Roast Cheating Filthy Power Found Guilty, Fined $100k, Club Facing Financial Ruin

What should the penalty be?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So why isn't the Doc being fined personally?
I'd imagine, the AFL would have to prove medical incompetence, by the Doctor .....that's a hard bar to reach & would end being a court case ....claiming malpractice, could be expensive for the AFL

My bet is the Doctor is being kept squeaky clean because if anyone goes at him too hard he spills the beans on that he was either just following orders or at the very least there is a tacit understanding between him and the football staff that you don't sub out the only key defender.

If that comes out it's a disaster for everyone (except presumably future concussed players).

My bet is the Doctor is being kept squeaky clean because if anyone goes at him too hard he spills the beans on that he was either just following orders or at the very least there is a tacit understanding between him and the football staff that you don't sub out the only key defender.

If that comes out it's a disaster for everyone (except presumably future concussed players).
I don't think Doc needed any encouragement to underplay the situation.

I'd imagine, the AFL would have to prove medical incompetence, by the Doctor .....that's a hard bar to reach & would end being a court case ....claiming malpractice, could be expensive for the AFL
Fine him for illiteracy. The protocols are so easy to read and understand us non-experts in concession can follow them.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

.... also the AFL doesn't have to prove medical incompetence. Doesn't have to go the medical angle.... just violated protocols based on judgement rather than following them.

Fine him for illiteracy. The protocols are so easy to read and understand us non-experts in concession can follow them.

Do you think his ego as a Doctor, overshadowed the AFL's requirements ?

"I'm a Doctor .....I should know if someone's concussed or not"

.... also the AFL doesn't have to prove medical incompetence. Doesn't have to go the medical angle.... just violated protocols based on judgement rather than following them.

Haven't the AFL left the judgement of doing the concussion test, up to the Doctors ? .......so really, all he's breached is the optics, not any rule

(Log in to remove this ad.)

now that clubs know the price of a concussion, we eagerly await our first such scenario on grand final day
If an appeal at the tribunal is $20K and plenty of clubs go that route - clubs might well decide to wear a $100K fine to make sure a Darcy Moore or Nick Daicos for example get to stay out there is perfectly acceptable if they can win a flag

Last edited:
Haven't the AFL left the judgement of doing the concussion test, up to the Doctors ? .......so really, all he's breached is the optics, not any rule
The test only applies to the return to game situation.

Aliir had unconsciousness AND fall to ground with no protective action. Either is enough under the definition of "Clear diagnosis of concussion with no return to game"

Even if they scat5 test him, it is for monitoring purposes only to be done during the main break or after the game. Passing this does not allow him back on to play.

The Matildas obviously not reading the AFL papers on concussion. Might be a 7-day layoff in Soccer.

12:20PM ANOTHER INJURY SCARE FOR MATILDAS, KERR UPDATE

- Marco Monteverde

The Matildas have suffered another injury scare, with defender Charlotte Grant a victim of delayed concussion.

Grant was involved in a heavy clash after coming on in the dying stages of Australia’s 4-0 FIFA Wonen’s World Cup win over Canada last Monday night.

Concussion symptoms have since emerged, with Grant confined to the sidelines on Friday during the Matilda’s’ training session in Brisbane.

However, a Matildas spokeswoman said Grant would be available for selection for Australia’s round-of-16 clash against Denmark in Sydney on Monday night, having met the requirement for concussion protocols.

Grant is the third Matildas player to suffer from concussion during the tournament, with Mary Fowler and Aivi Luik having been concussed on the training paddock last week.

As Grant watched on from the side of yeh field at the Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre, Matildas captain Sam Kerr spent time on an exercise bike as she continues her bid to overcome a calf injury in time for the battle with the Danes.

I assume you mean failing the test ;)
No, I meant exactly what I wrote. Passing the scat5 does not allow you to return to play in "Clear diagnosis of concussion" category. It is for minoitoring purposes only. No return to play regardless.

Failing the test rules you out in the "Possible" case. May return... with caution if passed.

There is no plausible scenario where the doctor arrives at that decision if he wasn’t under some influence from the club.
Depends what you mean by influence. I reckon there’s little to no chance any Port football person said ‘get ‘em back out there’ or words to that effect but the strongest form of power is where it’s unspoken and the person (or people/population) know exactly what type of behaviour is expected by those in charge and what the consequences for non compliance are.

My guess is the Doctor believes concussion is overstated in the AFL and not a believer in the protocols. Like any profession you have people with different views.

He would have had lots of conversations with Hinkley and Davies and that's why they also don't take it seriously

The doctor should of been fined but probably the hit to his reputation is worse, likewise for someone like Hinkley whose whole schtick is being seen as a father figure.

of course, you'd be stupid not to from that perspective.

100k , it would be like me losing a dollar coin through the cracks of a jetty - They’ve been given 16 Million from the AFL - here’s a great article outlining where the money is going in 2023

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back