Game Day Elimination Final @ Subi : Thurs 8/9, 6.10pm - WCE v Eastern Bulldogs - **** Off, the West is Ours!!

Remove this Banner Ad

We have to many small mids. Masten, Gaff and Shuey. These three + Priddis are not strong marks either.

The weakest link. MASTEN.

His trade value is decent now and will only go down from here.

Thats an objective analysis.

How would you improve our midfield?

Who gets the chop?

Is there anyway to like numerous times, the bolded underlined.

I seriously think that those that come on here and defend Masten watch it on TV only.

This is a quick summary of Masten.

Stand in space madly waving arms and point to other players to take responsibility for my loose running forward player.

Come to bench, throw head back and scream F*** in attempt to convince all in sundry that I run hard to space and then chase hard back the other way (LMAO).

Do a couple of nice kicks to keep the flogs on BF that support me convinced that I deserve my spot.

Ensure I don't do anything that would risk me beating Freo's softest player (Danyle P) in contested ball and tackles.

Colour in tats .... etc

I left 2 minutes early. I never leave early, no matter how far behind we. That's how bad it was. Saw the JK goal on the TV on the way out.

But I had work the next day, and figured I may as well try and get on the train rather than put myself through 2 more minutes of that crap. Stupid Thursday night smashing.

Of course the train was all ready crammed full when I got there - lucky I'm a skinny bugger that could squeeze on anyway.

Worst $90 I ever spent.

Definition of lucky, got caught in all day meeting and missed tickets going on sale.

Tried to book after work and could only get tickets for $65.00!

Downside, was in 3 tier stand.. anyone that sits in that hell hole deserves to be called a genuine supporter!

I seriously think that those that come on here and defend Masten watch it on TV only.

Stand in space madly waving arms and point to other players to take responsibility for my loose running forward player.

Come to bench, throw head back and scream F*** in attempt to convince all in sundry that I run hard to space and then chase hard back the other way (LMAO).

Do a couple of nice kicks to keep the flogs on BF that support me convinced that I deserve my spot.

Ensure I don't do anything that would risk me beating Freo's softest player (Danyle P) in contested ball and tackles.

Colour in tats .... etc
You missed
1.handball 30cm to player in worse position and then shake my head when he is pinged for holding ball.
2. Attempts to tackle but opposition player easily breaks loose

Colour in tats .... etc

You missed out on :

Run to apply pressure but instead of diving to tackle or smother put one arm in the air running at 2/3 pace standing 3 m away when you could actually impact a contest.

All this negativity is wonderful, definitely the right outlook to win the next flag.

Where were you before the game? Could've used another friend. Haha

We weren't winning it this year but to just crumble in our most important game of the year just shows how immature this team is. Going to be hard to watch again next year because the team composition (apart from NN) isn't going to change. So envious of Sydney, Geelong, Hawks, what fantastic organisations to be so dominant for such a long time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The entire midfield set up needs a review. You can make arguments for each player individually but the collective doesn't really work and hasn't under any real pressure.

The Bulldogs played a fair few smaller mids too but they have pace & skill (which includes decision making). I think ultimately it comes back to a collective that overall isn't quick or skilful enough to do enough damage when we have it and is too easily exposed by quick ball movement through the middle because they aren't quick enough and can't apply enough pressure in space. It's also been evident at times that 3 or 4 of them are easy to outmark which presents an additional opportunity for the other team.

We live in a era of congestion, breakaways and mismatches. Small, slow, unskilled & no ability to contest a mark creates a match up problem.

Of you were restructuring our midfield you'd look at Masten, Priddis, Hutchings and you'd ask whether you want them as key pieces on a big ground on a big day against the very best teams. Mastens work rate is very good. His kicking skills in the rarer situations where he has space & time and runs in a straight line forwards are good. But his default position is to receive and run away from contest (sideways or backwards) and to always give the defensive handball to anyone nearby. It's the opposite of damaging. Priddis has dropped 20-25% this year v the previous couple of years and he won't improve. It was horrible watching the Dogs just run forward and he just waddled behind them all night. And his decision making and execution was really poor. But he worked really hard. Hutch has done some decent run with jobs. But he's a really slow thinker with the ball. Poor decision maker. Maybe you keep him around for shut down roles.

The other issue is that our rotating mids/forwards give us almost nothing at times as mids. Lecca is now too slow - although he tried last night when through the middle. Hill - he had a few good weeks mid season and since not much. Cripps - decent but not really a guy you rotate to the middle with any confidence. Yeo? Horrible year.

So the damage falls to Shuey, Gaff and then a fully fit Sheed. Surely that's where we start and then we rebuild the complimentary parts being mindful of their strengths/weaknesses. Shuey is a pretty complete player. Gaff is kinda one paced and can't compete with anyone in the air. Sheed is decent but not quick. So guys with some speed, some aerial skill might be nice to fit around those blokes. So not really Priddis or Masten.

Surely it's time to rebuild the next midfield group?

Also, tactics. A great mids coach might help.
Quality post. Should copy and paste in several threads running at the moment. Seriously.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

We don't have a lot of choice, but to keep developing Yeo for that role, at least in the short term.
Surely it's more than 'a' role. We need a more than one player through the midfield who can compete in the air. Right now, all our aerial advantage lies inside the arcs and relies so much on uncontested marking through the midfield. The Doggies just screwed us in and gave us no space to work with in the midfield. No easy uncontested marks coming though the midfield. Cue, deer in headlight hamdpassing and roundhouse bomb kicks to outnumbered contests.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

This Bulldogs team will do a lot of damage this final series. They could be anything. Their hands are so good. I'd predict they will beat Hawks and go on to Prem and possibly be a good chance for the premiership.

We are pissed off now but we may have just lost to the 2016 premiers.

Told you all, no shame in getting kicked out to a grand finalist.

No shame eh , Makes me feel like going back to watch the replay ..:rolleyes:

Second quarter. Yeo misses sitter. Jack plays on instead of taking a shot. I knew we were gone then and there. No on wants to take responsibility and the guys like Yeo, who do, can brain fart on the basics.

Hawthorn put up a fight in the loss to the dogs, Giants could have won the game if a couple things had gone their way..

The eagles on the other hand, literally walked out to the ground with their pants already down. No heart, no desire, no (insert 1000000 other things here)

Saying "Oh see it's not so bad because the bulldogs are a good team and they got into the grand final" doesn't mean s**t if we were never in the game to begin with. Being outclassed is one thing, but being beat in every facet of the game, and showing NOTHING to say the players cared is something else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back