Roast Cheating Filthy Power Found Guilty, Fined $100k, Club Facing Financial Ruin

What should the penalty be?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with fines as a penalty is that apart from the soft-cap fines, it's all monopoly money that goes around in circles.

The 2023 soft cap is $7.2 million such that $50k amounts to a .7% reduction in the soft cap arising from this fine.

While it's hard to work out what the "right" punishment in terms of soft cap is (particularly given the offence their punishing could make it counter-productive if clubs can employ less doctors etc). I would have thought if the entire $100,000 was in the soft cap, being approx 1.4% it might feel about right.
And 2-4 premiership points

And 2-4 premiership points

I would have thought suspending premisership points at most.

Absent someone being able to prove there was a direction from Hinkley or Davies not to do a test at which point my view would be Essendon them and ban them from the finals. But that probably didn't happen, and in any event would be hard to prove without a rat in the ranks.

I would have thought suspending premisership points at most.

Absent someone being able to prove there was a direction from Hinkley or Davies not to do a test at which point my view would be Essendon them and ban them from the finals. But that probably didn't happen, and in any event would be hard to prove without a rat in the ranks.
I would have thought previous very suspect events plus also being fined previously would be enough to say there’s something not right down there.

so we copped $50k for a few players pulling the masks down for a few minutes on a flight

They ignore the rules again and send head injured players back onto the ground to try and gain a competitive advantage of not losing their best defender in game all after they got caught doing the same thing before - they get $100K

can other clubs appeal it for a harsher penaty?

Haha Port gets away with attempting to manipulate outcomes. Grubs.
Ken would be "very,very comfortable" with the decision
The AFL is officially a meme.

Last edited:
I would have thought previous very suspect events plus also being fined previously would be enough to say there’s something not right down there.

If you're punishing someone though you need to do it on the basis of the wrongdoing you've found.

If they had formed the view that there was something systemic happening and we want to investigate it and get to the bottom of it and punish on that basis that's fine.

The AFL didn't form that view and hence didn't investigate or punish on that basis.

If you're punishing someone though you need to do it on the basis of the wrongdoing you've found.

If they had formed the view that there was something systemic happening and we want to investigate it and get to the bottom of it and punish on that basis that's fine.

The AFL didn't form that view and hence didn't investigate or punish on that basis.
Fair enough, they just need to lift that rug up a little more.

so we copped $50k for a few players pulling the masks down for a few minutes on a flight

They ignore the rules again and send head injured players back onto the ground to try and gain a competitive advantage of not losing their best defender in game all after they got caught doing the same thing before - they get $100K

can other clubs appeal it for a harsher penaty?
Lol! If we appealed they would probably fine us $150k

In the end, the AFL did exactly what we all thought they might do. They went soft.

I suspect that Port told the AFL they would admit to making a mistake, but absolutely fight any suggestion that it was deliberate. Probably also hinted that any such accusation would result in a lawsuit by the doctor. The AFL then backed off.

What the AFL have done though is shown that they don't take concussion anywhere nearly as seriously as the lawsuits and medical results suggest they should.
Their actions (and inactions) are going to cost them an absolute bucket load. Personally I hope it does. I hope it decimates this s**t competition and we need to start again.

Lycett out indefinitely might do them for finals. As we saw on Saturday he's extremely important to them.

Bit of footy karma?

They are going into that game down their best ruck, best defender, most imposing forward and back up ruck and some others like jones and Farrell..Geelong must be looking at this thinking the week they have hawkins and blicsavs out and they play a team with matching outs and worse

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are going into that game down their best ruck, best defender, most imposing forward and back up ruck and some others like jones and Farrell..Geelong must be looking at this thinking the week they have hawkins and blicsavs out and they play a team with matching outs and worse

Feel like Port have a surprisingly good record at the Cattery relative to most teams (well definitely us anyway) such that it's an interesting game.

EDIT - They do not. Further more the gammy bastards have only been there once in the last 5 years.

Yeah Port are done for the year.

Will still finish top 4 on the back of their winning streak. But that is it.

Kenny 2 year deal coming, Josh Carr to Richmond.

Would be nice if we can sneak into the 8 and beat them again.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

In the end, the AFL did exactly what we all thought they might do. They went soft.

I suspect that Port told the AFL they would admit to making a mistake, but absolutely fight any suggestion that it was deliberate. Probably also hinted that any such accusation would result in a lawsuit by the doctor. The AFL then backed off.

What the AFL have done though is shown that they don't take concussion anywhere nearly as seriously as the lawsuits and medical results suggest they should.
Their actions (and inactions) are going to cost them an absolute bucket load. Personally I hope it does. I hope it decimates this s**t competition and we need to start again.
Considering the toolkit the AFL had to sanction port with, if i were the lawyers for the concussion class action, I would be looking at this and making the case the AFL are not taking it seriously considering they already handed a $25k fine to port before for doing the same thing AND that clubs might look at the $100k fine and say, we will cop that if it means we can send out our player in a grand final etc

Feel like Port have a surprisingly good record at the Cattery relative to most teams (well definitely us anyway) such that it's an interesting game.
They haven't won there since the Cassisi winner in 2007. Still more recently than us, but they don't have a great overall record there either. GWS, Freo and the Swans (before this year anyway) seem to go ok down there for some reason.

I wonder, when Port Adelaide inevitably do this again (and you know they will), what will the punishment be from the AFL next time?
Another fine. The good news is that the suspended fine is only for 1 year.
Why the F@#$ would you include a suspended fine but only include it for one year? In 2025 it's ok to do it again? Ridiculous.

Honestly, a lawyer would have to be utterly incompetent not to be able to put together a case that completely destroys the AFL. Hell I could do it in 15 minutes.

OK, I've worked out how the soft cap reduction is not an issue for Port.

Hinkley would be in big bucks.
Any replacement rookie coach would start on less - probably at least $50K less.

Sack Hinkley.
Appoint Carr.
Soft cap problem solved.

I wonder, when Port Adelaide inevitably do this again (and you know they will), what will the punishment be from the AFL next time?
Will anyone ever believe their doctor again if any player suffering a head knock is not put under Concussion Protocol?

I can't see how he can perform that match day task ever again. Zero creditability now.

Will anyone ever believe their doctor again if any player suffering a head knock is not put under Concussion Protocol?

I can't see how he can perform that match day task ever again. Zero creditability now.

This is the bit that amazes me, I'm stunned the Doctor is just sitting there taking all the blame for this happily.

Back