Evidence of change at Collingwood - the watch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair I was pretty sure it was Bob Rose. For the older peeps on here was Bob Rose our greatest player what was he like as a footballer...

Bob Rose was before my time but my old man still says he's the best he's ever seen.

BTW I'm rapped with the new logo. Cannot believe it took them that long to change it. Never liked the Australian flag on the logo, not for the color co-ordination and I'm not a fan of the Australian flag.

I was fine with the Australian flag on the logo when the tail obscured the union jack....but then they changed it because some jingoist complained it broke some protocol having the flag on the right

far right is Bob Rose, think it's Syd?? Coventry between Daicos and Brown
Edit: we have a match!!
View attachment 433906

PS - In the "early days" when we bought our finals tickets at Vic Park, I think it was Syd Coventry (then President) who pressed an extra finals ticket into my hand - can't remember if we won that match or not...
Great memory.

Ps being it was Collingwood might have been a loss ;)

Who ever said persistence doesn't pay off.

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.

Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent.
Genius will not: unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

I was taken off the perma ban list so it's either the apocalypse or we are back in business :thumbsu:
We all know you're a bigfooty virgin.

But you're doing very well - an added poster of good work

As you can tell by my avatar I DID have the pleasure of watching Bobby play. As a kid he was everything I ever dreamt a footballer could be. On the field he was fearless, never beaten, a cross between Leigh Matthews and Daryl Baldock. Exquisitely skilled, but brutally tough, he always just seemed faster, more determined and BETTER than anyone else on the ground. When Bobby left for greener pastures (Wangaratta!) I was devastated, he was our best player, our champion and no "Collingwood is more than just one player" speeches from my grandfather could placate me. But he came back...and with him came our great teams of the late 60's and 70. He also gave us his son (Robert junior) who was also supremely talented in cricket as well as footy before his terrible car accident.

Bob Rose taught kids like me all about sportsmanship. On the ground he was unforgiving and relentless but off the field he was a true gentleman. I saw him stand up to the thugs of the VFL out on the ground (and believe me if Bob had ever pursued a boxing career seriously he could have been a ROSE or a FAMECHEON no pun intended). I once saw Ron Barrassi biff Thorald Merrett on the MCG and Bobby ran 50m from the forward flank to run through Barrassi. Ronald Dale swung around and was ready to "rip the head off" whoever it was that had knocked him down but when he saw it was Bobby Rose he just put his hands up and gave in. Barrassi was much bigger than Bobby but everybody knew that "Bobby Rose could GO a little bit" (meaning he was a gun boxer as well as a GUN footballer)

Bobby didn't deserve the luck he had coaching. He could have won premierships in '64, '66 and '70 and had he had a smidgeon of luck he would have. He coached beautiful football. High scoring, attacking players it was just sensational footy to watch. The effect he had on players like Tuddenham, Thompson, Twiggy Dunne, the Richardson brothers, McKenna, Greening and Price was immense....they all loved him.

When Robert broke his neck in the car accident Bobby took care of his son for the rest of his life. He never shielded young Robert, he included him in everything he could.

Bobby Rose was my hero 60 years ago....and he's still my hero now. If we could draft one like him we'd be top 4 next year!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've got a new (interim) CEO.

We've got new branding.

We've got a new tagline.

Some players come, some players go - just like every year.

Some assistant coaches come, some assistant coaches go - just like pretty much every year.

What change of substance are you observing around the club that wouldn't have happened in the past?

What things are different to what we might have seen in the past?

I'll kick this off ...

... earlier in the week I (a NSW member) received an email from the club titled 'Collingwood are coming to Sydney'. Turns out the email was informing me about the draw and that Collingwood will be playing Swans in round 20 next year.

Of course Collingwood play the Swans in Sydney every year. Often they even play Giants as well. Nothing odd about that. What was noticeably different were two things ...

(1) The club sent out an email that was targeted to me as a NSW interstate member (The only time I have ever got those in the past were about the disorganised and cumbersome logistics of getting to me the free ticket to the interstate game I'm entitled to)

(2) The club acknowledging that there's a world outside of inner Melbourne. To be fair, they did seem to make an attempt of that circa 2013ish, but that disappeared again pretty quickly until now.

Just like every year the club sent out a survey form, and like every year I dutifully filled it out and added a bunch of prose providing constructive feedback. Dunno if it's really the case, but this year I feel like somebody might have read what I (and no doubt many others) wrote and might actually be doing something about it.

President Ed not shooting his mouth off... A pleasant change..

As you can tell by my avatar I DID have the pleasure of watching Bobby play. As a kid he was everything I ever dreamt a footballer could be. On the field he was fearless, never beaten, a cross between Leigh Matthews and Daryl Baldock. Exquisitely skilled, but brutally tough, he always just seemed faster, more determined and BETTER than anyone else on the ground. When Bobby left for greener pastures (Wangaratta!) I was devastated, he was our best player, our champion and no "Collingwood is more than just one player" speeches from my grandfather could placate me. But he came back...and with him came our great teams of the late 60's and 70. He also gave us his son (Robert junior) who was also supremely talented in cricket as well as footy before his terrible car accident.

Bob Rose taught kids like me all about sportsmanship. On the ground he was unforgiving and relentless but off the field he was a true gentleman. I saw him stand up to the thugs of the VFL out on the ground (and believe me if Bob had ever pursued a boxing career seriously he could have been a ROSE or a FAMECHEON no pun intended). I once saw Ron Barrassi biff Thorald Merrett on the MCG and Bobby ran 50m from the forward flank to run through Barrassi. Ronald Dale swung around and was ready to "rip the head off" whoever it was that had knocked him down but when he saw it was Bobby Rose he just put his hands up and gave in. Barrassi was much bigger than Bobby but everybody knew that "Bobby Rose could GO a little bit" (meaning he was a gun boxer as well as a GUN footballer)

Bobby didn't deserve the luck he had coaching. He could have won premierships in '64, '66 and '70 and had he had a smidgeon of luck he would have. He coached beautiful football. High scoring, attacking players it was just sensational footy to watch. The effect he had on players like Tuddenham, Thompson, Twiggy Dunne, the Richardson brothers, McKenna, Greening and Price was immense....they all loved him.

When Robert broke his neck in the car accident Bobby took care of his son for the rest of his life. He never shielded young Robert, he included him in everything he could.

Bobby Rose was my hero 60 years ago....and he's still my hero now. If we could draft one like him we'd be top 4 next year!!

I wish I could like this post more than once!

Thank you so much for posting such an insightful and descriptive post. It was an absolute pleasure to read.

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.

Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent.
Genius will not: unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
Per

Thanks for posting that. Beautifully written

I wrote to the club on Tuesday night regarding interstate membership, and today I received a phone call from the membership department.....bugger me that's never happened. It's usually an email a week later apologising for the late response.
Anyway, as the new stadium opens here in a couple of months, I wanted a guarantee of a seat, and not go into a ballot, as has previously happened at Subiaco. The young man at the club said, sorry can't do this year, but that option should be available in future years, so you'll still be in a ballot for 2018. But if you sign up for a Social Club membership, you are guaranteed a seat to the Freo game, and you will go into a ballot for a Grand Final ticket if we participate. There was silence for a brief second, as I digested this information.....
God damn, he was so enthusiastic how could I say no.....so I did.

I also emailed the club, on an AFLW matter, and got a reasonable and helpful response within a few days. Happy with that.

Yesterday I got a second email, following up on the first, reassuring me the club was keeping track of my request. It was a real email from a real person, because it addressed my specific request. Yikes! Maybe the club is trying to improve its communication with members and fans.

Maybe its my Pollyanna attitude when it comes to all things collingwood but the silence emanating from the club speaks of a new found confidence and resilience. We sem to have deliberately chosen to adopt a small target strategy. I like it

Maybe its my Pollyanna attitude when it comes to all things collingwood but the silence emanating from the club speaks of a new found confidence and resilience. We sem to have deliberately chosen to adopt a small target strategy. I like it
I was actually just about to post something along the same lines until I saw your post. I agree that the club lately seems to be far lower in profile than it has been in the past. Maybe it is that el presidente has been asked to be a little less enthusiastic about spreading the magpie doctrine. I have no idea but it does seem that there is far less to read about the club in the media since the review. Of course that is both good and bad for a number of reasons. Let's not forget that it is the profile of the club which attracts sponsorship dollars and that fans love to read about their club. On the flipside, it does make us a far smaller target for the Caro's and the Robbo's of this world.

I’m ok with the club having a lower profile, even if temporary. No off season dramas (so far). No crazy trading (ok, Murray...). No Big Announcements. No leaks to the press. Apparently well qualified people being brought into the club. Maybe Hine was a little over zealous in justifying the Murray deal, and before that Bucks a little ham-fisted in his Mayne comments. But following the CEO appointment, I’d be happy to hear absolutely nothing from or about the club for months. And just meet my daily Collingwood needs via BigFooty.:)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back