Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It does prompt the question - just how bad would his season need to be to lose that top spot? You're essentially committing pick 1 on the basis of U17 form.
Early form this year was also good before his injury, he played very well in the AIS games before the champs and played well in some SA try out games.

Still managed to hit the scoreboard in the champs and his last game in defence he killed it aswell. Still think he has the best upside and sometimes you do have t base it off u17 just look at guys like Witherden and SPS. Witherden missed with injury all his 18s and SPS did bugger all in the WAFL in his 18s year

just look at guys like Witherden and SPS. Witherden missed with injury all his 18s and SPS did bugger all in the WAFL in his 18s year

Best handful of draftees would have been Mcgrath, Taranto, SPP, Witherden, Berry, SPS, Parfitt. First two obviously dominated their under 18s, the rest quieter years in their under 18s than 17s. No rhyme or reason!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best handful of draftees would have been Mcgrath, Taranto, SPP, Witherden, Berry, SPS, Parfitt. First two obviously dominated their under 18s, the rest quieter years in their under 18s than 17s. No rhyme or reason!
It's hard to balance talent and consistency. At the end of the day I love what Fogarty brings more than any other in this draft

Just going against the grain, is there a key defender that could be picked up if we maintained a 2nd round pick this year? If there is could you mount a case that they would be a better choice than a big bodied mid around the same pick?
The reason I ask amongst other things is that i think we'll back the youngsters we have already to fill that position (Langford, laverde, begley, mutch and Clarke).

Just going against the grain, is there a key defender that could be picked up if we maintained a 2nd round pick this year? If there is could you mount a case that they would be a better choice than a big bodied mid around the same pick?
The reason I ask amongst other things is that i think we'll back the youngsters we have already to fill that position (Langford, laverde, begley, mutch and Clarke).
Noah Balta might slide. If they rate Sam Taylor, Oscar Clavarino or Harrison Petty they could go with one of those. Also depends on what type of key defender you want. Would have better luck at getting a running HB at those picks like Richards or Stoddart both quick and good left foot kicks

I think the Bombers may look at a lock down medium type defender.
Kelly gone, baguley aging, McGrath moves to the midfield.
Saad and McKenna will be attacking.

This why the Lever obsession had overtaken the second half of the season?
Lever isn't a lockdown type.
I am thinking more about drafting a young Nick Smith type who can lock down smalls.
Maybe Gleeson is earmarked for that role.

I am thinking more about drafting a young Nick Smith type who can lock down smalls.

We play a similar type of zone defence that Geelong perfected circa 2007. Gleeson probably moves into that Kelly role from this year.
Do agree we look at a lock down type though, Baggers is getting on and it'd be handy having a kid develop and ready to push him for games sooner rather than later.

if Gleeson starts doing lockdown roles effectively he's the best small defender in the AFL, not sure he's cut out for it or that it maximises his attacking or intercepting strength though. I though Mcniece looked pretty comfortable in that role in his brief spell in the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back