Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish Fages was the problem. That would be such an easier solution. Sadly, I think he’s in the top handful of coaches in the comp. This is a list problem, not a coaching problem, and it has been the whole way through.

Something of a mini-rebuild coming.

I wish Fages was the problem. That would be such an easier solution. Sadly, I think he’s in the top handful of coaches in the comp. This is a list problem, not a coaching problem, and it has been the whole way through.

I don't quite agree that he's in the top handful of coaches, but I completely agree that this is a list issue more so than a failure to waive a coaching magic wand.

think we have too many stars not enough guys who do a job.

I can see where you're coming from but I think the players are a reflection of the culture the coach creates. Melbourne run so so hard. We are lazy, and Fagan seemingly pats everyone on the back.

I definitely think the playing group could be better. But I’ve never rated us as highly as some playing wise. But definitely tactically I think we need better coach in there. Whether that’s as main man or 2IC to fages probably doesn’t really matter.

We're going to get a massive leg up by getting the no. 1 pick that conveniently fits into our weakest line. Add in Fletcher as well. I think we'll have a small window where we may be able to re-tool on the run without dropping off too much, if done well.

Who needs to go, then?

Zorko, Lyons, Rich, and Gardiner. I'd move the four of them on at the end of the season. Harsh, but we're as experienced as Melbourne tonight - this is the peak from this particular build (and particularly those players).

I realise he is much-loved, but I don't think Mathieson is a best 22 player going forward either. So there would be at least five changes for round 1 2023. I'd bring in Ashcroft, Ah Chee, Adams, Robertson (if he sticks around) and try to trade somebody else in as well for that group.

Think we'd be younger, faster, and have a new look to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zorko, Lyons, Rich, and Gardiner. I'd move the four of them on at the end of the season. Harsh, but we're as experienced as Melbourne tonight - this is the peak from this particular build (and particularly those players).

I realise he is much-loved, but I don't think Mathieson is a best 22 player going forward either. So there would be at least five changes for round 1 2023. I'd bring in Ashcroft, Ah Chee, Adams, Robertson (if he sticks around) and try to trade somebody else in as well for that group.

I think Zorko still has a place for one more year but it can't be as the captain.

Yep, with Lohmann and Wilmot not far behind entering the 22 either.

Pay him out for next year and go for someone else. If defence wins premierships then at this rate I’ll even put up with Ross Lyon …. And that’s me swallowing pride here

I would put significant money on us going backwards with any other coach with this list.

I think Zorko still has a place for one more year but it can't be as the captain.

I thought so too, but tonight has changed my opinion on that. We need something of a reset, and I don't know if he can be a part of that.

I said this was coming.

Unfortunately, probable long term injuries to Andrews and Gardiner make it harder.

I agree. But we won't. I bet we go to 2023 with all of them on the list. Including Beast.

But tonight has exposed 5 or 6 who just aren't there when it gets really hot (Joe included).

A mini rebuild is required but won’t happen

Unfortunately I think I agree. But we have proven some degree of ruthlessness in the past - namely in moving Rockliff on in 2018. Hope we have the courage to do the same again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back