EPL Matchday 3 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that is fair, but i doubt much has changed since the last time you were at a particular team's game.

Hm, exactly my point. Sunderland, Swansea, West Brom, Norwich, Spurs, Hull, Man City, QPR and Blackburn among others are I'm sure still singing pretty similar chants to the ones I experienced.

They did sign the Turkish Dean Rioli.

He has made a decent start though to be fair to him.

sure-ok.gif
1661232320038.jpeg

They'll be linked with Damien cupido next. Bring back '03 bombers.

He's made more than a decent start. A six month spell at Watford where they were going through a manager every two weeks isn't an indication of his fitness or general ability. Dean Rioli, PMSL.

I don't think his skin folds is a recent development.

He was linked to Leeds in some click bait at the start of last season and we had the same general funny reaction. As I said, Dean Rioli was a gun player. He's doing it for the fat blokes.

I don't think his skin folds is a recent development.

He was linked to Leeds in some click bait at the start of last season and we had the same general funny reaction. As I said, Dean Rioli was a gun player. He's doing it for the fat blokes.

That second tweet sort of proves my point about his season this year. He's no fatter than Mitrovic as one example. Just someone that carries a bit of bulk. If you do want to discuss him and City's start to the season, perhaps the Championship thread would be more appropriate though.

"Football in a library" a common chant at most of those grounds.
It's been chanted at every game I've ever been to, whether we're home or away.

Away support is as boring and predictable as home support nowadays. Singing the same songs that have been sung for decades.

You're support is ******* s**t
Worse support we've ever seen
1-0 and you still don't sing
You're not singing any more

One of.my favourite parts of every home game (and it is every home game) is when the away support eventually brings out "where we're you when you were s**t". It normally gets a big cheer from the home supporters.

In contrast, went to a cup game between Hertha Berlin and Dynamo Dresden and it was not stop chanting and flares etc. Atmosphere was intense.
But was anyone watching the game?

That's my criticism of organised support, the football tends to be incidental.

Thought it looked offside at the time

Was surprised at people complaining about the speed of the review when this isn't a new thing, was happening throughout last season which is fine. If it's that close then it's not worth examining minutely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not if you want to leave the ground with your front teeth in tact. Most English supporter bases absolutely hate organized support. Even flags etc are considered very cheesy. The support is generally organic on the terraces.

You tend to get the worst atmosphere at the top 6 clubs tbh, so tonight's atmosphere was probably par for the course.

They tend to have the larger stadiums but also a much larger % of tourists and walk ins and a much lower % of their overall crowd numbers is what most English fans would consider a hardcore fan. Half and half scarves galore at their games.

Most of these tourists generally don't know the songs other than singing along to something like YNWA, which effects the atmosphere.

The larger stadiums don't tend to have as good acoustics as some of the packed smaller 30-45k grounds also. These grounds are less like bowls also for max capacity, so the crowd is right ontop of the field.

Out of the largest stadiums in the UK, Celtic are definitely an example of a side with a large stadium but very decent home support.

Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd and Liverpool are all fairly embarrassing most of the time from that perspective compared to some of the other traditional clubs. Their commercial success and popularity world wide is a double edged sword, as they have lost this side to their home support.

Go to Elland Road, Celtic Park, Ibrox, St James Park or Villa Park if you want to experience the best UK atmospheres.

All good info, thanks for the reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But was anyone watching the game?

That's my criticism of organised support, the football tends to be incidental.

Generally there’s 2-3 guys with their backs mostly to the game. The rest are watching/singing. Remember this is the active support, so in a stadium of 81,349 - 30,000 are making lots of noise (including away active support) and the rest are generally sitting/watching/singing a bit after goals.

For me I love this. Standing behind the goals, seeing the game, getting drenched in beer after goals, and not spending more than 30€ inc 3-4 beers.

This video gives a good example. Lyrics translation in English

“And if you win the game,
we'll stand here and sing: Borussia, Borussia BVB!
And if you lose the game, at the bottom, then we stand here and sing: Borussia, Borussia BVB!
Whatever happens, we'll stand by you until death and sing for you, for you Borussia. Borussia BVB!”

Another good 45min docu about the other club close to my heart - St.Pauli. I live 2km from the stadium so I’m often there for games, and Saturdays have that unreal feeling I used to remember during AFL in the 90s - that vibe you have from mid morning until the start. Kind of hard to describe.

I guess with Pauli, they stand for a lot of values that I stand for, they donate a lot of their earnings to charities and run workshops for those less fortunate, they donate game tickets to refugees - all for a club who have never won one title in their existence, yet pull a sold out 30,000 stadium weekly.

This is good watching.

Generally there’s 2-3 guys with their backs mostly to the game. The rest are watching/singing. Remember this is the active support, so in a stadium of 81,349 - 30,000 are making lots of noise (including away active support) and the rest are generally sitting/watching/singing a bit after goals.

For me I love this. Standing behind the goals, seeing the game, getting drenched in beer after goals, and not spending more than 30€ inc 3-4 beers.

This video gives a good example. Lyrics translation in English

“And if you win the game,
we'll stand here and sing: Borussia, Borussia BVB!
And if you lose the game, at the bottom, then we stand here and sing: Borussia, Borussia BVB!
Whatever happens, we'll stand by you until death and sing for you, for you Borussia. Borussia BVB!”

Fan cultures are different across the world. Love the singing and passion of German fans which you can hear coming through the TV. Getting over to Germany for a game is still on my bucket list.

What I would say about fans in the UK at Premier League level is that the away support is similar to German home fans. It is almost impossible to get spares and the fans sing all day win, lose or draw. This is a result of die hard supporters getting the allocations. Don't know if it is the same for other clubs but it isn't unusual to get current and former players in the United away end at oppo grounds either which adds to it. I prefer watching United play away for this reason and logistically it is easier for me to do so, often getting in with the home fans and staying quiet haha. Cup Finals are great days as the allocations are small due to corporates and both sets of fans are on it all day and it's a party atmosphere.

Fan cultures are different across the world. Love the singing and passion of German fans which you can hear coming through the TV. Getting over to Germany for a game is still on my bucket list.

What I would say about fans in the UK at Premier League level is that the away support is similar to German home fans. It is almost impossible to get spares and the fans sing all day win, lose or draw. This is a result of die hard supporters getting the allocations. Don't know if it is the same for other clubs but it isn't unusual to get current and former players in the United away end at oppo grounds either which adds to it. I prefer watching United play away for this reason and logistically it is easier for me to do so, often getting in with the home fans and staying quiet haha. Cup Finals are great days as the allocations are small due to corporates and both sets of fans are on it all day and it's a party atmosphere.

Assuming by your post (I’m using Tapatalk so can’t see location) you’re in the UK?

Give me a DM if you ever plan to come to Hamburg or Dortmund - I’ll try my best to get a couple tickets. Dortmund is easier than St Pauli due to capacity, but generally I’ll be standing here if I get a ticket to the Millentor (a good 40-50% of the capacity is standing).

Good excuse to watch Irvine and Metcalfe too
fd649d80d09fed684ef6418d3f8d3a07.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back