Preview Face-Off: Round 22 v the Swanettes

Assuming they both play, do you think the club is right to select Walker and Sloane?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pivotal game for Laird and Atkins I reckon.

I want Sydney to bring the absolute heat and I want to see how these two in particular go.

And Smithers

I'm reading lots about him as a HBF getting tagged, he's had a massive month but hasn't always been great with a tag

Want to see him do well, he'll be a barometer

This is a game of two tales, but a tale with a converging twist. There is some life poetry in this upcoming match and let me explain..
In the first 6 rounds, Swans and Crows could not be any more polar opposites:
- Crows were running, no, sprinting out of the blocks! Won all their 6 matches with ridiculous efficiency and percentage was probably our best ever start. Audits and plaudits were trying to micro-analyse our game and we were getting adulations left, right and center!
- Swans were losing all their first 6 games, getting the wrath of their fans and the AFL fraternity as a whole. People laying claims they're likely to reach the wooden spoon (at the time) and other wild postulations, but now turning into absolute nonsense claims!

In the next 6-7 rounds:
- Crows were playing with some ups and downs, with some hint of complacency and a touch of bewilderment "what do we do now that Sloane is tagged?" Too many hiccups, coughs, and puke produced!
- Swans were starting to get some players back and some of their "newbies" were gaining more confidence, and the team started to gel better. This translated into wins, and a gradual climb in both ladder positions and percentage boostings.

In the last 6-7 rounds:
- Crows learnt to handle the "Sloane tag", the team learnt the word "mongrel". Steadily the players were getting their mojo back and the team is playing of a similar standard to their earlier rounds.
- Swans continue on their stealth climb up the ladder, but the difference now is that the AFL fraternity has accepted them as a genuine premiership threat and acknowledging they're one of the form teams leading into the Finals.

So, what does this really mean for this Friday's game? It means...........I can't bloody wait!!
I like crows game style more in last 6 weeks than first 6

Points against have really dried up and that's what wins finals especially since we haven't sacrificed our scoring too much

Slight concern re injuries and 6 day breaks , would hate to win but lose guys for first final . No risk policy is best but if guys are right to go they play . No resting players but pull them out if it's going to make injury management more difficult in coming weeks

I like crows game style more in last 6 weeks than first 6

Points against have really dried up and that's what wins finals especially since we haven't sacrificed our scoring too much

Slight concern re injuries and 6 day breaks , would hate to win but lose guys for first final . No risk policy is best but if guys are right to go they play . No resting players but pull them out if it's going to make injury management more difficult in coming weeks
Id prefer winning this week and resting players against west coast if required because of the traveling and the ground is apparently harsher...

And Smithers

I'm reading lots about him as a HBF getting tagged, he's had a massive month but hasn't always been great with a tag

Want to see him do well, he'll be a barometer
Im less interested in Smith as I'm more convinced.

If Laird and Atkins have really progressed and learnt, which I suspect they have, they will show it in this game.

No idea how we'll do.

Sydney have been tough to beat of late - beat we beat them last year at the Oval.

Just wondering how switched on the guys will be. Yes they will make noises about wanting to make up for last year's finals, but they also know this year's finals are looming. Sydney have more to play for - possible top 4, at least a home final.

No idea - because we sure as heck will need to be switched on or they'll rip us to shreds. But if we do come to play, I think we can do it.

A lot has been made of Sydney's form since round 6, so let's have a look at these games.

Defeated Brisbane at home
Defeated North at Etihad
Defeated St Kilda at Etihad
Lost to Hawks at home
Defeated Bulldogs at home
Defeated Richmond at the MCG
Defeated Essendon at home
Defeated Melbourne at the MCG
Defeated Gold Coast at home
Defeated GWS at Spotless
Defeated St Kilda at home
Lost to Hawthorn at the MCG
Defeated Geelong at Kardinia
Defeated Fremantle at home

Notables being:
Rd 13 Defeated Richmond at the MCG
Rd 17 Defeated GWS at Spotless
Rd 20 Defeated Geelong at Kardinia

The rest you would say they were expected to win. Credit to them, they won the games they were expected to win but not as scary when you break it down.

A lot has been made of Sydney's form since round 6, so let's have a look at these games.

Defeated North at Etihad
Lost to Hawks at home
Defeated GWS at Spotless

Notables being:

The rest you would say they were expected to win. Credit to them, they won the games they were expected to win but not as scary when you break it down.

The beat a Dangerfieldless Geelong that saw Selwood get injured badly. Geelong are only good when those two play. GWS are hit and miss and Richmond are well............ Richmond.

We would easily be the most form side Sydney have faced all year. Probably the same could be said about us playing Sydney. So should be a good game.

Defeated North at Etihad
Lost to Hawks at home
Defeated GWS at Spotless

Notables being:

Also they only just beat our record against Freo and they did that on a day with some pretty good conditions in contrast to ours ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defeated North at Etihad
Lost to Hawks at home
Defeated GWS at Spotless

Notables being:

You can only beat the teams that you are playing.

Defeated North at Etihad
Lost to Hawks at home
Defeated GWS at Spotless

Notables being:

The notables are quite notable, though.

The beat a Dangerfieldless Geelong that saw Selwood get injured badly. Geelong are only good when those two play. GWS are hit and miss and Richmond are well............ Richmond.

We would easily be the most form side Sydney have faced all year. Probably the same could be said about us playing Sydney. So should be a good game.

GWS were missing a handful of best 22 players.

In the same way that we belted you in the finals we belted a Dangerfield/Selwood Geelong at full strength in the prelim.

Over the course of the season so far the best 2 teams have been the Crows and GWS.
That means nothing come finals.

Id prefer winning this week and resting players against west coast if required because of the traveling and the ground is apparently harsher...
I don't want to rest players , I want to err on caution if injured

Much more dangerous from injury prevention perspective on back to back 6 day breaks post Etihad than 9 days later on sandy based Domain stadium

With plenty of break thereafter

I reckon most players will get up this week but if 1 or 2 are borderline make 1 or 2 changes

Really? It's already been noted they beat a Dangless and injured Selwood Geelong and a typical Richmond inplusion after the Tiges were up by 6 goals. Even the notables have holes in them.

Our last 8 weeks

L Hawks @ home 17th
W Blues @ MCG 16th
W Dogs @ home 10th
W Dees @ Darwin 6th
W Cats @ home 2nd
D Pies @ MCG 12th
W Port @ home 5th
W Bombers @ Etihad 9th

Any better?

Back