News Dickson's new deal

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-05-08/dicksons-new-deal
Forward Tory Dickson is the latest Bulldog to extend his contract with the Club, penning a new two-year deal on Thursday.

The dangerous goal sneak joins talented youngsters Jack Macrae, Jake Stringer and Lachy Hunter in showing faith in the Bulldogs' direction under coach Brendan McCartney in the past few months.

Recruited as a mature aged player from the Bendigo Bombers with pick 57 in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft, Dickson says he couldn't be happier remaining at Victoria University Whitten Oval.

"It's been great to agree to terms, I'm really excited, I think we're going places and its really good to put pen to paper," Dickson said.

"It's my third year, I feel I'm growing year by year but I've still got a lot to learn."

But reflecting on his efforts in the Bulldogs' opening round thrashing at the hands of the Eagles, he has no doubts why he spent the next month in the VFL.

"I played round one, and there was a couple of soft efforts, and I wasn't proud of them," he said.

"If you're not playing the right way, you're going to find yourself out of the team."

A chat with McCartney and forwards coach Shannon Grant quickly reminded the 26-year-old what is expected of him.

"It was to do with form, it was to do with effort and work rate," Dickson said.

"I guess I just went back (to the VFL) and worked on a few little things I needed to work on and then found my way back in to the team."

It's not the first time the former Essendon assistant coaches have had an influence on Dickson's rise from suburban footballer to a Bulldog regular.

"I guess I have them (McCartney and Grant) to thank really, (after) going back and giving VFL another go playing with the Bendigo Bombers," he said.

"You never know, maybe if those guys weren't there I might not have got that opportunity, so I'm very grateful to them and the Western Bulldogs."

If that's the case, very happy. Both boys are in our best 22, both seem to love being at the club and it'll be good to have them locked away.
Glad we're not a club being held to ransom by our players, and that they're signing early and demonstrating some faith in the club's direction even if it hasn't quite materialised yet.

Worried JJ is gone...won't sign
Might be a bit disillusioned and I think he looks quite disinterested on the field at the moment, but a week's a long time in footy and we're only 7 rounds into the year. He'll be fine.

Might be a bit disillusioned and I think he looks quite disinterested on the field at the moment, but a week's a long time in footy and we're only 7 rounds into the year. He'll be fine.
Heard his manager stopped talks with the club at the beginning of the evening

Heard his manager stopped talks with the club at the beginning of the evening
If that's the case, that's not a good sign.
I still think he fits in really well with the group and won't leave, but who knows.

I am ok with this news but admit i would have been ok if he only got a one year deal too. I am not sure he is best 22 but i suppose it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the coaches know more about football than i do. I see him as a reasonable foot soldier. My view is that to win a flag we need more A graders and the best way to do that is to create spots on the list for players that may or may not turn out to be A graders. i hope he keeps improving and rewards the faith shown.

JJ is probably a young player that thinks he is worth more then he is, no club will be really chasing after him
if he doesn't start performing better; I personally think he'll be a late re-signing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard things about JJ's attitude, which may explain him not cementing his position yet.
If he were to leave, not sure we would get a great deal for him. He's been with us 4?? years and has only played 20 odd games. Talent is there, but hasn't snatched his chance yet.

As for Dickson, I would prefer a one year deal with a trigger clause for a second. I worry he will be out of the team when Grant is back.

As for Dickson, I would prefer a one year deal with a trigger clause for a second. I worry he will be out of the team when Grant is back.
I agree, but is that really that big of a deal? Our list management at the moment isn't just about finding stars - it's about finding players that can play a role at AFL level. Even if Dickson doesn't end up best 22, he's shown that he's capable of playing a valuable role at AFL level, and that he can be effective depth. For mine this is fantastic for us, and best 22 or not, he should be kept around as long as he's useful for. We can't keep cycling out valuable fringe types for players that might end up better or might end up worse. Replace the deadwood with either better players or young prospects, but keep those that have shown they can play a role.

i wonder what sort of money his new deal is worth

he's not a lock for best-22, but given rotations/fatigue/injuries, he is more than handy to have on our list

I agree, but is that really that big of a deal? Our list management at the moment isn't just about finding stars - it's about finding players that can play a role at AFL level. Even if Dickson doesn't end up best 22, he's shown that he's capable of playing a valuable role at AFL level, and that he can be effective depth. For mine this is fantastic for us, and best 22 or not, he should be kept around as long as he's useful for. We can't keep cycling out valuable fringe types for players that might end up better or might end up worse. Replace the deadwood with either better players or young prospects, but keep those that have shown they can play a role.

Not a big deal at all. In all honesty, he would have to go backwards not to be on the list that second year anyway.
Thinking of it, I think it is a part of a larger list management strategy by the club to have players signed up to longer deals when they are younger.
It seems like it would be saving us some cash, i.e. imagine the figure Macrae signed up for when he renewed (300ish/year?) compared to what he would be valued at now.

stoked. Shows the club is happy with how he's progressing. I think the guys a very good player, gives good pressure, great around goal and deserves to be in an AFL forward line. From this post forward i'm sure he'll give our side a lot of games and a lot of goals

Good move, I got a feeling Dickson is going to come in to his own once Gia retires and when our big guys start standing up he's going to get a bit more freedom. Is going to be a dangerous player especially considering he's going to get the 4th/5th defender every week.

Im happy with the signing even tho I don't see him as a best 22 lock. Him stevens young all provide good long term depth and are good clubmen.

I don't think we've seen the best of Tory though. He still could become one of the best mid-forwards in the game. The problem for him is whether we set up for him or not. When we do, he kicks bags. But it's not exactly a renowned premiership model to clear out your forward 50 for a slow 6 footer.

Great news Dickson has signed a new contract with us. Think he definitely a valuable contributor to our team whether he is best 22 or not.
At his best, he is a damaging small-mid half forward who is a very accurate shot at goal. If he has a consistent season, no reason he can't kick 2 goals a game.
But even if he doesn't cement himself as best 22, he could become our version of Shannon byrnes when he was at Geelong. I remember thinking man, he should be getting a game. But would only get a game when the Cats were resting there forwards. Stokes, Chapman, Johnson all cemented the other spots. He was really competing with Stokes. But when he came in, he was damaging. Hasn't done much at Melbourne, but was good depth player in his prime.

I think Dickson can be best 22, especially now that players can't just play one position anymore. We will see what happens when Grant gets back, if Dickson can hold his spot. If Stringer cements his spot in the backline, then Dickson will stay in forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back