ECHUCABOY

Club Legend
May 30, 2005
Carlton
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
May appear as a bold statement but here me out.

The main point I'm emphasising is that the torrential rain made the game so great! In those sort of conditions both teams were still able to score as many points as the Swans and other teams do on a dry day when the "flooding" takes place.

The only flooding issued on friday night was from Mother nature and it made for a great game. Players were actually kicking long to contests and therefor the game was won by the team who won the 50/50 battles.

It was exciting to see players throwing themselves at the footy and doing "wirrapundas", aswell as using their first option! Deep in the backline players weren't going sideways and backwards as often as usual and players were able to contest the ball because the players were simply "GETTING IT ON THE BOOT".

It was great to see footy played like it used to be on Friday night and the true stars were able to show their worth by winning contested footy (Kerr, Judd, Johnson).

All I can say is I hope the drought breaks and we get some more wet weather footy!

ECHUCABOY said:
May appear as a bold statement but here me out.

The main point I'm emphasising is that the torrential rain made the game so great! In those sort of conditions both teams were still able to score as many points as the Swans and other teams do on a dry day when the "flooding" takes place.

The only flooding issued on friday night was from Mother nature and it made for a great game. Players were actually kicking long to contests and therefor the game was won by the team who won the 50/50 battles.

It was exciting to see players throwing themselves at the footy and doing "wirrapundas", aswell as using their first option! Deep in the backline players weren't going sideways and backwards as often as usual and players were able to contest the ball because the players were simply "GETTING IT ON THE BOOT".

It was great to see footy played like it used to be on Friday night and the true stars were able to show their worth by winning contested footy (Kerr, Judd, Johnson).

All I can say is I hope the drought breaks and we get some more wet weather footy!
you missed the Richmond V West Coast game then?

I saw both, have to say pretty equal in terms of fantastic quality footy, but the essendon game was slighty better for skills shown in the wet. Wirrpunda played as if it wasn't even raining.

sedders said:
we all said we'd win by 10 goals, 4 if its wet. we never said that it would be a bad game.

were we right or were we right?

No you were wrong. If the weather had have been fine on friday night the way the Bombers played, you would not have won by anywhere near 10 goals, hell you may even have lost.

It's all right mantis, you can keep your delusions. Look around, and you'll find the intelligent Eagles supporters were all a bit worried about the rain, as we've got a poor track record in those conditions.

Bloody excellent game though, although WC v Richmond was easily as good.

Was a pretty good game with two teams both having a red hot crack, would have been better if Sheedy didn't make like the weather and mega flood for much of the second half. The moment a coach does that they're conceding they're no match for the opposition in an honest contest, and are just hoping to keep it close and minimise scoring on the off chance that they'll jag goals at the right time and win.

Its no coincidence that West Coast have played in several of the most entertaining games this year- One thing I'm pretty proud of is that Worsfold just refuses to flood no matter what and always backs his players to beat their men in one on one contests.

Even on Friday when Sheedy absolutely stacked our forward line with players, Worsfold instructed their men to go with them and be accountable and basically force one on one contests even if that resulted in a very congested forward line for us- if he had taken the 'easy' option of flooding back the other way the game would have degenerated into a horribly ugly game of kick to kick.

IMO, not only is it aesthetically pleasing for a game to remain man on man, its actually probably better coaching than flooding back the other way. If you flood, you are basically conceding that your team couldn't possible win its share of man on man contests around the ground, and despite how football has changed, if you can't do that there's no way in hell you'll win.

mantis said:
No you were wrong. If the weather had have been fine on friday night the way the Bombers played, you would not have won by anywhere near 10 goals, hell you may even have lost.

So i gather from your optimism that Essendon is still a chance of making the 8, hell may even win the flag

Mr Q said:
It's all right mantis, you can keep your delusions. Look around, and you'll find the intelligent Eagles supporters were all a bit worried about the rain, as we've got a poor track record in those conditions.

Bloody excellent game though, although WC v Richmond was easily as good.

Mr Q, I think you will find that the Bombers usually are crap in wet weather, I didn't give us a chance before the game, was pleasantly surprised with their performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a great game marred by the odd stupid free kick from the umpires. Went both ways so I can't say the Bomber's were crucified in any way shape or form. However game of the year has still got to be West Coast - Richmond.
Amazing game that.

I didn't see the Eagles and Tiges so thats why i was nominating this one!
Does anybody agree that the conditions was what made the game entertaining? eg. Players actually kicking to contests

mantis said:
Mr Q, I think you will find that the Bombers usually are crap in wet weather, I didn't give us a chance before the game, was pleasantly surprised with their performance.

As I said, keep your delusions Mantis. The last two games we played in those sorts of conditions we kicked 4 and 6 for the game game and had two goalless quarters in each game (fyi: v Sydney, EF 2004; v Carl R4 2004).

We are a team that absolutely relies upon pin point passing and run; something that goes to hell in wet weather.

ECHUCABOY said:
I didn't see the Eagles and Tiges so thats why i was nominating this one!
Does anybody agree that the conditions was what made the game entertaining? eg. Players actually kicking to contests

I actually always look forward to wet weather games

It is great to see a different type of game and atmoshpere at the ground, sort of a blast from the past playing style

I still have fond memories of the classic WCE v Norths game at Subi a few years ago in rain that made fridays games weather look like a brief sun shower

Mr Q said:
As I said, keep your delusions Mantis. The last two games we played in those sorts of conditions we kicked 4 and 6 for the game game and had two goalless quarters in each game (fyi: v Sydney, EF 2004; v Carl R4 2004).

We are a team that absolutely relies upon pin point passing and run; something that goes to hell in wet weather.

WCE can play in both I reckon. Wirrpunda's skills made it look like it was a perfect day and Kerr and Judd shone in the packs. Though I did think at half time Essendon would win. The Johnsons are players that get even better in the wet and I thought Stanton was good also.

ECHUCABOY said:
Sheedy flooded in the second half, 8 players in our back half.

otis_david said:
Sheedy flooded in the second half, 8 players in our back half.

Theres a difference between flooding and playing an 8 man to 4 foward line. 8 players in your back half yes, but worsfold manned them up so you had 8 players and after the ball was bounced your players would move up and create space.

It wasnt flooding by having 8 men starting back it allowed the bombers on ballers to run forward eg M. Johnson. If you play the game you'll understand what Im getting at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back