Autopsy Dogs take revenge for last year’s Elimination Final - 118 to 69 (Not Nice)

Remove this Banner Ad

My Cuz mentioned to me that when opponents exit their D50 after a point we zone. When we try to exit the opponent goes man on man.
I didn’t particularly notice at the game but did anyone else?

Of course they do. We have to kick long then, and the oppo know we absolutely will, and it'll be to the same side and so they set up for it. A tall coming from behind to spoil forward to a nest of their players.

My Cuz mentioned to me that when opponents exit their D50 after a point we zone. When we try to exit the opponent goes man on man.

No, but I am front row at ground level so I don't exactly have the best view for noticing tactics.

The little piece from Hayden young is interesting. Seems he at least realises how badly we were sucked into the contest

They all do including the coaches. Like JL said, sometimes when your under the pump and you really want to do well, you try too hard almost and you get sucked in as a result.

From my playing experience (at a much lower level) it always amazed me how some blokes just couldn't get it, and despite being told time and time again and even getting abused by the coach and teammates, they still used to get drawn to the contest and leave their player free outside ALL the time! Now, I doubt that we have any players like that but we do have some of the less football intelligent players in the comp.

Of course they do. We have to kick long then, and the oppo know we absolutely will, and it'll be to the same side and so they set up for it. A tall coming from behind to spoil forward to a nest of their players.
Yep, so basically we are relying on Darce to take a mark ( or Jackson) or we’re stuffed.
I’ll go out on a limb and say that seems a flawed plan.😜

How do they think the team reviews these post match. Do you think they gather the whole team during the week and replay the game pointing out the good, the bad, and the ugly collectively. Or would the coaches take snippets only. Perhaps they need watch the entirety to get a sense from go to woe

Some of that “ why the f**k are we bombing it too Sonny “ stuff has too go on him , he’s the senior player down there and sometimes you can tell he’s trying to free himself up for a cheap one by pushing the big blokes up the ground

Go up the top deck and watch a quarter if you don’t believe me

The other real stark one was the 5 or 6 times we had Caleb Daniel on Johnson 30m on their own in the centre square 170 to 190 cm and Ryan was to chickenshit / forbidden from rolling the dice on kick outs and slow plays

I want a gambler as our next coach … someone who understands risk/reward old JLo would have never had a bet in his life

Last edited:
How do they think the team reviews these post match. Do you think they gather the whole team during the week and replay the game pointing out the good, the bad, and the ugly collectively. Or would the coaches take snippets only. Perhaps they need watch the entirety to get a sense from go to woe

Team review 1st then line coaches go through the cuts individually through the week I think

Honestly? I thought it was borderline a free kick. The contact from the midget was pretty early.
Whether it was free or not the sight of a colossus being toppled by a miniature would of been demoralising lol 😂.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For big guy he can be bit soft... 😬
Biggest issue at the club is the softness associated with Freo now.
Give me Ross 2012-2015 teams, proudest time to be a supporter.
Had a sprinkling of talent, the rest was effort based.
The closest we have to Crowley now is Erasmus. Dawson disciplined enough
not to kick.
Balla smallest player, biggest pest. Great tackler, it’s the 1 percenters.
ANZAC day is about mateship, courage, against the odds, instead we got fake
guy tactics and disunity.

we always go for the zone from kick outs, wasn't paying too close attention to the Dogs specific tactics with zone/manning up, but the difference in kick outs was so noticeable. Dogs would usually take it a bit quicker, would have two easy kicks and be 60m out from goal with the ball, while we'd usually take forever to get set up and then have someone kick it 60m to a massive pack. wonder how deep our defence was at kick outs v theirs.

we always go for the zone from kick outs, wasn't paying too close attention to the Dogs specific tactics with zone/manning up, but the difference in kick outs was so noticeable. Dogs would usually take it a bit quicker, would have two easy kicks and be 60m out from goal with the ball, while we'd usually take forever to get set up and then have someone kick it 60m to a massive pack. wonder how deep our defence was at kick outs v theirs.
Yeah they did seem to exit their D50 a lot easier. Not a lot of movement up ground for us either to give the kicker options.

On the subject of kick-ins, I noticed with Peel we very often had a player free 45 degrees out from goal about 40m out from goal and South seemed happy to allow that but we never once used it, instead prefering to go longer - anyone know why?

So how do we get our players leading on the edge of our D50. I just notice we tend to be extremely stationary bar the token 10 m lead headed towards a 2nd opponent.

Everyone just seems to be waiting for the inevitable hoist.

Sitting behind the goals in the last on the defensive side our kick ins where hilariously bad. Long and high to the same spot every single time with Jones having a free run at the ball.

The lack of adjustment for Jones throughout the game was ridiculous in my opinion - he just ran off Walters every time we went forward.

On the subject of kick-ins, I noticed with Peel we very often had a player free 45 degrees out from goal about 40m out from goal and South seemed happy to allow that but we never once used it, instead prefering to go longer - anyone know why?

If a team is allowing you to go there then they are doing it for a reason. It is about not falling into their trap.

Sitting behind the goals in the last on the defensive side our kick ins where hilariously bad. Long and high to the same spot every single time with Jones having a free run at the ball.

The lack of adjustment for Jones throughout the game was ridiculous in my opinion - he just ran off Walters every time we went forward.
Was this Ryan lol

Everyone bagging the backline for playing slow football needs to look up the ground, literally no movement at all, 1 guy offering a lead, who is so close that if the kicker actually kicks to him the ump would likely call “not 15, play on” the entire rest of the team gets into a zone and stands still. It’s putrid to watch. Every other team has players moving to create pockets of space as the opposition has to react. Watching the peel game yesterday, South Freo had players on the move constantly, played on faster and had overlap run from players behind the kicker. If a WAFL team know how to break a zone, why don’t Fremantle???
This is 100% a coaching issue and changes need to be made.

The only passages of play we looked good in were from chaos kicks that forced us to play on and run through the defensive zone.

Yep it's damning how static we are.

That said, most of the backline, especially Ryan, very rarely pick the first option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back