Does the players club they support affect how they play for their actual team?

Remove this Banner Ad

kerrazy

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd like to get opinions in regards to players that have grown up supporting a club, but being drafted to another. Does it affect the way they play or motivation to play good?

Reason I bring this up as a topic is because I ****in love the team I support and if I was a player that got drafted, it would definitely upset me facing them in a game! I would want them to win! :D:D :p

To begin with there may be a slight lowering of ability due to being unhappy theyre not where they wanted to go.

However within weeks it will dawn upon them that their new club is their workplace, and they have to work to the best of their abilities to keep their job, regardless of who they grew up barracking for.

Those that are unable to do this you can assume are among the assorted first-second year players that get cut season end and not picked up again.

I imagine after a week training with your new club you completely forget about any previous allegiances you may have had.

For example, I'd be surprised if Marc Murphy (to use a popular North Melbourne example) would even give two thoughts about North anymore. In addition, Judd had the chance to go to Melbourne, the club he barracked for as a kid, and didn't even give it a second thought.

Playing for a club, being so consumed by the game, I'd imagine most footy players would try to isolate themselves from it (except for the real footyheads) and that's probably why there's so much interest from AFL players in NBA, NFL, EPL etc. They just look elsewhere to fulfil their passion interests.

I'd like to get opinions in regards to players that have grown up supporting a club, but being drafted to another. Does it affect the way they play or motivation to play good?

Reason I bring this up as a topic is because I ****in love the team I support and if I was a player that got drafted, it would definitely upset me facing them in a game! I would want them to win! :D:D :p

no you wouldn't. and if anyone did they'd never play in the AFL ever again after that game.

it's a professional sport, you play where you are wanted and you get paid, and paid pretty well to play. i suspect about halfway through your first pre-season you'd forget who you supported as a kid.

there are blokes from all over the place playing for all clubs and if even 20% of them grew up supporting the team they played for i'd be amazed.

I think Chris Judd supported Melbourne growing up. He was approached by the club but preferred the deal he would get at Carlton. It might be a case by case basis but I don't think their childhood heroes would have that much of an effect on their mindset when they play.

Hurley supported St Kilda growing up and he absolutely loved out muscling Nick Riewoldt in the first contest he had with him in 2009.

Why was this guy my idol again? :D

I wish I could remember the players name, and it was reported in the media a couple of years back, but some player from the 80's? admitted he always played below his normal ability when he played against the side he barracked for as a kid (vaugely think the team he followed may have been Hawthorn)...all a bit vauge I know.

Very few players retain any allegiances to their old clubs. There are a few that do however. Kane Johnson comes to mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would rarely, if ever happen.
my cousin was drafted to the pies in the mid 90's, was on their list for around 5-7 years and supports them even though they were the enemy growing up.
good mates with benny johnson and some club/support staff who are still there also helps.
he was a mad bomber supporter(like the rest of the family) - so much so that his dad said "if you get drafted to collingwood, i'll chop your legs off" - still lol at that.

have a peek at Josh Kennedy today.

seriously Hawthorn royalty, hard to be more connected. grandad coached Hawks to 3 premierships, dad played in 4 and was on the board.

for Sydney v Hawks today

27 possies, 15 contested, 11 tackles, 3 goals and 5 1%s. more than 1 or 2 hawks supporters might like him back

I'm sure there'd be a few. Ebert at West Coast springs to mind. Anthony Rocca another.

Mostly though, naaaahhhh.

For Sydney Armstrong, LRT, Jack, Bird, McVeigh, Cunningham and Gordon I think all supported the swans.

On the flip side, I've read that Ted Richards grew up hating us because we broke his little heart in 1996.

Anyone who puts in less than 100% because of fondness for the opposition doesn't deserve a spot in the top 22.

Hurley supported St Kilda growing up and he absolutely loved out muscling Nick Riewoldt in the first contest he had with him in 2009.

Now wants to be a Bomber for life. I think the culture and mateship at a club has a huge effect on players. Undoubtedly everyone retains a soft spot for their childhood club off-field, but on-field an opposition logo doesn't compare with 21 of your mates. Not pretending everyone loves all their teammates without questioning or anything, but they're you team.

have a peek at Josh Kennedy today.

seriously Hawthorn royalty, hard to be more connected. grandad coached Hawks to 3 premierships, dad played in 4 and was on the board.

for Sydney v Hawks today

27 possies, 15 contested, 11 tackles, 3 goals and 5 1%s. more than 1 or 2 hawks supporters might like him back

Must really hurt Hawthorn to have seen that display today.

On the flip side, I've read that Ted Richards grew up hating us because we broke his little heart in 1996.

Pretty sure any hatred he had was erased when they saved his career and turned him into a star. Besides, who hates Sydney for anything? Probably the most likeable (or least hateable) team in the competition.

Zaharakis, Heppell and young Kav all die hard Dons supporters. :thumbsu:

Of course it doesnt affect them, but would surely do them no harm getting drafted into the team they barracked for though! :D

More pertinent is the question of whether umpires can shake off childhood allegiances to various clubs....

Spose that makes the father son kids pretty lucky.

But yeah, with the draft the kind of romantic play for your local side that still exists to a degree in soccer is pretty much dead in footy.

Every member of Celtic's 1967 European Cup winning team was born within 30 miles of Parkhead, an statistic that still amazes me.

It's a job, you leave your personal opinion at the door and you get down to work in a professional manner or your out the door.

People all round the world do this every day, if we carried our own likes and wants into some workplaces there would be a lot less child sex offenders making alive to the courts by the hands of police.....
Not entirely true.

It all depends on the individual, for some it may effect them but generally as an AFL players professionalism is paramount.

Underperform because you are unhappy at the club and it is unlikely you will be getting games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back