Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

If the club pulls that trigger. When is the best time he goes ? How does it need to be planned ? Does the club start chatting to interested parties now ?
Also …. How about another 2-3 assistants …. If they can’t afford them now how can they when there’s a payout looming for Fagan.

I think we are in no mans land.
I fail to understand why clubs extend coaches when no one is coming after them and then leave themselves open to not being able to move them on because of the financial system in play. It’s just plain incompetence and why Fagan was given a two year extension is just staggering because unless Fagan voluntarily resigns which he won’t, we’re stuck with him until end of next year and no doubt the same applies to his award winning assistants.

I fail to understand why clubs extend coaches when no one is coming after them and then leave themselves open to not being able to move them on because of the financial system in play. It’s just plain incompetence and why Fagan was given a two year extension is just staggering because unless Fagan voluntarily resigns which he won’t, we’re stuck with him until end of next year and no doubt the same applies to his award winning assistants.
The AFL inserts clauses into the standard coach contracts for a maximum six month payout for clubs that receive AFL assistance, including us. You can stop worrying.

Who would be the candidates if Fagan bailed in the next few weeks? Not likely to happen, but what options are out there?

Buckley? Nigel Lappin? Luke Power? Stewie Dew?

I don't know what goes on inside the club to comment categorically on Fagan's coaching worth per se. I have an opinion but that's all it is.

However there's one aspect he needs to stop. After every game we get the that's not our usual form ,that's not us ,the way we play ,normally we're good at stoppages ,clearances , tackling ,whatever else ,we've proven we're a good side etc etc etc.

It's been and gone mate . Past . A memory. You and the group were great , we appreciated it. The 'truth telling' session after the GF where in the end we decided we were good and ready to take the next step has sent the players into a deep funk where mentally they're still dreaming about how good they really are or can be.

All that matters now is this season and how we're playing and coached.

Who would be the candidates if Fagan bailed in the next few weeks? Not likely to happen, but what options are out there?

The usual. An assistant will take over whilst we find someone in 2025. If we are not finals bound halfway during the year I think Fagan will step aside.

Fages is a good man but also deficient in tactics imo. Not much has changed in the last fews years. Thank you for your service.

He refuses to have a go at the blatant scragging of neale. If any other multi brownlow player had that umps would be giving them free kicks galore. He also said nothing after the biclavs incident a few yrs ago which cost us the game.

Players are regressing this year. We have major deficiencies. Any big bodied midfielders in the vfl or sanfl about 25 who want to play with a grand finalist? Any half decent rucks?

Also line coaches need a reset.

Shd recruit successful geelong or sydney coaches ex players etc who can teach us their tactics

If the club pulls that trigger. When is the best time he goes ? How does it need to be planned ? Does the club start chatting to interested parties now ?
Also …. How about another 2-3 assistants …. If they can’t afford them now how can they when there’s a payout looming for Fagan.

I think we are in no mans land.

Fagan is out of contact at the end of the year or next year?
If this year, you just let him walk without a contract.

If it's next year, you try to poach an assistant/footy person from another club with the idea that they replace Fagan. Don't do a Bombers by announcing it before hand though.

Then if you need more assistants (which we don't need more, just better quality), then you get them either way. Won't be an instant solution.

He won't be let go during the season, Fagan has too many runs on the board and we're not that kind of club anymore.
Can see him not getting offered another contract though, as per the above.

Wouldn't mind Power, heard good things. Dew is done with being coach, Buckly can stay where he is, don't know about Lappin.

We’ve achieved nothing and this season is going down the toilet and you think the status quo is turning this around to a flag?

Mate, we started last year almost just as bad to be honest and still ended up one Jarrod Berry 50m penalty away from a flag.

To be honest, the more I think about it we actually started WORSE last year. We won against Melbourne but very nearly coughed up an unassailable lead in 10 minutes after the lights came back on.

A completely flat, uninspiring game against the dogs where we lost against a team that looked even more uninterested than we did.

And the Port match where we looked like a VFL team and got absolutely obliterated.

I’d take Buckley if only for the fact that he’s a man driven to winning a flag, and him finally getting one at Brisbane would be the most poetic thing to ever happen in the league

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't like Fagan's comment last night "they're the players we have".
Does two things shifts blame from coaches to playing group and says to the other younger players not getting a run he doesn't see them as a genuine option.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think Fages has a bit on his plate atm but I thought that comment was ill considered too and he'd take it back if he could.

I didn't like Fagan's comment last night "they're the players we have".
Does two things shifts blame from coaches to playing group and says to the other younger players not getting a run he doesn't see them as a genuine option.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yea it's a real worry what he's coming out with. It's tough after he's just made the GF. I'm generally not a 'sack the coach' type but if the club wants to give the flag another genuine crack with the list they need to move this year. The worst thing would be recovering into finals (which is likely I think even from here and team is too good not to) and feeling like things are ok then wasting next year with Fagan also when the opportunity may be passed by.

Mate, we started last year almost just as bad to be honest and still ended up one Jarrod Berry 50m penalty away from a flag.

To be honest, the more I think about it we actually started WORSE last year. We won against Melbourne but very nearly coughed up an unassailable lead in 10 minutes after the lights came back on.

A completely flat, uninspiring game against the dogs where we lost against a team that looked even more uninterested than we did.

And the Port match where we looked like a VFL team and got absolutely obliterated.

Well said. It certainly wasn't as poor as we've been at times this year but we started 1-3 in 2021 as well.

It has been a disappointing start but I'm not throwing the toys out of the cot unless we lose to North.

Well said. It certainly wasn't as poor as we've been at times this year but we started 1-3 in 2021 as well.

It has been a disappointing start but I'm not throwing the toys out of the cot unless we lose to North.
Agree, things can only improve.

There are leaders who are great at taking a small team and turning them into a company.
There are leaders who are great at taking a small company and making it into a large one.
There are leaders who are great at taking a large company and turning it into a conglomorate.

It is exceptionally rare that is it the same person who can take the journey all the way from 'entreupener with an idea' through to fortune 500 CEO.

Fagan has done a wonderful job of building a culture of inclusiveness and loyalty and the brand from a joke to a force to be reckoned with ... I am not so sure he has the skillset to build in the professionalism, team play and killer instinct to take that final step and that is no rap on the bloke as without him where would we be today (actually we would all be briztoon and already focussed on next years draft period!)

If the rumours are true that relationships within the playing group have been fractured, Fages and the coaching staff are going to have their work cut out getting them all back on the same page.
Unfortunately this has potential to be really messy and now I can see why McCluggage hasn’t resigned yet.

We need to bring those water guns out again I reckon before it’s too late, that’ll help the group bond together again.

Whats the basis of this rumour?
Will let someone else explain in more depth but this could crack the playing group in half and destroy the culture that we have grown with our current side since Fages came to the club.

This season has gone bad to worse in just 3 weeks and it could get more uglier very quickly.

Unfortunately this has potential to be really messy and now I can see why McCluggage hasn’t resigned yet.

We need to bring those water guns out again I reckon before it’s too late, that’ll help the group bond together again.
We had the Rayner/Daniher thing last year.

Now the Rayner/Hipwood ?

Common denominator ?

These things never used to see the light of day. Lots of pressure on players and clubs these days with SM and the media being what it is. So you try not to self inflict.

Whats the basis of this rumour?
I mentioned this in another thread and what I have heard is a large number of players went to Vegas after a golf trip somewhere in the south of the states. These players had a group chat going between themselves and one of the players had it linked to his partner back at home accidentally. Some of the players were misbehaving with the opposite sex and this information got back to their wives and girlfriends through the group chat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back