Opinion Don Pyke general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Took you a whole week to get the Dutch courage to reply to my post?

Not at all, you didn't tag me properly (if it doesn't turn blue I'm not going to get a notification) so I never saw it.

We're top of the ladder in one of most even seasons on record. We lost to the Cats at Kardinia Park like everyone one else does. And we're still talking getting rid of coaches. Give us a break. Some of you will only be happy if we win every game of the season by 60+ points.

Open letter to Don Pyke

Don,

You're obviously a nice bloke and with a background in management you obviously have a strong belief in the corporate structure. But here's the thing Don, football clubs are incestuous boys clubs filled with the ambitious , the lazy , the hangers on and the sycophants. Now these things can be good things or they can be terrible. The difference is the leader. You yourself would have seen the good in your early years at West Coast, where people put aside all jealousies for the common purpose of shoving it up the Vics.

But once you did that the apple had worms in it. The club disintegrated and a dynasty died. Players played for themselves.

2005 and 2006 as an assistant at the AFC you would have felt this common purpose once again. But something was off , the club board were still gunshy over Carey and Pavlich had knocked them back. So a bloke called Ian Perrie was the go to man. Now at times Sarge could hold his own but his talent was limited. Ben Hudson and Ivan Maric were battling for the 1 job which pleased everyone but themselves and both would be gone within 2 years. Ironically your old team in the same time played in 2 GFs winning one. Because they had a coach who would not take no for an answer. ( and had the good sense or blindness to allow a play hard on Saturday party Sunday mentality)

2016 I sat back and watched and waited , all the while saying to myself that Don is looking over the club and 2017 is when the changes will be made. Don isn't stupid, he can see the things that are wrong. I even thought you might have some hidden trick waiting for Geelong. But sadly no. I saw the use of 26 players as some form of paternal belief in players and that come 2017 newer faces might play. I thought playing players with injury might end.

2017 comes around, our recruiters have failed to land the one fish who jumped into our boat, only to slip out on the backwash. 2017 those coaches who I thought you might move on stayed. I started to get this tingle Don. Not spidey sense but just a sense that something wasn't quite right.

Round 1-6 that tingle was muted as players were playing well , some new faces played and the football commentary was good. Then Tassie. You know the place that is cold in summer and worse in winter? Where gales affect the flight of the football. Ok cant win every toss but where was the defending of the breeze. I learnt that in under 12s. Ok aberration against Melbourne we should be sweet.

Lets forget that , because we finally drop David Mackay. He then becomes travelling emergency. Gallucci plays and Greenwood plays. Great stuff Don. 2 thumbs up :thumbsu::thumbsu:. We beat Brisbane by 86 points or something like that and Gallucci gets dropped. !!!!! For Mackay!!!!!

We then face Geelong once more, at Simounds stadium. Discussion here and in the media is will you tag Selwood or Dangerfield or both. The other discussion is how much you have learnt and figured out by previously playing.

Not much it seems Don. If you and your staff were embarrassed trying to explain Mackays selection imagine how this week will be?

Don, I am going to finish this as I am getting tired. Don, don't settle for 'almost good enough' or ' this is unlike us' . Find and use that anger you showed tonight. Show us fans why you were headhunted.

Some old bloke on the net

Pyke, in the post-match presser:
" ... the efficiency with which they scored in the first half was very unlike us ...". Say what, mate? The way we got done tonight by Geelong was very like us, and very like last year (twice) --- also under your watch.

Deja vu, and it was horrible. Again.

So NO, Don, the efficiency with which they scored ... was very much like them, on the back of some hard, tough, contested ball wins and their determination, firstly to win the ball and then to keep it in their forward half. In fact, it looked very much like our insipid efforts against Geelong last year from which you and your assistants seem to have learned nothing. Please, pretty please, do something different next time? If you don't tag Selwood next time with some hard nut, someone with uncompromising grunt and fitness (how about Greenwood? he's mean and aggro enough with 11 tackles tonight, or any tough run-with player from the SANFL), you've learned zip.
What was also very like us was the way we folded like a deck chair under Geelong's pressure and tackling-which-stuck, as opposed to the weak tackling we threw up, so often brushed aside and exemplified by the DON'T-ARGUE that Cameron copped. Cameron will be wearing that bloke's handprint as a bruise for a couple weeks.

But wait, there's more.
Pyke also said:
"I don’t think it was effort it was method and as player and coaches, we have to look at how we set the game up and take responsibility for the result" which is even more mystifying.
If he thinks it was method he's in denial.
Clearly beaten in contested possessions = an effort inferior to your opponents'.

"Take responsibility" reminds me of (was it?) Sanderson or Craig who used to sing the same song --- "We'll OWN that result ...". Never mind about responsibility --- you took the same tactics and effort into the game and got done in the same ways as last year.
Time to select some different players and tell the rest to do something different, as well. TAG Selwood. Protect Sloane. STICK your tackles. STOP bombing aimlessly into the forward 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We turtle head it against Geelong for sure. Same with Hawthorn but luckily their team has been gutted. We'll turtle head against Sydney too. And the bulldogs now that they are "known".

We basically have a big game complex. I think our players get used to putting away s**t teams in sleepy Adelaide.

As soon as some focus is put on us away from home we piddle our pants. "Omg people are actually watching us tonight we better be as meek and unassuming as can be and not garner any attention"

We're top of the ladder in one of most even seasons on record. We lost to the Cats at Kardinia Park like everyone one else does. And we're still talking getting rid of coaches. Give us a break. Some of you will only be happy if we win every game of the season by 60+ points.
It's like some people only watched the crows for the first time this week.

I just can't comprehend why we didn't tag Selwood. They tagged Sloane but we just let Selwood go for it! Coaches have a lot to answer for in the first half . We finally played him tighter in the last and surprisingly we started to become competitive ! A get the roasting if some players on here but to me it was epic fail by coaching group and pyke needs to own that.

No. Games against the true contenders are ones you must win or at least be extremely competitive against. Personally I would have been ok if we went down the way port did but we rolled over in the first half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back