Autopsy Dogs take revenge for last year’s Elimination Final - 118 to 69 (Not Nice)

Remove this Banner Ad

I like what Sturt brings when he brings it. The problem is he just goes missing for 98% of the game.

Personally, I just think we now need to alter thought process and get games into a young forward mix which will be our future.

Keep Walters for guidance and direction.

Then just load up on Amiss, Treacy, Sturt.

Taberner and Fyfe are done.

Switkowski, Shultz and Frederick provide speed.

At some stage see if Kuek, Emmett and Corbett offer anything.

Jaeger as a half forward is horrible.
Jackson too… but I guess he’s worth persisting with in the front half.

The reality is our forward line is like a very fresh pizza cut into 8 slices and we’re asked to pick 6 slices.

No matter what 6 you choose you’re going to get the same meal.
I actually think injecting Sturt and Corbett changes up the forward line a bit, especially if we can get the forwards to not lead all on top of each other (leaving Walters alone as the only forward in a realistic spot against 3 or more opponents).

However while we have JOM playing midfield, Hughes wing and Banfield in the team nothing will change no matter who our forward mix is, the delivery is abysmal.

Over the years the delivery into forwards always been substandard. Mundy was the only one that could. Compared to other teams it's atrocious
User name checks out.

I like what Sturt brings when he brings it. The problem is he just goes missing for 98% of the game.

Personally, I just think we now need to alter thought process and get games into a young forward mix which will be our future.

Keep Walters for guidance and direction.

Then just load up on Amiss, Treacy, Sturt.

Taberner and Fyfe are done.

Switkowski, Shultz and Frederick provide speed.

At some stage see if Kuek, Emmett and Corbett offer anything.

Jaeger as a half forward is horrible.
Jackson too… but I guess he’s worth persisting with in the front half.

The reality is our forward line is like a very fresh pizza cut into 8 slices and we’re asked to pick 6 slices.

No matter what 6 you choose you’re going to get the same meal.
The funny thing is we are likely to get smashed in the Gabba next week.

I expect Sturt to kick a couple of goals again.

Schulz will keep his streak alive and kick at least 1 goal too

Very naive take mattis. You think young driven players are going to sit around for a couple of years waiting for some nervous geeky stepdad type in JL, who appears to have the charisma of a gone off carrot, to lead them back to relevancy?
We are only on week 6 of a long season and it’s already over. Wait until the agents start digging around, finding out who is available, and you start reading the rumours on Twitter from Jon Ralph and the like. How attractive is Adelaide looking to Brennan Cox right now for example?

The performance of Sam Sturt last night was absolutely DAMNING on this coach. He should have about 50 games played at this stage, not bloody 5!!
Ethan Hughes and Banfield have played nearly 200 games between them for the freo dockers. That’s an entire career of an elite AFL footballer for fcuks sake! Wasted on honest battlers that would spend the entire season in the VFL if they were on the List of any other finals side.
Matthew Richardson who knows a thing or two about kicking goals was raving about Sturt leading like a natural forward and wondering where this guy came from?
Imagine if we’d even given TWENTY of the games given to Banfield in the last 3 years to Sam Sturt??

Shambolic stuff.
It's not naive, I just take more time to judge; everyone seems to be hearing this ticking clock and they're all FOMO that we're going to miss our window despite having one of the youngest lists in the comp.

You comment on Sturt is a logical fallacy, you cannot make a factual point about something that didn't happen. You cannot claim that Sturt would somehow be at this quality level last year, that is a false claim. The only claim you could make is that maybe Sturt would be better now if he had been gifted games he didn't deserve at AFL level. Damned if you do damned if you don't.
What if repeated failure at AFL level actually ruined his career because he was picked when he wasn't ready? This possible timeline is equally valid to the one you've chosen to state.

I think it's all a bit rich that everyone is so quick to turn after such a great season last year. People see that result and go well we simply must be better this year, well reality isn't so simple, especially when your list actually gets less experienced, not more!

I'm simply not a person who reacts to what he's seeing directly, because this is how people make mistakes, they fail to take into account all of the moving parts and choose to react emotively. That's fine, but I won't be part of the frothing crowd.

We're not the basket case every is purporting us to be. There are clear explanations for what is happening, and thus over reaction is not warranted.

The one thing I can join in with, is I really wish JL was a little more charismatic in public, because it makes him an easy target for people who perceive this as a flaw and assume that's what he's like behind closed doors.

It's not naive, I just take more time to judge; everyone seems to be hearing this ticking clock and they're all FOMO that we're going to miss our window despite having one of the youngest lists in the comp.

You comment on Sturt is a logical fallacy, you cannot make a factual point about something that didn't happen. You cannot claim that Sturt would somehow be at this quality level last year, that is a false claim. The only claim you could make is that maybe Sturt would be better now if he had been gifted games he didn't deserve at AFL level. Damned if you do damned if you don't.
What if repeated failure at AFL level actually ruined his career because he was picked when he wasn't ready? This possible timeline is equally valid to the one you've chosen to state.

I think it's all a bit rich that everyone is so quick to turn after such a great season last year. People see that result and go well we simply must be better this year, well reality isn't so simple, especially when your list actually gets less experienced, not more!

I'm simply not a person who reacts to what he's seeing directly, because this is how people make mistakes, they fail to take into account all of the moving parts and choose to react emotively. That's fine, but I won't be part of the frothing crowd.

We're not the basket case every is purporting us to be. There are clear explanations for what is happening, and thus over reaction is not warranted.

The one thing I can join in with, is I really wish JL was a little more charismatic in public, because it makes him an easy target for people who perceive this as a flaw and assume that's what he's like behind closed doors.
Stupid nuance, never been a fan.😜

You comment on Sturt is a logical fallacy, you cannot make a factual point about something that didn't happen. You cannot claim that Sturt would somehow was somehow at this quality level last year, that is a false claim. The only claim you could make is that maybe Sturt would be better now if he had been gifted games he didn't deserve at AFL level. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Well, this post was a breath of fresh air. Nice 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Appreciate this post, especially given we've all got the pitchforks out atm. Don't agree with everything but it's true that progress isn't linear. My biggest concern is that regardless of youth or experience, there are fundamental issues in terms of the way the team are seemingly instructed to play, particularly around stoppages and when exiting the defensive 50. It's reductionist to just say "play quicker" but the mistakes that were interspersed with periods/games of good football last season have seemingly become more prevalent. I get that it's at least partially a symptom of a young list but Longmuir needs to get a bit more creative in trying to find ways to mitigate some of the damage.

For JL's media persona, it would be beneficial for his own sake as much as the team's to try and foot more of the responsibility publicly IMO.

I mean it wasn’t a perfect game by him, he has to stay involved a lot more. But he obviously has some tools- the kicks from 50, elite speed, size- that Banfield,Schultz,Switta etc will never have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was exactly the point I was making in the pre match thread. That there isn’t enough available data to say if Sturt will make it at the top level but there is ample evidence he has elite attributes in certain areas that make it possible he might end up a real X factor player.

Doesn’t necessarily get a lot of it but can do things others can’t & might bob up & win a game in a short burst.

It’s what used to drive me insane about Lyon & is now causing the same reaction with JL. They prioritize these journeymen, good bloke, team man types who play a role over possibly more talented players.

I always remember how Clarkson played a first year Cyril Rioli in the 2009(?) GF. I don’t think he’d played much in his first year but Clarkson gave him a run in the biggest game of the year & as much as anyone Rioli changed the game in a 10 minute cameo when it was up for grabs.

Lyon & Longmuir wouldn’t do that stuff in a million years.

Watching the absolutely gutless, timid trash we served up last night, the endless, unimaginative attempted D50 exits, the Luke Ryan look around for a minute ignoring every lead before kicking to a contest on the boundary over & over. The completely static setup of our players where it seems no one actually wants the ball.

They lost me emotionally last night. Or Longmuir did. I don’t care if we lose I just want to see a team unafraid to take it on.

Outstanding post & you make excellent points but how do you account for our lack of coherent (or in fact any detectable) strategies to exit D50 from kick ins? Or that our back 7, one of the competitions best last year has gone to water & despite having some of the best running/kicking backs in the game none of them are taking the game on in any meaningful way?

This was exactly the point I was making in the pre match thread. That there isn’t enough available data to say if Sturt will make it at the top level but there is ample evidence he has elite attributes in certain areas that make it possible he might end up a real X factor player.

Doesn’t necessarily get a lot of it but can do things others can’t & might bob up & win a game in a short burst.

It’s what used to drive me insane about Lyon & is now causing the same reaction with JL. They prioritize these journeymen, good bloke, team man types who play a role over possibly more talented players.

I always remember how Clarkson played a first year Cyril Rioli in the 2009(?) GF. I don’t think he’d played much in his first year but Clarkson gave him a run in the biggest game of the year & as much as anyone Rioli changed the game in a 10 minute cameo when it was up for grabs.

Lyon & Longmuir wouldn’t do that stuff in a million years.

Watching the absolutely gutless, timid trash we served up last night, the endless, unimaginative attempted D50 exits, the Luke Ryan look around for a minute ignoring every lead before kicking to a contest on the boundary over & over. The completely static setup of our players where it seems no one actually wants the ball.

They lost me emotionally last night. Or Longmuir did. I don’t care if we lose I just want to see a team unafraid to take it on.

This is compounded by our slow starts. Once a couple of goals behind the fear is massive and we revert to safe… which ironically is worse for us.

There’s a massive mindset shift required.

Personally I thought it was damning that Serong mentioned that Ryan took a kick in through the middle in the 3rd quarter against Gold Coast and that got everyone going.

Seems like a bunch of guys waiting.

Collingwood clearly have a mindset of attack through the spine. They all buy in and win or lose together.

We have a captain whose first inclination is to go back off his mark. Look sideways. Then at best kick it long to a contest and take his full 10 seconds to do so.

We just need to try to play fast footy with no fear. Can’t be any worse than what we currently dish up.

Henry was one who attempted the more difficult kicks. He was very good in patches. His problem was missing the obvious ones.

Outstanding post & you make excellent points but how do you account for our lack of coherent (or in fact any detectable) strategies to exit D50 from kick ins? Or that our back 7, one of the competitions best last year has gone to water & despite having some of the best running/kicking backs in the game none of them are taking the game on in any meaningful way?
I wish I knew for sure. What I see when watching is the accumulation of small errors, but JL is right when he says it starts at the contest. We got bullied by their mids last night and it made our defence look ordinary. Our forwards and mids are not defending to the same level they were last year, making it look like our defence has turned to s**t, but really our opponents are getting better looks due to lower up field pressure.

Adding to this post that Brayshaw's drop in form and the loss of Acres has had a massive impact on our midfield defence.

Last edited:
I wish I knew for sure. What I see when watching is the accumulation of small errors, but JL is right when he says it starts at the contest. We got bullied by their mids last night and it made our defence look ordinary. Our forwards and mids are not defending to the same level they were last year, making it look like our defence has turned to s**t, but really our opponents are getting better looks due to lower up field pressure.

we cannot play static, sideways football. This is death for us.

the coach need to state this clearly, in how he selects the side and by punting players who are apparently not following what he is saying.

yes, we are losing at the coal face, but equally we are putting no uncertainty into the opposition when we have the ball, allowing them to set up and pressure US.

it has to change.

we cannot play static, sideways football. This is death for us.

the coach need to state this clearly, in how he selects the side and by punting players who are apparently not following what he is saying.

yes, we are losing at the coal face, but equally we are putting no uncertainty into the opposition when we have the ball, allowing them to set up and pressure US.

it has to change.
Yep. Frustrating how slow they moved it from the backline and that they couldn't clear it. Bombing it into our forward line even when we had tabs and Lobb didn't work and even more so now. Bombing onto Sonny's head yesterday was ludicrous and not just once.

Yep. Frustrating how slow they moved it from the backline and that they couldn't clear it. Bombing it into our forward line even when we had tabs and Lobb didn't work and even more so now. Bombing onto Sonny's head yesterday was ludicrous and not just once.
Again.... Last night Freo had some good patches of footy.

Again look at how Sam Sturt kicked his 2 goals last night for example.

The ball was kicked straight to him. He wasn't in a contest against 2 or 3 other opponents.

He made a lead and marked well. He then followed both leads up iwth a beautiful set shot goal.

People say Walters is the only bloke in the side with X factor. I say Frederick does too. He kicked 28 goals last season when in 2020 and 2021, he didn't even kick 20 goals.

There are some good pieces in the forward line.

The midfield is bad and the back line is a shambles

Again.... Last night Freo had some good patches of footy.

Again look at how Sam Sturt kicked his 2 goals last night for example.

The ball was kicked straight to him. He wasn't in a contest against 2 or 3 other opponents.

He made a lead and marked well. He then followed both leads up iwth a beautiful set shot goal.

People say Walters is the only bloke in the side with X factor. I say Frederick does too. He kicked 28 goals last season when in 2020 and 2021, he didn't even kick 20 goals.

There are some good pieces in the forward line.

The midfield is bad and the back line is a shambles
Our forward line will only function with fast movement, not bombing.

I thought after the last quarter of the GC game they came to that realisation so was surprised when they reverted back.

Now my fear is unfortunately the players we currently have in the midfield and backline may not be able to cater or support that fast play for 4 quarters against a good team without us being opened up like the last quarter last night. We only been able to do it to an undermanned teams in weagles & GC

Perhaps why the hope we had from last year was based on thinking our defense was so solid and our we had great kids, both of which been exposed and the problem last year of the forward line would be fixed with recruiting jackson

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back