List Mgmt. Delisting and drafting is almost as fun as trading: The trade and draft megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Lycett wants to come back on a reduced contract and term, bring him home.

The champagne hasn’t dried from inside the premiership cup so it’s not too late.

Come on. It's a bit early to be pouring s**t on a premiership hero. If he leaves, so be it. But he'll still be a WC premiership player who, along with Vardy, stepped up and played above themselves in our three finals, where they teamed up to beat Grundy, Gawn then Grundy. Whatever happens from here on, Lycett deserves a measure of respect for what he did this when it counted. He's not a superstar, but he did a job when we needed him to.
Now now, I've said as much. Agree with you completely.

But old mate was banging on like we were going to be screwed without him, so i had to slam dunk the campaigner with some counter arguments.

I didn't rate Lycett before the flag, I don't rate him after it, but he played a massive part in the clubs 4th premiership and I respect that completely.

Now now, I've said as much. Agree with you completely.

But old mate was banging on like we were going to be screwed without him. So i had to slam dunk the campaigner with some counter thoughts.

I didn't rate Lycett before the flag, I don't rate him after it, but he played a massive part in the clubs 4th premiership and I respect that greatly.
If he goes, we'll need a replacement. I'd sooner keep Lycett if it's feasible. He brings some heat.

Last edited:
I think for Port to lodge the offer Lycett has to sign something with them. He's agreed to terms with them unless we match the offer
I'm not sure about that. Port have lodged an offer but Lycett hasn't done s**t.

I'm not sure about that. Port have lodged an offer but Lycett hasn't done s**t.
Port hasn't lodged an offer with Lycett, Port has signed Lycett and lodged the free agent paperwork with the AFL pending us not matching. Would imagine that as soon as we indicate we won't match then Port/Lycetts agreement becomes valid.
Believe there's no backing out from either side once that free agent paperwork is lodged with the AFL.

Port hasn't lodged an offer with Lycett, Port has signed Lycett and lodged the free agent paperwork with the AFL pending us not matching. Would imagine that as soon as we indicate we won't match then Port/Lycetts agreement becomes valid.
Believe there's no backing out from either side once that free agent paperwork is lodged with the AFL.
Are you sure? I must admit I don't really know the process. I thought players generally declare a willingness to explore free agency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you sure? I must admit I don't really know the process. I thought players generally declare a willingness to explore free agency.
Yes, they have to have a contract negotiated and an agreement of some sort signed. Otherwise we wouldn't know what we have to match. There's likely been two months plus of negotiations between Port, Lycett and his manager, Lycett then agrees to sign with Port and they lodge the paperwork with the AFL.

Yes, they have to have a contract negotiated and an agreement of some sort signed. Otherwise we wouldn't know what we have to match. There's likely been two months plus of negotiations between Port, Lycett and his manager, Lycett then agrees to sign with Port and they lodge the paperwork with the AFL.
That's unfortunate. So even if Lycett wants to stay, he doesn't have that option.

Can we sign Lycett on that contract and then renegotiate to lower it again at a later date?
No

Well we can, but for salary cap purposes the original contract will be used

I like Lycett but 5 x 600k is a bit rich.
If the club thought he was worth that t would have already have been offered

$600k a season is maybe only slightly overs but 5 years is 2 too many for a player with durability issues

With a fit Naitanui he’s also 3rd in line as I think Vardy offers more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back