Autopsy Dogs take revenge for last year’s Elimination Final - 118 to 69 (Not Nice)

Remove this Banner Ad

Our forward line will only function with fast movement, not bombing.

I thought after the last quarter of the GC game they came to that realisation so was surprised when they reverted back.

Now my fear is unfortunately the players we currently have in the midfield and backline may not be able to cater or support that fast play for 4 quarters against a good team without us being opened up like the last quarter last night. We only been able to do it to an undermanned teams in weagles & GC
You what the sad thing is.... You are right..

We are gonna play garbage 🗑️ footy from now until the bye .

At the rate Freo are going, our finals hope will be gone by the bye.

From now until the round 12 bye... We will win one more game. Round 8 vs the hawks in Perth and that's only because Hawthorn will be tanking.

3-8 by round 12 bye.

I will be shocked if we win round 13 vs Richmond, round 15 vs Essendon and round 17 vs Carlton all in WA with our current form.

This was exactly the point I was making in the pre match thread. That there isn’t enough available data to say if Sturt will make it at the top level but there is ample evidence he has elite attributes in certain areas that make it possible he might end up a real X factor player.

Doesn’t necessarily get a lot of it but can do things others can’t & might bob up & win a game in a short burst.

It’s what used to drive me insane about Lyon & is now causing the same reaction with JL. They prioritize these journeymen, good bloke, team man types who play a role over possibly more talented players.

I always remember how Clarkson played a first year Cyril Rioli in the 2009(?) GF. I don’t think he’d played much in his first year but Clarkson gave him a run in the biggest game of the year & as much as anyone Rioli changed the game in a 10 minute cameo when it was up for grabs.

Lyon & Longmuir wouldn’t do that stuff in a million years.

Watching the absolutely gutless, timid trash we served up last night, the endless, unimaginative attempted D50 exits, the Luke Ryan look around for a minute ignoring every lead before kicking to a contest on the boundary over & over. The completely static setup of our players where it seems no one actually wants the ball.

They lost me emotionally last night. Or Longmuir did. I don’t care if we lose I just want to see a team unafraid to take it on.
From now until the end of the season, Freo should just Focus on winning just the home games.

Some of the away games we got coming up from now until the end of the season, it is gonna get nasty.

Brisbane at the Gabbatoir coming up next round.

We got swans at scg, demons at the MCG, cats in Geelongistan and Collingwood at the MCG which I fear all will be heavy Fremantle defeats

You're waffling in about knitting for * knows why. If you can't create a logical sentence it's on you. And I don't need to emotionally hedge my bets the money isn't important or would make a difference. Some people have poor supporter skills

I think quite a few of us have "poor supporter skills"
Despite always tipping Freo, I still reckon Brayshaw is a B grader at best.
I also was disappointed we drafted Serong, but I changed my mind there very quickly

Sent from my SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think quite a few of us have "poor supporter skills"
Despite always tipping Freo, I still reckon Brayshaw is a B grader at best.
I also was disappointed we drafted Serong, but I changed my mind there very quickly

Sent from my SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The guy is the reigning League MVP. He's not a B grader.

Everyone bagging the backline for playing slow football needs to look up the ground, literally no movement at all, 1 guy offering a lead, who is so close that if the kicker actually kicks to him the ump would likely call “not 15, play on” the entire rest of the team gets into a zone and stands still. It’s putrid to watch. Every other team has players moving to create pockets of space as the opposition has to react. Watching the peel game yesterday, South Freo had players on the move constantly, played on faster and had overlap run from players behind the kicker. If a WAFL team know how to break a zone, why don’t Fremantle???
This is 100% a coaching issue and changes need to be made.

The only passages of play we looked good in were from chaos kicks that forced us to play on and run through the defensive zone.

Last edited:
Everyone bagging the backline for playing slow football needs to look up the ground, literally no movement at all, 1 guy offering a lead, who is so close that if the kicker actually actually kicks to him the ump would likely call “not 15, play on” the entire rest of the team gets into a zone and stands still. It’s putrid to watch. Every other team has players moving to create pockets of space as the opposition has to react. Watching the peel game yesterday, South Freo had players on the move constantly, played on faster and had overlap run from players behind the kicker. If a WAFL team know how to break a zone, why don’t Fremantle???

The only passages of play we looked good in were from chaos kicks that forced us to play on and run through the defensive zone.
I couldn’t agree more with this. Every time I go to an AFL ground and watch freo the off the ball movement ahead of the kicker is horrible. It’s pretty much non existent.
There should be guys running loops and dummy leads the whole time ahead of the kicker. Offer some options for fcuks sake.

Are the actually told not to move or what?

I couldn’t agree more with this. Every time I go to an AFL ground and watch freo the off the ball movement ahead of the kicker is horrible. It’s pretty much non existent.
There should be guys running loops and dummy leads the whole time ahead of the kicker. Offer some options for fcuks sake.

Are the actually told not to move or what?

It is player laziness. The players run into space, but you wouldn't call it a lead as such. The player with the ball takes his time, so the opposition defence is able to set itself before the ball is switched or kicked Long Down the Line. The forwards and wings need to work harder to create outlet options, and the kickers need to move it faster.

Right now, we are the third worst team in the competition and that is not acceptable with the talent available to play.

Our issues are:
  • Player laziness - pressure factor of 171 and an inability to run hard into space.
  • Leadership - Leaders are not holding the playing group to account.
  • Coaching - Insufficient quality assistant coaches.
  • Strategy - The AFL has changed the rules to encourage faster ball movement. We still play a slow controlled style which has been worked out.
  • List management - We continually trade ourselves into ridiculous situations. The board ultimately signed off on the trade, so they should answer to members about why such a high price was paid. The Eagles overpaid for Kelly and we have made the same mistake.
Match committee need to execute a player to educate the list: JOM needs to go back to Peel.

By the way JLo, you are on drugs if you think Taberner is going to help resolve our ball movement out of D50. Saints are doing just fine without King.

Everyone bagging the backline for playing slow football needs to look up the ground, literally no movement at all, 1 guy offering a lead, who is so close that if the kicker actually kicks to him the ump would likely call “not 15, play on” the entire rest of the team gets into a zone and stands still. It’s putrid to watch. Every other team has players moving to create pockets of space as the opposition has to react. Watching the peel game yesterday, South Freo had players on the move constantly, played on faster and had overlap run from players behind the kicker. If a WAFL team know how to break a zone, why don’t Fremantle???

yeah it astounds me how often other teams players manage to get 5m gap on their opponents while making leads on the wing during transition. struggle to recount any time any freo player has been able to create that distance and take an uncontested mark up the wing. i find it hard to think that’s a coaching call, “boys make sure you let your defender stay as close as possible when leading”.

corbett in his short stint took a couple of good marks so maybe he knows the trick. sturts got the pace to make space as well, maybe we can build something here

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It is player laziness. The players run into space, but you wouldn't call it a lead as such. The player with the ball takes his time, so the opposition defence is able to set itself before the ball is switched or kicked Long Down the Line. The forwards and wings need to work harder to create outlet options, and the kickers need to move it faster.

Right now, we are the third worst team in the competition and that is not acceptable with the talent available to play.

Our issues are:
  • Player laziness - pressure factor of 171 and an inability to run hard into space.
  • Leadership - Leaders are not holding the playing group to account.
  • Coaching - Insufficient quality assistant coaches.
  • Strategy - The AFL has changed the rules to encourage faster ball movement. We still play a slow controlled style which has been worked out.
  • List management - We continually trade ourselves into ridiculous situations. The board ultimately signed off on the trade, so they should answer to members about why such a high price was paid. The Eagles overpaid for Kelly and we have made the same mistake.
Match committee need to execute a player to educate the list: JOM needs to go back to Peel.

By the way JLo, you are on drugs if you think Taberner is going to help resolve our ball movement out of D50. Saints are doing just fine without King.
Luke Ryan needs to be dropped. If AP wasn’t Captain him too. Send a message to the backline.

Yes the lack of movement is always very noticeable live or on down the ground shots.

And even the guys who are moving are just trotting along contentedly with their opponent next to them, no urgency to try create separation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of contradiction there. Saying backline is not moving ball quick enough and saying they kicking up the line as no movement up ahead, but then go on to say best we looked is when playing on. That's the point, the backs take their mark then instead of looking to play on they use up their time allocated as if they kicking for goal. By that time the opps are set up and they have kick it down the line. Other examples is Ryan just taking it and bombing it high and far as possible in tribute to acres.

Bit of contradiction there. Saying backline is not moving ball quick enough and saying they kicking up the line as no movement up ahead, but then go on to say best we looked is when playing on. That's the point, the backs take their mark then instead of looking to play on they use up their time allocated as if they kicking for goal. By that time the opps are set up and they have kick it down the line. Other examples is Ryan just taking it and bombing it high and far as possible in tribute to acres.
I reckon the backline would move it quickly if any options presented, but none ever do, except the extremely short one, which they seem reluctant to take because if they stuff it up, it’s a certain goal against them. (Example A: Ryan’s 20m kick straight to an opponent. resulting in a goal and everyone on this site saying he should be dropped)

Edit: Hughes and Aish on the wings are the biggest culprits, they should be constantly on the move when we have ball in hand but both don’t.

I reckon the backline would move it quickly if any options presented, but none ever do, except the extremely short one, which they seem reluctant to take because if they stuff it up, it’s a certain goal against them. (Example A: Ryan’s 20m kick straight to an opponent. resulting in a goal and everyone on this site saying he should be dropped)
Are you referring to that dinky kick when he was just about to be tackled... The ones I'm referring to are especially the ones taken deep in the backline.

Also Pearce should be trying to pass off at every opportunity to young & Clarke. His kicking is atrocious.

Last edited:

Edit: Hughes and Aish on the wings are the biggest culprits, they should be constantly on the move when we have ball in hand but both don’t.
Elite AFL wingers should be running 17km a game fir this reason.
What does Hughes, NOD, Aish and Henry run?

It's not naive, I just take more time to judge; everyone seems to be hearing this ticking clock and they're all FOMO that we're going to miss our window despite having one of the youngest lists in the comp.

You comment on Sturt is a logical fallacy, you cannot make a factual point about something that didn't happen. You cannot claim that Sturt would somehow be at this quality level last year, that is a false claim. The only claim you could make is that maybe Sturt would be better now if he had been gifted games he didn't deserve at AFL level. Damned if you do damned if you don't.
What if repeated failure at AFL level actually ruined his career because he was picked when he wasn't ready? This possible timeline is equally valid to the one you've chosen to state.

I think it's all a bit rich that everyone is so quick to turn after such a great season last year. People see that result and go well we simply must be better this year, well reality isn't so simple, especially when your list actually gets less experienced, not more!

I'm simply not a person who reacts to what he's seeing directly, because this is how people make mistakes, they fail to take into account all of the moving parts and choose to react emotively. That's fine, but I won't be part of the frothing crowd.

We're not the basket case every is purporting us to be. There are clear explanations for what is happening, and thus over reaction is not warranted.

The one thing I can join in with, is I really wish JL was a little more charismatic in public, because it makes him an easy target for people who perceive this as a flaw and assume that's what he's like behind closed doors.

I expected us to slide backwards a little this year, we became a younger team overall with the experience we lost. I thought we’d struggle to get the same results with Johnson and Erasmus on the wings but it’d be a step back for 2 steps forward.

The problem isn’t being 2-4 as such, it’s being 2-4 having played the completely unimaginative, broken style of footy we’ve been playing. Looking completely bereft of the dare to win in all of our losses. And because we haven’t been playing Erasmus and Johnson (until recently). I’d take 2-4 with a view to the future if we were playing our future core players and we were leaving it all on the table, with inexperience leading to us falling short.

That’s not the case though, far from it actually.

Also, on the last point I’m yet to see or hear any evidence that JL is a different person behind closed doors than he is in public. Sounds like a fallacy to me.

Yep, it's horrible to watch live and mind boggling to understand what the coaches are telling the players.

One theory I have is there aren't enough viable/attractive targets due to having too many short players. This creates a vicious circle where the kicker doesn't want to kick it to them, and then the players stop moving properly, as even if they do, they don't get the ball.

What I want to see is to stack the team with as many 185cm plus medium sized players as possible. They become more viable targets with more margin for error. And not Banfield/Hughes ... they have height but don't use it in the air and don't demand the ball.

The players are there ... some fit, some not ... Chapman, Young, O'Driscoll, Erasmus, Johnson, Sturt, Corbett, Fyfe, Kuek (I'll put him in this group with his speed/agility). But in order to play as many as possible, you need to drop shorter players like Schultz, Switta, JOM, Aish.

And it's not like the smaller players are providing extra speed. Switta is obviously quick, but Sturt is pretty close to him. Johnson, Chapman, O'Driscoll are actually faster than Schultz, JOM, Aish. So you get a double bonus of height and speed.

Yeah agree, we were flying when we had an in form NOD and Acres on the wings, this is the biggest change this season.

My Cuz mentioned to me that when opponents exit their D50 after a point we zone. When we try to exit the opponent goes man on man.
I didn’t particularly notice at the game but did anyone else?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back