News Ej Whitten Legends Match - Victoria v All-stars - Fri, Sept 1, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully they take away Matera next year. He didn't understand the point of the game to have a bit of fun. Was playing so selfish and looking up at himself on the screen after every goal.
If they are all going to be ex players then I don't mind if they take it a little seriously. I liked having blokes come up from the bush leagues or the odd household name having a crack because it gave the ex players someone to pass it off to, and share it around a bit like you see in mini colts footy where everyone has a bit of fun getting a kick.

Molloy is the answer.....

actually, no, it's Hughesy.

There's a few "comedians" who i wonder how they ever got to be mainstream.

Hughes, Helliar. Never found these two funny. Ever.
Lehmo. Lehmo does play a reasonable role on Utopia however.
Molloy (works well when bouncing off others, but terrible when he's on his own)
Flanagan (Not funny.)
The writers at Working Dog make anyone sound funny, but I do agree Lehmo on Utopia plays the role well...as much as I want to punch him in the face each time he does the Ministers bidding.

This game was at its best in the early-mid 2000s. Actual legends of the game, not just mediocre recent retirees (Matt Spangher, really?), having a bit of fun but also having a good dip and showing off what made them legends in the first place. Towards the end of the 2000s and into the 2010s is when they started stacking the teams with "celebrities" and manufacturing finishes and certain events in-game to add "theatre", and its gone downhill fast.

I know at the end of the day its just an event to raise awareness for prostate cancer, and for that it gets enough airtime to do its job. But if you're going to do it, then do it right and make it something people actually want to watch.
Matt Spangler is cult figure he can play. I'd rather spud recent retirees than the players who are way to old for it.

God I'm sick of you ******* Richmond punishers. Do everyone on earth a favour and go out in straight sets for the love of EVERYTHING GOOD
yes because its only richmond fans who think boomer comes across as a flog. you just come across as salty that you didn't get martin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder what would get more people through the gates and watching on tv. Picking mixed aged teams like they do now, who going half arsed and have a laugh OR picking the best and fittest players (with a minimum of say 100 AFL games) and get them to play competitevely. Only issue would be there would be no real reward and more risk of injury.

Id love to see my cousin play in this game, hes only been out of the AFL system since 2013 (so only four years ago), im not sure if the organisers have asked him to play or if they have asked him to play and he cant make it.

But yeah id like to see him play in this match. Hes back down to his playing weight as well (76kg), im sure he'd do ok.

It's like our version of the NBA all star game now. It used to be competitive from memory but now it's a manufactured scoring fest with no real competitiveness.

It hasn't been competitive for donkeys years. You'd still get the occasional "hero" that took it far more seriously than others would (eg: Richie Vandenberg!). Overall it's played for laughs these days.

When it first started it was great seeing the older champions having another kick around, these days there are not many that are too fondly remembered or that have cult hero status (there was Brown and who else last night ?). They need to bring in more players that have history so you could play up "rivalries" more when they contest the footy.

It peaked when Hutchy kicked his banana and Fitzy was denied the goal. All downhill since then.
When it first started it was great seeing the older champions having another kick around, these days there are not many that are too fondly remembered or that have cult hero status (there was Brown and who else last night ?)
467976_gp.jpg

It peaked when Hutchy kicked his banana and Fitzy was denied the goal. All downhill since then.

I dont care about the comedians and tv personalities myself...but I wonder why Fev, Capper and even Fitz didnt play - guys who played, had personality and are generally amusing at this events. Fev on his own can still draw a crowd for some reason to actual games.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back