Expansion Eddie McGuire says Collingwood needs to play against Tasmania and Darwin teams by 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion to 20 teams before 2030 is quite realistic.

Tassie a definite. Second license should go to either Canberra, Northern Australia (Darwin, Nth QLD), a third Perth team, or possibly a joint Norwood-Sturt outfit. A Greater Western Victoria side not out of the equation either with place like Ballarat, Bendigo & Melton set to continue to grow.

Keep the top 8. No need to reward mediocrity. Can always organize a post-season 'plate' competition for teams ranked 9th to 20th.

I think the most sensible way that further expansion can happen in the league, with each state (minus Tasmania) having a minimum of three clubs being based there (no Victorian clubs relocating), would have a timeline something like this:

*Note: 24 round season metrics are used for the future for this example meaning each club would have 12 home games + 12 away games altogether.

2027- Tasmania Devils Football Club (8x Hobart + 4x Launceston)

2028- Canberra Spartans Football Club (10x Canberra + 2x Wagga Wagga)

2042- Perth Falcons Football Club (12x Perth) *(Note: I know there is a team called Perth in WAFL, maybe Joondalup instead??)

2044- North Sydney Rangers Football Club (9x Sydney + 3x Newcastle/Central Coast)

2060- South Coast Sharks Football Club (10x Adelaide + 1x Darwin + 1x Alice Springs)

2062- North Queensland Crocodiles Football Club (7x Cairns + 3x Townsville + 1x Darwin + 1x Alice Springs)

As a result of the current clubs getting affected of this future expansion, Hawthorn and North Melbourne play all their matches in the VIC market (as they should) and Gold Coast & Western Sydney either play all their matches at their primary city/area (if the club is stable) or find another secondary market to play matches in to help increase the revenue at the club like they do now currently.

I do believe however that the league can only handle two more clubs (20 clubs in total) with the population we currently have now in the country (Tasmania & Canberra), however as the human population grows massively in the future, it is important to always have one eye for further expansion in the competition and develop a stronger foothold of the sport across all areas of the country, especially developing more AFL resources in those states that are NRL-bound currently like New South Wales & Queensland.

Last edited:

A Tasmanian club will never be a success by a normal measure, but far more successful than the Suns or Giants ever will. Those clubs will never work. It makes sense to relocate a team there.

McGuire is run out of Collingwood for effectively racism but gets to keep his media roles. Hmmm.

I actually agree with Eddie - at least in spirit. I think most people would support the concept of a Tasmania team. They deserve it as one of the traditional football states. But how do you achieve that? There is a lot of hurdles to jump - financial sustainability and a potential forced weekly bye.

The there are other obvious areas we can improve and evolve into. A lopsided and unfair fixture, lack of representation in NT and international interest plus additional revenue to the code.

Say what you like about the big headed arrogant flog from Broadmeadows but, he really does have the interests of the sport in his heart. He was one of the biggest advocates for the two new teams in Western Sydney and Gold Coast. He has spoken out against inequalities in club funding and compensation. So, say knock his ideas but at least he has put his ball on the line and come up with possible solutions.

I think we do need to look more globally to expand the reach of the game and the US has shown it has an insatiable appetite for sport and plenty of money to devote to it. Tasmania does deserve a team but it can't be completely funded by the AFL forever. There government does need to back it. I also agree with the location of the 20th team. While the conditions can be slippery and can be hot so can Brisbane, Gold coast and West Coast at times. It would prove a great home ground advantage to the new team and develop far more indigenous talent that would otherwise be undiscovered or lost due to the fear of distance.

So even though for most of the time he's been President of the Pies, I have loathed him - Eddie is fighting for the competition and, regardless of whether you agree with him or not, its hard not to respect him for that. (I feel so dirty saying that :sick::mask::unsure:.)

The taswegians need a team and we need a fairer draw - lets hope it happens sooner rather than later :praying:

Say what you like about the big headed arrogant flog from Broadmeadows but, he really does have the interests of the sport in his heart.

Might go down well in the unpopular opinions thread too but considering his general attitude towards the Northern clubs, Port and others, Eddie being this benevolent saviour of footy is top of the list for one of the biggest myths in footy.

Might go down well in the unpopular opinions thread too but considering his general attitude towards the Northern clubs, Port and others, Eddie being this benevolent saviour of footy is top of the list for one of the biggest myths in footy.

He did what every good club president would do - look after the best interests of his own club. North Melbourne playing down south for 8 games a season is a sacrafical lamb isn't an option either but I don't think bringing in extra teams, looking for alternate marketplaces or trying to make the fixture fairer is one of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back