Opinion Do you honestly think bringing in 5 traded players was the right move?

Do you honestly think bringing in 5 traded players was the right move?

• Yes

Votes: 110 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Basically I reserve the right to bag the club if it is another s**t year but I also want the option to pretend I thought it was inspired if everything goes right in 2020 so I'm not offering anything that looks like too much of a formed opinion so I have an out.

Basically I reserve the right to bag the club if it is another s**t year but I also want the option to pretend I thought it was inspired if everything goes right in 2020 so I'm not offering anything that looks like too much of a formed opinion so I have an out.
Hard to have a formed opinion if you are uninformed

at 28 is there many tricks really we can expect him to learn ?

Maybe not - but I'd be disappointed if he came in and didn't at least try to learn something from Ryder (and Roma for that matter) in case he is needed ... as another comment said, if he never plays a game of seniors we've largely won - but he could be huge for Sandy if he keeps at it, and be the valuable depth we need while Bell develops into our true backup over the next few seasons.

Win or lose, at least we can't accuse the club of doing NOTHING to try and turn this thing around - and that, I'm happy about.

Hey Gringo I loved you in Supernaut back in the good old days 🤟 #oldrockersneverdietheyjustmovetobigfooty

awFlzNH.jpg

Maybe not - but I'd be disappointed if he came in and didn't at least try to learn something from Ryder (and Roma for that matter) in case he is needed ... as another comment said, if he never plays a game of seniors we've largely won - but he could be huge for Sandy if he keeps at it, and be the valuable depth we need while Bell develops into our true backup over the next few seasons.

If you read Abbott's history , he's not just some guy who wasn't good enough at 18, who has managed to get half decent later.

Age 14 to 21 , played Basketball.
Then, played for Grovedale Tigers , and subsequently Geelong VFL.
Drafted by Geelong in 2016 but fractured a leg in training. Then had stress fractures when he returned.
( refer to Mat Maguire, bad fractures take a lot of calicium from other bones, which can cause other fractures immediately after the heal ).
Nevertheless he played well in the VFL.
Had 22 hitouts against Toby Nancurvis. in his first AFL game 2018. Total 4 AFL games including 1 in 2019.

If 2 ruckmen , Marshall and Ryder are injured. He'll probably be no worse than Billy Longer was in half his games.
He might improve a bit too, given his history.

There are not many young guys who will turn into top rucks ready to play AFL NOW. Melbourne has picked a guy at 3 in the draft who is not expected to play ruck for a few years.

The other two young guys the Saints have, probably are behind Jackson. Pierce was drafted in 2012.

If Abbott stays fit, it stops us having to worry about rucks for at least a few years. It stops us from having to use our new full back as a ruckman.
He is probably on minimum wage.

If you read Abbott's history , he's not just some guy who wasn't good enough at 18, who has managed to get half decent later.

Age 14 to 21 , played Basketball.
Then, played for Grovedale Tigers , and subsequently Geelong VFL.
Drafted by Geelong in 2016 but fractured a leg in training. Then had stress fractures when he returned.
( refer to Mat Maguire, bad fractures take a lot of calicium from other bones, which can cause other fractures immediately after the heal ).
Nevertheless he played well in the VFL.
Had 22 hitouts against Toby Nancurvis. in his first AFL game 2018. Total 4 AFL games including 1 in 2019.

If 2 ruckmen , Marshall and Ryder are injured. He'll probably be no worse than Billy Longer was in half his games.
He might improve a bit too, given his history.

There are not many young guys who will turn into top rucks ready to play AFL NOW. Melbourne has picked a guy at 3 in the draft who is not expected to play ruck for a few years.

The other two young guys the Saints have, probably are behind Jackson. Pierce was drafted in 2012.

If Abbott stays fit, it stops us having to worry about rucks for at least a few years. It stops us from having to use our new full back as a ruckman.
He is probably on minimum wage.

That's pretty-much why I thought he was a good pickup - he's nice insurance, comes cheap, f**ks over Geelong a little bit on their depth after the screwing they gave us, and has some potential development left in him, banging against Ryder/Roma daily.

As an aside, I noticed in one of the recent videos from the club that Roughy was also working with Roma, so doubtless working on his forward craft for when he's resting deep - could easily be the most damaging big man in the league in 2020, if he can snag a goal a game up forward, with improved ruckwork.

Yeah ... I want to see this team go around :)

Bish

After we traded with GWS we had picks 12 and 18.

Pick 12 was Kysaiah Pickett

Strong, aggressive and powerful small forward/midfielder with exciting speed and natural goalsense. Special in the air, particularly one-on-one, and provides good forward pressure inside 50.Already debuted at senior level in the SANFL ad represented South Australia in the 2019 NAB AFLUnder-18 Championships averaging 13.7 averaging, three marks and 2.7 tackles. Nephew of former North Melbourne and Port Adelaide star Byron Pickett.

Pick 18 was Mitch Georgiades

Tall forward who has missed the entire season due to a quad injury but has now made a complete recovery. He showed strong promise as a bottom aged player in 2018, representing his state in all four NAB AFL Under-18 Championship matches averaging 10 disposals and four marks. He also gave a glimpse of his outstanding contested marking ability when playing for team Bartel in the 2018 NAB AFL All-Stars Futures game on Toyota AFL Grand Final day. He is a very competitive player overall who reads the game exceptionally well and uses the ball effectively by hand and foot. He is the son of former Western Bulldogs player John Georgiades, who famously kicked eight goals on debut in 1989 against Carlton.
HOW did we end up with P12 &P18 in 1st place?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could have got Bianco instead of Jones.

Bianco and Byrnes would have been a ripper draft steal.
But at the same time I really like Jones. He’s a proven best 22 player.

Very happy with the trades bought in. We need depth. We need a stronger seconds so there is competition to get a spot in the seniors. We had (maybe still do) to much dead wood and have done all we can to improve our list.

As long as Brad Hill kills it and he will barring injury and the rest play solid footy it's only a plus for our group pushing forward.

With the influx of Hawthorn personnel i am hoping to god our culture and standards improve. That's more important then anything.

Back