England tour of India (4 Tests, 5 T20Is, 3 ODIs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wooohoooo...amazing series victory. India dominated England in all facets of the game. Absolute obliteration!

Rain at Sydney will be the only thing stopping the Aussies winning the ashes 5 nil. This England batting line up has to be one of the worst out of any of the test playing nations currently.

Root and Stokes class. None of the others are more than first class battlers

Rain at Sydney will be the only thing stopping the Aussies winning the ashes 5 nil. This England batting line up has to be one of the worst out of any of the test playing nations currently.

You're underrating them. They can't play spin, so what? Neither can we.

Leach was excellent this tour. He will trouble our right-handers.

As an England fan that was a chastening experience after the Asian tour had started so brightly. India just played so so well, not always at the same time but there was always someone to dig them out of hole when they needed it most. Obviously they are masters of their own conditions but the gap between their skill level on these surfaces and ours was just massive. They don't really have any passengers to speak of; we have far too many. This may be Bairstow's last test, and maybe spells on the sidelines for Bess, Pope and Sibley. I think they'll bring back Buttler for Foakes.

Reckon Ashwin and Axar would have towelled us up just as badly on those surfaces. Aside from Smith and Marnus I’d have very little confidence in anyone to stand up.

You're underrating them. They can't play spin, so what? Neither can we.

Leach was excellent this tour. He will trouble our right-handers.

Don’t mistake the quality of this India team who have beaten Oz in Oz and England in India. They have awesome depth and can now play overseas conditions.

This England team isn’t as horrible as you think. Australia struggle in India too. They have also been in hubs in SA, all England summer, Sri Lanka and India.

This year will hopefully bring some needed changes England fans have wanted for a while. Bairstow must never play again, Foakes must be the keeper and Woakes must not play in Australia.

Sibley and Lawrence both scored loads of runs in the last England A tour to Oz where England won 2-1 in the four dayers with Stone also performing well.

Crawley also looks like he is gonna make it and looked good against the Indian seamers.

Pope is a good player who lead the runs in Sydney grade a few years ago.

Anderson and Broad are proven performers and now have pace to compliment in Archer and Stone. Stokes is a great support bowler and Leach is very accurate and doesn’t get flustered.

I think the Ashes will be closer than it has been for many years. The team below will be really competitive.

Sibley
Crawley
Lawrence
Root
Stokes
Pope
Foakes/ Buttler
Archer/ Stone
Leach
Broad
Anderson

At last England have some pace to back up Anderson and Broad and Australia only have two reliable batsmen.

Both teams will be “bowling” teams I think as Australia bowling attack is strong.

Who bats well will decide it. Can England score against the quick Oz bowling and can Australia score against quick English bowling.

Can Australia do it with only two batsmen. Four if Warner and Green fire.

I wasn't paying attention to the WTC situation (I get the idea, to try and generate more interest in test cricket?) but if Poms won we were in the final?

We probably didn't deserve to be there anyway losing to India at home.

India are a class above with their depth and talent. I think they'll dominate for years and years.

I'm not sure about the structure of cricket in India, but they seem to have struck a much happier balance in differentiating between Test cricket and the truncated forms of the game than other countries. I certainly feel Australia's Test performances have been offset somewhat by a surfeit of T20 cricket in particular. India don't seem to have that problem. As you say, I can see them dominating world cricket for some time to come. They seem to be able to drop the first Test of a series and still come out winners.

We pumped them last ashes series and they had a far superior lineup to now. Their bowling is good but their batting is a s**t show. 4 or 5 nil even with a weaker Australian line up.

The Indian side is the best in the world no doubt and especially in those conditions but the England batting line up is horrendous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pant hit on the back leg right back on the stumps and not given. England reviewed and middle of ball hitting bails between middle and leg. Looked plum live and you gotta give those.

Back leg in front should always be given. As an umpire I give that every time. Up to batsman to review. There was no benefit of the doubt as hitting back leg back on stumps.

Now game is over and India make the test championship final over Australia. This is why home umpires aren’t used. Critical line ball calls always go the home teams way.

Throughout this series Indian umpires have ensured home decisions via incorrect process and umpires call. They knew his best chance of surviving was to give not out and have him survive on umpires call.

BCCI have impacted the result via home umpiring and poor pitches.

Wow.

I think the biggest thing for me to come out of this series, based on this thread and social commentary, is that the only way to avoid being accused by the menstrual majority of fans around the world of not doctoring pitches, is to actually doctor them and make them unnatural for their home environment.

F*** it is tiring every single time a team loses away - which is, and always has been MOST of the time, to read the moaning that goes with it.

I’m yet to see a single test in which one team gets to play on a different pitch to their opponents, or in which they are allowed to select more players.

pant really does seem like the next gilly, we probably win our series without him there and England have at least a sniff if he is around, just one of those players you don't get him in 2-3 hours the test is already out of your reach.

pant really does seem like the next gilly, we probably win our series without him there and England have at least a sniff if he is around, just one of those players you don't get him in 2-3 hours the test is already out of your reach.

The issues he faces rightly or wrongly, as he gets assessed, are these:

- regardless of how hard Indian tracks are to bat on, and if some forums are to be believed they’re minefields based on the ineptitude of the opposition, he will always have the ‘he’s Indian so he’s probably spent most of his career on great batting pitches’ stigma attached to him.

- his keeping is not as bad as some people make out, but not as good as Gilchrist

- he is following Gilly’s footsteps. An ODI player now - let’s use ABDV as an example: many people, myself included, would make an argument that Viv is still the greatest ODI batsman of all time even though his average is a few points below AB’s and his strike rate is about 10 lower. Why? Because no one had seen what Viv brought to the game over an extended period. Likewise Gilchrist Brought something to keeper-batsmanship no cricketer had ever even approached. Les Ames was the closest thing Test cricket had before Gilly, and as good as he was, his batting was no different to 50 other players who had averaged 40-50. Gilly was unique at the time.

- Gilly was the punctuation point in one of the greatest teams of all time. It shouldn’t, but it will forever enhance the aura of what he was. Jeff Dujon was a very very good keeper batsman but his status is enhanced by the fact that he was a key part of probably the best team in history. That counts for a lot. Pant doesn’t have that yet

The issues he faces rightly or wrongly, as he gets assessed, are these:

- regardless of how hard Indian tracks are to bat on, and if some forums are to be believed they’re minefields based on the ineptitude of the opposition, he will always have the ‘he’s Indian so he’s probably spent most of his career on great batting pitches’ stigma attached to him.

- his keeping is not as bad as some people make out, but not as good as Gilchrist

- he is following Gilly’s footsteps. An ODI player now - let’s use ABDV as an example: many people, myself included, would make an argument that Viv is still the greatest ODI batsman of all time even though his average is a few points below AB’s and his strike rate is about 10 lower. Why? Because no one had seen what Viv brought to the game over an extended period. Likewise Gilchrist Brought something to keeper-batsmanship no cricketer had ever even approached. Les Ames was the closest thing Test cricket had before Gilly, and as good as he was, his batting was no different to 50 other players who had averaged 40-50. Gilly was unique at the time.

- Gilly was the punctuation point in one of the greatest teams of all time. It shouldn’t, but it will forever enhance the aura of what he was. Jeff Dujon was a very very good keeper batsman but his status is enhanced by the fact that he was a key part of probably the best team in history. That counts for a lot. Pant doesn’t have that yet
At some point, he's going to lose them a test or a series due to missing a stumping, dropping a few catches, missing some vital byes, or any combination of the above. Until then though, his ability to allow India to bat a good deal deeper than their order would otherwise suggest makes him a transformative player for them.

They wouldn't have won in Australia without him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back