Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Fagan has constantly said throughout his time at the club that if he thinks he is not the right fit for the club any longer he will walk away, IMO Fagan is an honourable man and would follow through with that if he thought it was for the betterment of the club.

FWIW I want him to stay, at the very least to the end of this season.
I’m of the same view particularly after hearing him in the off season. I just how his word is good because we need it to and there is no shame in anything he’s ever done for the club if he steps aside.

Nailing the next appointment will be the hard part.

Also not saying Fagan should go he is a good people manager
He just gets out coached by tactical coaches often.
We needed to bring someone in to help.
Nope we got rid of a coach to save money

I’m of the same view particularly after hearing him in the off season. I just how his word is good because we need it to and there is no shame in anything he’s ever done for the club if he steps aside.

Nailing the next appointment will be the hard part.

Yeah Fagan will walk before he is pushed and I think he walks if we go crappy in the finals or don’t make them

GWS (and carlton) had 1 week more pre-season than us. Don't think its really a factor.
You are right , we are talking about professional well paid players here. There are no excuses. One week is no difference. Not in the 1st game when you are up by a mile and then loose. In my opinion there seems to be a lazy relaxed attitude. At some time they must be held accountable for their performances and it appears Fagan, rather than dropping players seems to me , is prepared to turn a blind eye and i am referring to Oscar and Berry and there are of course others. There needs to be some pride and at the moment there appears ,for some players , no pride at all or accountability.

Also not saying Fagan should go he is a good people manager
He just gets out coached by tactical coaches often.
We needed to bring someone in to help.
Nope we got rid of a coach to save money

I have been of the opinion that we need the same setup we had at Hawthorn. Fagan needs to play the role he played there, here and we need a coach with a tactical brain and toughness.

Even if Fagan goes as coach, doesn’t mean he isn’t useful elsewhere.

Where is Nobel?

I have been of the opinion that we need the same setup we had at Hawthorn. Fagan needs to play the role he played there, here and we need a coach with a tactical brain and toughness.

Even if Fagan goes as coach, doesn’t mean he isn’t useful elsewhere.

Where is Nobel?
When Fagan put his arm around Cam in tears after he attempted a silly around the body to win the game in his second year I thought to myself Barassi wouldn't have spoken to him for a week.

Just had a thought... maybe we are just not good enough and we have over achieved with the list we have, and massively over achieved in 2023 with nearly pulling off a miracle Premiership.

Maybe Fagan has done better with the list at his disposal than any other coach would have.

Certainly seems like it with the amount of anguish re the standard of a lot of our players on here... me included.

Just had a thought... maybe we are just not good enough and we have over achieved with the list we have, and massively over achieved in 2023 with nearly pulling off a miracle Premiership.

Maybe Fagan has done better with the list at his disposal than any other coach would have.

Certainly seems like it with the amount of anguish re the standard of a lot of our players on here... me included.
In the back of my mind I've always had the same niggling feeling.

And players we presumed were going to be guns are to date just average-good players.

We still should have pinched it last year. So many down on the day. But maybe that was the best they could do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lionsmaw- i was not able to reply. Your question who would i replace oscar with. I don’t think the lions have a talented ruck division. I am disappointed (the lions being in the premiership window did not go for Grundy). I would have traded oscar.

Also i am very upset we let Mcstay go. He would have been my preferred option. So i would say currently as a stop gap. Fort and if he does not perform the options are very limited next to none. Probably bring in Ryan who has played senior footy for hawthorn and rotate between Joe and Ryan.

Lionsmaw- i was not able to reply. Your question who would i replace oscar with. I don’t think the lions have a talented ruck division. I am disappointed (the lions being in the premiership window did not go for Grundy). I would have traded oscar.

Also i am very upset we let Mcstay go. He would have been my preferred option. So i would say currently as a stop gap. Fort and if he does not perform the options are very limited next to none. Probably bring in Ryan who has played senior footy for hawthorn and rotate between Joe and Ryan.
mcstay in the ruck would be madness

mcstay in the ruck would be madness
QUOTE— And I do not know , if you watch Lions games but heres my response to your statement,(by the way I watched that game and every Lions game )and McStay in the ruck was SIMPLY OUTSTANDING, that night in the ruck.There’s my answer to your statement.!!!! He was BRILLIANT, pity we did not keep him.

Quote from a newspaper.
Dan McStay produced one of his best games in Brisbane Lions colours in Thursday night’s Elimination Final win in a performance that will have Collingwood fans salivating.

McStay has long been touted as a trade target for Collingwood and has reportedly settled on terms to join the Magpies from 2023 as an unrestricted free agent.

He’s understood to join the Victorian club on a five-year deal worth up to $600,000 per season to add depth to Collingwood’s tall forward stocks.

That’s despite numerous question marks over the deal, with Kane Cornes, Garry Lyon and others suggesting the deal was ‘overs’ in recent months.

But the 27-year-old was superb in Brisbane’s two-point win over Richmond with 23 touches, six tackles, five marks, 10 hitouts and a goal after ruckman Oscar McInerney went down early in a showing that impressed David King.

“I don’t know if I’d be rushing a ruckman in. They got the most out of Dan McStay that I've seen for a long, long time,” the former Kangaroo told SEN’s Whateley.

“He had 23 disposals which is a personal best. The guy has played 160 games of footy and he has a PB after being thrown in the ruck when big Oscar went down.”

Last edited:
QUOTE— AND I DO NOT KNOW IF YOU WATCH LIONS GAMES - BUT HERES MY RESPONSE. BY THE WAY I WATCHED THAT GAME AND MCSTAY IN THE RUCK WAS SIMPLY OUTSTANDING. THERE’S MY ANSWER TO YOUR STATEMENT.!!!! HE WAS BRILLIANT, PITY WE DID NOT KEEP HIM.

Quote from a newspaper.
Dan McStay produced one of his best games in Brisbane Lions colours in Thursday night’s Elimination Final win in a performance that will have Collingwood fans salivating.

McStay has long been touted as a trade target for Collingwood and has reportedly settled on terms to join the Magpies from 2023 as an unrestricted free agent.

He’s understood to join the Victorian club on a five-year deal worth up to $600,000 per season to add depth to Collingwood’s tall forward stocks.

That’s despite numerous question marks over the deal, with Kane Cornes, Garry Lyon and others suggesting the deal was ‘overs’ in recent months.

But the 27-year-old was superb in Brisbane’s two-point win over Richmond with 23 touches, six tackles, five marks, 10 hitouts and a goal after ruckman Oscar McInerney went down early in a showing that impressed David King.

“I don’t know if I’d be rushing a ruckman in. They got the most out of Dan McStay that I've seen for a long, long time,” the former Kangaroo told SEN’s Whateley.

“He had 23 disposals which is a personal best. The guy has played 160 games of footy and he has a PB after being thrown in the ruck when big Oscar went down.”
did you watch that game? nank won basically every hitout and if he had a more competent midfield at his feet rather than one that was lead by the corpse of trent cotchin we would have been spanked at clearances. mcstay competed well when the ball hit the deck but asking him to be a full time ruck is just silly

We also have Kalin Lane and potentially Henry Smith in the VFL team who can ruck.

Also, McStay and partner wanted to live in Melbourne and I think that was end of story. As for Grundy, Bondi is nicer than South Bank Beach.

Agree.
FWIW Einstein never said this. Mandela effect.
I don't think that's right, it doesn't seem like the type of thing for Nelson Mandela to say.

I give Fagan until round 5 to show that he’s still got the players.
This.

Won't know what we're in for until then. Carlton showed last year that you can make a last push towards the middle/end of the season. Just need enough wins before then.

This isn't really for this thread (or maybe it is), but if we're going to stick to this bombing it into the 50 strat, we need a marking key forward in this coming trade period. The opposition teams know the umps are letting them get away with holding our smalls and talls off the ball, meaning that tapping it to a small is almost impossible. Charlie gets the worst of it. If you're going to straight up boot it into the 50, we need a McStay type to mark it and convert, otherwise, however is coaching the forwards needs to be doing something different.

Carlton showed last year that you can make a last push towards the middle/end of the season. Just need enough wins before then.
Hell, GWS was one point from the Grand Final after starting 2-7 (from memory).

This.

Won't know what we're in for until then. Carlton showed last year that you can make a last push towards the middle/end of the season. Just need enough wins before then.

This isn't really for this thread (or maybe it is), but if we're going to stick to this bombing it into the 50 strat, we need a marking key forward in this coming trade period. The opposition teams know the umps are letting them get away with holding our smalls and talls off the ball, meaning that tapping it to a small is almost impossible. Charlie gets the worst of it. If you're going to straight up boot it into the 50, we need a McStay type to mark it and convert, otherwise, however is coaching the forwards needs to be doing something different.
We also need our marking forwards, especially Daniher to stop leading to the pockets. It's like they don't trust themselves / each other and would rather take the oit of plat restart than actually mark and goal.

Game plan is never changed because Fagan is obsessed with statistics and thinks it’s on point because of it.
Yeah, in his presser he was quick to let us know that we won the last quarter. Like that matters when you lose and lose easily.

Yeah, in his presser he was quick to let us know that we won the last quarter. Like that matters when you lose and lose easily.
I hate that he tries to justify things by useless stats. The only one I care about is the final score. Big deal that each teams won two quarters, Freo still won by 23 points. Does the fact that we each won two quarters supposed to make any of us feel better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back