EPL Matchday 9 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Leicester City went top for the 1st time on MD 13.

Spurs were in 5th from MD 11-16, their highest spot to that point, after hovering between 6th and 16th in the first 10 MD’s.

Leicester City were 1st from MD 23 to 38.

Spurs were 2nd from MD 25 to 37.

Arsenal finished second by 10 points. Spurs finished third by 11 points. I don’t know how Spurs also didn’t bottle the league in the first 10 MD’s. 😂
4-5-1 is a so-so start to the season. 3 of those draws though were to Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. 3 sides traditionally we have mixed results with.
So largely in the realm of expected results for us as a club.

Points total of 70 was our 2nd highest in the PL era (12/13) and 3rd was the highest league position since 89/90 and something we'd only achieved 5 times since 1952. Nothing from Pochettino's start in 2014 to the CL final in 2019 is looked back on by fans as anything other than a period of great football where the manager elevated the standards, expectations and levels of the club. As evidenced by the ability to surpass that more frequently in seasons since and attract better players and managers.

Searching for odds/predictions for that season sees no pundit predict a CL berth and odds were long in title and top 4 markets prior to the season.
We overachieved relative to expectations, but far less than the eventual champions. I am using facts to discredit a false narrative

4-5-1 is a so-so start to the season. 3 of those draws though were to Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. 3 sides traditionally we have mixed results with.
So largely in the realm of expected results for us as a club.

Points total of 70 was our 2nd highest in the PL era (12/13) and 3rd was the highest league position since 89/90 and something we'd only achieved 5 times since 1952. Nothing from Pochettino's start in 2014 to the CL final in 2019 is looked back on by fans as anything other than a period of great football where the manager elevated the standards, expectations and levels of the club. As evidenced by the ability to surpass that more frequently in seasons since and attract better players and managers.

Searching for odds/predictions for that season sees no pundit predict a CL berth and odds were long in title and top 4 markets prior to the season.
We overachieved relative to expectations, but far less than the eventual champions. I am using facts to discredit a false narrative

It was certainly a weird arse season but saying clubs bottled the season diminishes what Leicester City did. 81 points is certainly at the low end of what a winner would typically produce, it won’t happen often but it still did. United won the league with 80 points only 5 seasons earlier.

We're gonna get thumped.

Haven't played a game in weeks and a new manager half of the first XI won't have even had a chance to work with.
Your going to get thumped?

That’s cute.

Not only are we in the same boat but we have to go up against the best team in the PL but play at their home ground.

That’s cute.

Not only are we in the same boat but we have to go up against the best team in the PL but play at their home ground.

How are you in the same boat when you haven't changed manager?

That’s cute.

When did your manager leave with the whole coaching staff?

When were all your players totally unsettled by that?

Last edited:
When did your manager leave with the whole coaching staff?

When were all your players totally unsettled by that?
End of last season.

Start of this season. Maybe you missed our two first games.

I meant same boat as in length of time not having played a game and same amount of games being postponed for both teams.

I could argue we being on a 4 game winning run and beating both arsenal and Liverpool leading up to it to then have 4 weeks off before our next game to the best team in the world is pretty rough too. Again key word could. But Brighton as well do have it pretty bad given what has happen recently but if history in any sport has showed me that first few games under new management gets wins. So I’ll back your boys against pool even if you won’t.

End of last season.

I meant same boat as in length of time not having played a game and same amount of games being postponed for both teams.

I could argue we being on a 4 game winning run and beating both arsenal and Liverpool leading up to it to then have 4 weeks off before our next game to the best team in the world is pretty rough too. Again key word could. But Brighton as well do have it pretty bad given what has happen recently but if history in any sport has showed me that first few games under new management gets wins. So I’ll back your boys against pool even if you won’t.

Just seemed weird to make it about United when he was commenting specifically on changing managers in the last few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn’t that exactly what you did?
Yes?

I have to assume you did not read any other post but mine.

I don’t get what you’re trying to get at.

My point is we have it as hard as Brighton just in other ways.

I was arguing that United are more likely to get thumped than Brighton this weekend.

End of last season.

Oh, so not the same at all then.

Yes?

I have to assume you did not read any other post but mine.

I don’t get what you’re trying to get at.

My point is we have it as hard as Brighton just in other ways.

I was arguing that United are more likely to get thumped than Brighton this weekend.

So you're hijacking Bostonian's post to make a woe is me about United which was utterly irrelevant to the point he was making.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back