Autopsy Dogs take revenge for last year’s Elimination Final - 118 to 69 (Not Nice)

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is the defensive coach?
Happy Joaquin Phoenix GIF

Matthew Boyd. Who had done extremely well up until this point. I think defence can be blamed more on the personnel than structure tbh. E.g. Pearce giving away a free kick every time the ball comes in 1v1 rather than him being able to spoil it away. Ryan looking slower and more unfit than his poor season last year. Cox unable to play free and intercept more. The reason he was bordeline AA last year was largely due to the fact that Pearce took the main man and did it well enough for him to play interceptor instead.

Matthew Boyd. Who had done extremely well up until this point. I think defence can be blamed more on the personnel than structure tbh. E.g. Pearce giving away a free kick every time the ball comes in 1v1 rather than him being able to spoil it away. Ryan looking slower and more unfit than his poor season last year. Cox unable to play free and intercept more.
True, but I feel part of the issue is kick in strategy though. Setting up zones or use of running backs

True, but I feel part of the issue is kick in strategy though.
That was something that was evident towards the end of last year but our defensive work was still strong enough to keep scores low despite that. Which is where the personnel v coaching comes in.

What were our kick ins like at the start of last year when we were playing really well? Was Ryan still taking every one?

That was something that was evident towards the end of last year but our defensive work was still strong enough to keep scores low despite that. Which is where the personnel v coaching comes in.

What were our kick ins like at the start of last year when we were playing really well? Was Ryan still taking every one?
Can't recall. But I commented previously before in one game last year, on kick in Ryan kicked to the same spot on boundary around 4 times in a row with same result, which was so frustrating Thought Wilson was doing some of the kick ins but guess he wasn't in the team much last year.

Kick ins to your rucks is good if you have someone like gawn. But Darcy for some reason can't Mark those consistently and when it hits the ground we can't get our hands on it

Seriously though not sure we can blame the defensive coach , Our problems are further up the ground and maybe the attempt at humour should have been aimed at the midfield coach.
The fact that Pearce and Ryan are a bit out of form is not the coaches fault either.

Can't recall. But I commented previously before in one game last year, on kick in Ryan kicked to the same spot on boundary around 4 times in a row with same result, which was so frustrating Thought Wilson was doing some of the kick ins but guess he wasn't in the team much last year.

Kick ins to your rucks is good if you have someone like gawn. But Darcy for some reason can't Mark those consistently and when it hits the ground we can't get our hands on it
Sydney game last year at home. The image of Ryan kicking those to the same spot is burned into the back of my mind.

Think Darcy has improved a lot this year with his marking, but for some reason I feel like every time we kick long down the line we have two rucks there who spoil each other. I don't actually know how often that happens but we should only ever have one there and prepare for the crumb. Which never happens.

Our groundball work is amongst the worst in the comp to be honest , And it hasn't even started raining yet.

Sydney game last year at home. The image of Ryan kicking those to the same spot is burned into the back of my mind.

Think Darcy has improved a lot this year with his marking, but for some reason I feel like every time we kick long down the line we have two rucks there who spoil each other. I don't actually know how often that happens but we should only ever have one there and prepare for the crumb. Which never happens.
Why wouldn’t you seperate the two rucks? Double the options?

Our groundball work is amongst the worst in the comp to be honest , And it hasn't even started raining yet.
It might drive people mad, but the kick-ins are small bickies. No doubt there's method in the madness and there'll be some structural purpose in how they go about it.

When it hits the ground is where we need to go to work. Getting consistent one-touch collects with (even a near) advantageous quick disposal should be the major, if not total, focus right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sitting behind the goals in the last on the defensive side our kick ins where hilariously bad. Long and high to the same spot every single time with Jones having a free run at the ball.

The lack of adjustment for Jones throughout the game was ridiculous in my opinion - he just ran off Walters every time we went forward.
the contrast between that and how we defended their kicks in was just sad

If a team is allowing you to go there then they are doing it for a reason. It is about not falling into their trap.

For sure but what could it be? You take possession 30m further from goal and you're on the edge of the corridor. From there you could go either side or down the guts, or diagonally to the boundary. It surely beats going longer to a contest that you're 50/50 in at best and the way both Freo and Peel have been going in winning ground ball contests, it's much less than 50%.

That's a massive cop out for the umpires.

I agree that we need to be better but these should've been picked up and what a difference it would've made.

Yeah that's about 10 extra free kicks for us and 10 less clearances for them. It's pretty significant when you add it up.

I wonder how many of those 'clearances' lead to goals?

And that's before you even factor in all the soft free kicks they get in front of goal and compare that to things like Sturt getting his leg blatantly bearhugged which somehow gets waved on. Life must be a hell of a lot easier with that kind of ride.

For sure but what could it be? You take possession 30m further from goal and you're on the edge of the corridor. From there you could go either side or down the guts, or diagonally to the boundary. It surely beats going longer to a contest that you're 50/50 in at best and the way both Freo and Peel have been going in winning ground ball contests, it's much less than 50%.

I don't know exactly why but it was mentioned a couple of times by the Souths forwards that they were happy to give up the short one to the pocket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back