Coaching Staff Eye on our Coaching (Ratten, Lade, Batchelor, Slater sign on)

Remove this Banner Ad

What i think the problem is that now we are expected to win games and play finals, as such Richo is reluctant to make to many risky moves IE play all of Bruce, Paddy and Timmy (yes i know he tried it for 2 games and should have won the eagles one but canned it after Brisbane) in the same forward line.

I look at other teams and most of them do have 3 tall forwards (Franklin, Ried, Tippett) GWS (Patton,Cameron, Lobe etc) Crows (Walker, Lycnh, Jenkins and McGovern) so i see no reason why we shouldnt be getting used to this set up now and not trailing it out next year when we realistically should be challenging for the flag.

I also agree on the comment about Acres not being used in the middle and the need to sort out our ruck situation. This has been an ongoing issue for the last 3 years and at the moments its the worst its looked!

Changes need to be made and unfortunately i dont think Richo has that in him to give structures and players a go over the tried and tested.

Its all very well to be critical of the coaches, but do we have anyone in mind that would do a better job?

And who would do a better job than Hamill as forward coach?

The only Saints coaching at the moment are Harvs, Lenny, and X-Man. Any of those we would like to see back at St.Kilda?

Any of them capable of doing the forward coaching role?

I don't mind us going down in a tough encounter against quality opposition, but to play one of the worse second halves of footy for a couple of years, and toss the towel in for the last quarter when it got tough is not a throwaway thing...it reflects pretty badly on the coach and his leadership group. Richo and co. should rightly be under a lot of pressure to get it right against the Dogs and make sure we don't fall back to the ways of a couple of seasons ago.

So what are you saying? His speech at half time meant players played poorly? Did he force them to kick the ball like 12 year olds?

So what are you saying? His speech at half time meant players played poorly? Did he force them to kick the ball like 12 year olds?

Maybe he forced them to keep control of the ball and try and play it around the back line. There were 4 occasions that i can count that we had the ball on centre wing and a long kick forward would have put the ball inside 50, but we tried the chip and switch and ended up in the back pocket. Even then we didnt want to kick it long to a contest rather chip it out and usually turned it over inside the 50 leading to a goal.

Now the players should execute simple kicks, but the pressure that the swans put on us was obvious and the instructions should have been to go long rather then constantly chip it around the back line and stuff it up.

Maybe he forced them to keep control of the ball and try and play it around the back line. There were 4 occasions that i can count that we had the ball on centre wing and a long kick forward would have put the ball inside 50, but we tried the chip and switch and ended up in the back pocket. Even then we didnt want to kick it long to a contest rather chip it out and usually turned it over inside the 50 leading to a goal.

Now the players should execute simple kicks, but the pressure that the swans put on us was obvious and the instructions should have been to go long rather then constantly chip it around the back line and stuff it up.

Maybe he didn't though. We have no idea what the coach said to how we played. And some on here have said we chip it to much and some on here have said we bomb it to much. Probably shows we just don't have the footy knowledge of a coach when we have different opinions on that part of the game.

Maybe he didn't though. We have no idea what the coach said to how we played. And some on here have said we chip it to much and some on here have said we bomb it to much. Probably shows we just don't have the footy knowledge of a coach when we have different opinions on that part of the game.

We will never know what the coach said, however you can pretty much work out how we play. We bomb the ball long when we are 80 out from goal and try and always chip out from defence by switching the play. That part is obvious to everyone who has watched us play this year.

Now against the swans the chipping part didn't work due to our 2 best kickers Newnes and Webster missing and also the pressure and the organisation that the swans had. Yet we tried and tried without ever changing it up and conceded something like 80 od points from pretty much direct turnovers because we got pushed back to our goal line.

We will never know what the coach said, however you can pretty much work out how we play. We bomb the ball long when we are 80 out from goal and try and always chip out from defence by switching the play. That part is obvious to everyone who has watched us play this year.

Now against the swans the chipping part didn't work due to our 2 best kickers Newnes and Webster missing and also the pressure and the organisation that the swans had. Yet we tried and tried without ever changing it up and conceded something like 80 od points from pretty much direct turnovers because we got pushed back to our goal line.

I'm not saying this is the case because I have no where near the knowledge and the stats to know but maybe the coaching panel know kicking it long out of defence against the swans is sucicide. That's the thing. Their knowledge is so superior to ours and more importantly their stats they receive are so much superior to what we know. I have no idea if Rich is going to be a great coach or not but I do know he was a great coach when we beat GWS and a poor coach when we lost to the Swans. Maybe its closer to somewhere inbetween or maybe we have no idea.

I'm not saying this is the case because I have no where near the knowledge and the stats to know but maybe the coaching panel know kicking it long out of defence against the swans is sucicide. That's the thing. Their knowledge is so superior to ours and more importantly their stats they receive are so much superior to what we know. I have no idea if Rich is going to be a great coach or not but I do know he was a great coach when we beat GWS and a poor coach when we lost to the Swans. Maybe its closer to somewhere in between or maybe we have no idea.

I would hope that they know more than us, but they are human at the end of the day and i can nit pick instances were Richo has stuffed up with selection or tactics of players this season and throughout his coaching tenure. I wouldn't say he is a bad coach in fact i think he is a great peoples coach, however i have my doubts about his tactics on game days and some aspects of the game plan.

Its all very well to be critical of the coaches, but do we have anyone in mind that would do a better job?

The only Saints coaching at the moment are Harvs, Lenny, and X-Man. Any of those we would like to see back at St.Kilda?

Would rather if we are making changes ..personally prefer guys outside club.

Prefer Steve Johnson ( GWS ) as forwards coach already undergone coaching course and has brilliant tactical mind.

Nothing against Welsh ....but Ben Hart ( ex ADL )is living in Melbourne think he would be great get as defensive line coach, surprised he was not picked up after stint at the pies..get feeling from Ben ....Bucks was rigid in his coaching methods and as did not appreciate any advice.
and finally Luke Hodge sitting next to Richo providing information as another set of eyes on setups around midfield.
If it is ok for best coach in comp ..Clarkson to use Luke's input think he would be great for Saints.

Terry Daniher has been the best forwards coach I have seen .
Our forwards improvement went through the roof when he was coaching

Just on coaching why do we persist in coming out with 4 or 5 minutes to go before the game it doesn't seem to of helped us get a flying start that I can see, why not go back to the conventional way & do a pre warm up prior to games most opposition are out 10 to 12 minutes prior to a game .
I don't think this would have been the coach's call, I'd be more inclined to think it was player driven.
If it's not working (whatever it is they were trying to achieve) then either the players need to own that and change, or the coach's need to step in and stop it.

Probably too small a sample size anyway to say whether it is something that is working in our favour or not. We played good against GWS.

Saturday's game was easily the worst performance of the year imo, 5-10 into the 3rd and I couldn't watch any more (worse than Rnd 1 against Melbourne, which I at least saw all of).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would hope that they know more than us, but they are human at the end of the day and i can nit pick instances were Richo has stuffed up with selection or tactics of players this season and throughout his coaching tenure. I wouldn't say he is a bad coach in fact i think he is a great peoples coach, however i have my doubts about his tactics on game days and some aspects of the game plan.
And this is the great unknown factor... are parts of the game plan wrong or are some players unable to execute correctly?

We can't have it both ways, and only time will tell.

And this is the great unknown factor... are parts of the game plan wrong or are some players unable to execute correctly?

We can't have it both ways, and only time will tell.

Yep that's correct, we should be improving regardless with the amount of young players coming through naturally but it remains to be seeing if we can take it to the next step coaching/tactics wise.

Terry Daniher has been the best forwards coach I have seen .
Our forwards improvement went through the roof when he was coaching
Which was no mean feat considering how many games we played at Etihad.

1 good qtr of coaching. bevo went onto plan b and that was it. all over. its becoming more and more obvious that the coaching and development has been the issue at our club for a long time now

i think richo is the type of coach that develop a side into one thats competitive most weeks, but i'm starting to have serious doubts he's capable of building a premiership winning side. i dont think he's strong enough tactically and i doubt he has the people around him to help him either

feels like a seriously average coaching group from the match day coaches right through to the development team

i'm guessing finnis is doubting the decision to go in with stability in the team around richo

Fell asleep in the second quarter and the third did us a good one. We're absolutely ******* hopeless when the oppo coach changes their game plan. Must be easy to play against the Saints.

I'm almost at the point where I can't watch our games anymore, we are so good for one quarter and then inevitably blow it during the last three. Really getting fed up with the effort and consistency of the group now. We're 4 years into our rebuild, if we don't make the 8 there needs to be serious questions asked.

Fell asleep in the second quarter and the third did us a good one. We're absolutely ******* hopeless when the oppo coach changes their game plan. Must be easy to play against the Saints.

I'm almost at the point where I can't watch our games anymore, we are so good for one quarter and then inevitably blow it during the last three. Really getting fed up with the effort and consistency of the group now. We're 4 years into our rebuild, if we don't make the 8 there needs to be serious questions asked.

i normally watch until the bitter end. rarely turn off, go home or switch over. missus was shocked when it changed channels to the state game, 3-4 minutes into the 4th

i'm not watching that s**t

i'm starting to think we might need andrew thompson to go into the football dept again just to observe whats going on. worst case is he comes out and says its all good, best case the board gets a very good insight into some of the issues

Would rather if we are making changes ..personally prefer guys outside club.

Prefer Steve Johnson ( GWS ) as forwards coach already undergone coaching course and has brilliant tactical mind.

Nothing against Welsh ....but Ben Hart ( ex ADL )is living in Melbourne think he would be great get as defensive line coach, surprised he was not picked up after stint at the pies..get feeling from Ben ....Bucks was rigid in his coaching methods and as did not appreciate any advice.
and finally Luke Hodge sitting next to Richo providing information as another set of eyes on setups around midfield.
If it is ok for best coach in comp ..Clarkson to use Luke's input think he would be great for Saints.

Totally agree with your coaching selections S66. Very good insight.

Richo started Carlisle back who was best on early.

He then moved him forward to no great success.

He then gave him a run in the ruck to no great success.

He then put him back again.

Looked embarrassing, didn't know what he was doing with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back