Sports Epic sporting matches you missed..

Remove this Banner Ad

99 wc semi was awesome , watched that with mum , bro , sis and a mate - went beserk at the end , dad came out half-awake in his undies scratchin away , look at the tv , looked at us and shuffled off without a word :D

Couldn't sleep for the rest of the morning...whole night without sleeping a wink....the Single Bloke Days...haaaaa....

The last 10 overs of that Bevan winning runs off the last ball, NY Day, 1996.

For those of you LOL'ing, here it is...and I was nowhere to be seen.

Understandable that day/night mate.
I remember watching that whole game..mostly because i couldn't move off the couch :D

Couldn't sleep for the rest of the morning...whole night without sleeping a wink....the Single Bloke Days...haaaaa....

Sadly probably the peak of ODI cricket too - amazing finishes - amazing tournaments from Klusener/Warne - S.Waughs hundred against the Saffers. I think this tournament set a level of excitement about one day cricket that could never be really matched again.

I clearly remember that match- was at my aunty's place all day/night for a new years party. Got me interested in cricket enough to go to the next ODI's in Melb for the next 5 or so years, before I dropped off it and now am back to hating cricket again :D

Sadly probably the peak of ODI cricket too - amazing finishes - amazing tournaments from Klusener/Warne - S.Waughs hundred against the Saffers. I think this tournament set a level of excitement about one day cricket that could never be really matched again.

Indeed...biggest problem now is that each of the formats have a horses for courses mentality...great for enthusiasts but for the fringe dwellers no more watching Booney play a Test and then a ODI and then a Test.

There is simply no loyalty to a player and the crowds reflect the disinterest.

I went to bed halfway through the Aussie innings when we were pretty much all out for nowhere near enough.

On the reverse side...I definitely remember this...

I very nearly missed that one. I was only saved by the fact that the house I lived in at the time had no bedroom heating and I stayed up an extra 30 minutes while my electric blanket warmed up - it was during that time that Warney came on to bowl and changed the whole course of the match so I stayed up until the end.

That was the first ever ODI I watched from start to finish, previously I'd only last a few overs... or maybe just one sides 50 over dig BUT ever both innings until that game. There's a recently released cricket dvd that has a few classic cricket finishes which has the last over of that match in it's entirety (unsure of the quality... only read the back cover).

In terms of sporting events I didn't see, I missed the world Cup 99 semi final. Made up for it by watching the World cup final from start to finish.

I missed most of the epic 5 set match between Roddick an El Aynaoui at the Australian Open, tuned in for the start.... missed the majority of the middle. The end was a classic though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was the first ever ODI I watched from start to finish, previously I'd only last a few overs... or maybe just one sides 50 over dig BUT ever both innings until that game. There's a recently released cricket dvd that has a few classic cricket finishes which has the last over of that match in it's entirety (unsure of the quality... only read the back cover).

Australia was well and truly ****ed at one stage...that's when I left...amidst teen alcoholic vomit and a cold change....6 for 38...who wouldn't have left....?

The Windies made 173 in an innings shortened by rain. When Australia went into bat, they were immediately in trouble, collapsing to 6 for 38. On came Bevan, and two and a half hours later, Australia was 9 wickets down, 1 ball to play, with a 4 needed to win the match, and Bevan on strike

and then again he does it in 2002....

No.9 - BEVAN RESCUES AUSTRALIA
MCG, 2002, Australia v New Zealand
Four down. Just 53 runs on the board. Chasing 246.
Australia's prognosis was bleak when Michael Bevan strode to the crease against New Zealand at the MCG in 2002.
The situation worsened when Bevan lost batting the last recognised batsmen in Steve Waugh and Ian Harvey as the home side collapsed to 6-82.
But with a little support from Shane Warne and Brett Lee, he dug in and saw out Australia's innings, showcasing his trademark shot placement by hitting five consecutive twos in the 48th over to bring up his century, before Andy Bichel hit two fours in the next over to seal the win

Had a shared guest pass with a mate in 2006 for the Ashes. I had days 2 & 4.
Was on my to the WACA after a lecture in 2003 and a uni mate convinced me to go down the beach. Missed Hayden score 380.
Had pay per view booked at a mate's house for the Tyson V Hollifield fight and missed the bus and got there late... too late.

99 wc semi was awesome , watched that with mum , bro , sis and a mate - went beserk at the end , dad came out half-awake in his undies scratchin away , look at the tv , looked at us and shuffled off without a word :D

Watched it by myself, but it was one of those rare moments where random people called me then and there..... "holy s**t were you watching that?"

Not epic, but I missed the 2007 Cricket world cup final. I woke up early enough to see a bunch of confused players going out to finish the game in darkness.

Hewitt v Federer 2003 Davis Cup
Australia v Croatia 2006 World Cup
Most of the 2014 NBA Playoffs

I'd been pretty lucky the previous six years, working mainly nights and being able to watch most of the NBA Playoffs between 2008-2013. New career began in 2014 which meant I missed 90% of the Playoffs.

While technically I didn't miss it, I was at the North Melbourne v Essendon game from like 1999 or whenever when Carey and Lloyd had a huge shootout. Was only five at the time and we had seats right up in the nosebleed section and all I remember from the day was not being able to see anything but being able to hear loud roars everytime a goal was kicked. Would've been a fascinating game to actually be able to watch.

Australia was well and truly stuffed at one stage...that's when I left...amidst teen alcoholic vomit and a cold change....6 for 38...who wouldn't have left....?

The Windies made 173 in an innings shortened by rain. When Australia went into bat, they were immediately in trouble, collapsing to 6 for 38. On came Bevan, and two and a half hours later, Australia was 9 wickets down, 1 ball to play, with a 4 needed to win the match, and Bevan on strike
Remember watching that live on tele at my grandmother's house as a kid. Was the first summer I really started watching cricket properly, and that game really established my love for the sport. Awesome stuff.

Australia's prognosis was bleak when Michael Bevan strode to the crease against New Zealand at the MCG in 2002.
The situation worsened when Bevan lost batting the last recognised batsmen in Steve Waugh and Ian Harvey as the home side collapsed to 6-82.
But with a little support from Shane Warne and Brett Lee, he dug in and saw out Australia's innings, showcasing his trademark shot placement by hitting five consecutive twos in the 48th over to bring up his century, before Andy Bichel hit two fours in the next over to seal the win

Saw this one on tele as well.

I remember going to school the next day (it was probably the second day of school for the year), and my Science teacher had "MICHAEL BEVAN IS A LEGEND" written in across the whiteboard, and proceeded to spend pretty much the entire lesson talking through his experience of watching it, blow-by-blow. One of my funnier memories from high school :D

Australia was well and truly stuffed at one stage...that's when I left...amidst teen alcoholic vomit and a cold change....6 for 38...who wouldn't have left....?

On the first one, saw the chase (although the TV coverage in Qld missed Tubby getting run out from a poor call from Slats, and I think it joined when Ricky Ponting played on to Curtly Ambrose) because I was at a family do at the beach by day. It seemed hopeless after Stu Law nicked one, then Ottis Gibson got M.Waugh and Shane Lee on successive balls.....

On the second one, only got home in time to see the finish thanks to Centrelink appointments by day and footy training by night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back