australian ruck Luke Jackson with our first pick if he is available as an athletic 199cm ruck/key forward but as far as targeting free agents that fill our needs I don't see any available that look likely to be in our best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collins-Langford-Ayres

Hall of Famer
Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Also remember when we were after Longer. Also remember people being a bit confused when we got McEvoy instead. Somehow we actually managed to pull off the bunch of mid-low range picks and a fringe player for a gun trade. I do recall thinking the only downside would probably be that Longer would have been a better long term prospect. Well, perish that thought!

Worth a punt on Bennell, IMO. Assuming he's got his issues reasonably well sorted out. I think the risk with those sorts of acquisitions is over-stated.
Thought the Swans were big into Bennell.

I find it hard to believe he has sorted hismelf.

Would rather us get a mature ruck to replace Pitto and go after youth.

Hawk_francais

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thought the Swans were big into Bennell.

I find it hard to believe he has sorted himself
He had meetings with ‘5 or 6’ Melbourne clubs as well according to his manager. There must be a fair bit of confidence that his injuries and behaviour are both manageable in the right environment.

I hope it’s us. I think he’s the kind of punt we can afford to take.

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I haven’t seen enough of these guys at AFL level to offer an opinion on any of them. Fortunately our recruiters are better qualified to sort the wheat from the chaff.
Having disqualified myself from being any sort of authority, I have seen Callum Moore at VFL level and was quite impressed. That was of course a year or two ago and I have no idea if he has any injury issues.

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
It will be interesting to see what happens to Bennell. No doubt a few clubs are doing their due diligence as he he is a high risk/ high reward prospect at this stage of his career.
A strong club with hard nosed leaders may be prepared to take a punt if the medicos give his calf issues the thumbs up. Rookie listing him may be the “safest” option. The down side of course is that his behavioural issues re surface and/ or the calf operations are unsuccessful.
My suspicion is that the risks may outweigh the potential rewards if you take into account his chequered history.

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Josh walker as a kpd could be a good pick up thought he wasn't bad when playing seniors , but I don't think our kpp stocks are as bad as some make out . O'briem will be our swingman and clarko definetly liked mcevoy back there end of season.

Leather Poisoning

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
Our KPP stocks are fine.

In round 22 we had McEvoy, Ceglar, Frawley as genuine talls, and Sicily, Timbo, Nash, Gunston as pseudo talls.

And we beat West coast by 6 goals in perth.

So if you add Lewis, Patton and Frost to that list we are totally fine for height and KP depth. Lots of flexibility there.

To this end - I'm not keen on getting a DFA key position player. Total waste.
Another ruck backup would be great. Have seen too many times where we've been heavily compromised in the ruck area.

In terms of midfield/running power we'll have Mitchell back. With the additional tall (Patton) we'll have more flexibility with how we use Wingard and Gunston.

We're flush with options.

We need class. Finding guys who are highly talented but have injury histories or other concerns is what we need.
Also - the Minchington experiment obviously failed so we'll look for a small forward

Blackhawk42

Premiership Player
Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Menedue because we lack pace.

Keays because he reinvented himself as a small forward and bagged 43 goals in the 2's. Need depth in this area.

Webb because I always felt he fit the Hawthorn mould being a nice, classy left footer.

Cyrillic

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
So if you add Lewis, Patton and Frost to that list we are totally fine for height and KP depth. Lots of f
To this end - I'm not keen on getting a DFA key position player. Total waste.
agree with this.

if we are looking at any delisted players then only one please, and possibly Webb if he is medically sound

Harper_Hawk

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2011
Where kookaburras chuckle.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Why has Jacob Townsend fallen out of favour with Richmond? Surplus to needs. Its not often a premiership player get delisted!...and I thought he was really one of the group of first Richmond finals players of 2017 that set the tone of manic hard forward pressure they adopted and have since carried through.
Is there a spot for him at the Hawks?

Zack

All Australian
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
That list is missing kaiden brand.

And tbh honest as a back up suits our list weaknesses slightly better than the others.

Bennell could play but its been years since we've seen it.

Don't think we'll take any of them though but who saw the Mohr signing coming?

Judd2Sewell

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Why has Jacob Townsend fallen out of favour with Richmond? Surplus to needs. Its not often a premiership player get delisted!...and I thought he was really one of the group of first Richmond finals players of 2017 that set the tone of manic hard forward pressure they adopted and have since carried through.
Is there a spot for him at the Hawks?
He had a short hot streak that coincided with their late season form and finals run. It was never going to be sustainable.

Top Bottom