Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

I mentioned this in another thread and what I have heard is a large number of players went to Vegas after a golf trip somewhere in the south of the states. These players had a group chat going between themselves and one of the players had it linked to his partner back at home accidentally. Some of the players were misbehaving with the opposite sex and this information got back to their wives and girlfriends through the group chat.
Thanks. Not good

We had the Rayner/Daniher thing last year.

Now the Rayner/Hipwood ?

Common denominator ?

These things never used to see the light of day. Lots of pressure on players and clubs these days with SM and the media being what it is. So you try not to self inflict.

I have heard absolutely none of this. What’s actually happened?

What happened between these two last year, don’t remember anything occurring there?
Yea I don't remember anything either. But I was homeless so I had other stuff going on.

Also, how does the boys cheating tie into a rift between hippy and Rayner?
I have seen suggestions Rayner cheated because his gf isn't in any insta stories anymore

I have heard absolutely none of this. What’s actually happened?

I have caught up now. I’m going to be a bit rude and say they really need to grow the * up and own up to their own shitty behaviour. Glad their partners found out even if it was by mistake. Can’t believe these are grown men beefing with each other because they were caught doing shitty things.

I have caught up now. I’m going to be a bit rude and say they really need to grow the * up and own up to their own shitty behaviour. Glad their partners found out even if it was by mistake. Can’t believe these are grown men beefing with each other because they were caught doing shitty things.

if this is true, on that reasoning alone, id actually get rid of the trouble makers at the end of the season.

Futhermore if this isn't solved quick there is no way we are winning the flag this year.

Last edited:
We had the Rayner/Daniher thing last year.

Now the Rayner/Hipwood ?

Common denominator ?

These things never used to see the light of day. Lots of pressure on players and clubs these days with SM and the media being what it is. So you try not to self inflict.

Rayner Daniher thing?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And here we go. Far out this group needs a win. This type of s**t only sees the light of day when teams aren’t going well.

Brisbane Lions crisis meeting after furious partners see wild antics on WhatsApp group​

Brisbane Lions have denied a split in their playing ranks despite holding a crisis meeting as the club deals with ongoing fallout from an end-of-season Las Vegas trip.

Brisbane Lions players have split from their partners and the club has held a crisis meeting over an end of season trip to Vegas.
The winless Lions called the meeting of their leaders late on Good Friday to discuss revelations that rifts occurred on that holiday to the United States.

The Herald Sun understands that one of the members of the travelling party accidentally uploaded a WhatsApp group chat to iCloud on his Apple Phone.

That person’s partner accessed the group chat back home in Australia and read messages that detailed what was happening in the US.

Those messages were then shared with other partners, who were furious at some of the wild antics being discussed in the group chat.

The travelling party of about 10 was mostly players and their US trip finished in Vegas.

Lions chief executive Greg Swann said he did not know if the WhatsApp group chat used in the US had been accidentally uploaded to iCloud and accessed back home.

But Swann emphatically shot down suggestions that the November trip was hampering the club on the field.

“If the question is, ‘Is there a split in a group?’ Well, no there isn’t,” Swann told the Herald Sun.

“It’s just bulls***. There’s no split in the group. This was in November, by the way. It’s not the reason we’re going no good.

“We’re not horrible, by the way. It’s just that a few of our good blokes are out of form.

“We asked all the leaders again today and they said, ‘No, there’s nothing in it at all’ in terms of a split in the group.”

The Lions are co-captained by Lachie Neale and Harris Andrews. A further seven players are in the club’s leadership group.

Senior officials at the Lions started fielding calls about the US trip during last week’s bye.

Sound like something that comes up regularly at my office tbh. Guys go on trips and have a bit of fun but it spills out at home every once in while. No big deal, over in a week or two

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outside of the absolutely s**t and deplorable behaviour (which is rampant in sports circles) I could speculate that certain players who got caught out might have had a go at the partner of the player who accidently uploaded to the cloud for "snitching". Can imagine the s**t that could come from that... no way I'd let someone else talk s**t to and about my partner after they ****ed up! The WAGS are close! closer than the blokes are to each other!

There are leaders who are great at taking a small team and turning them into a company.
There are leaders who are great at taking a small company and making it into a large one.
There are leaders who are great at taking a large company and turning it into a conglomorate.

It is exceptionally rare that is it the same person who can take the journey all the way from 'entreupener with an idea' through to fortune 500 CEO.

Fagan has done a wonderful job of building a culture of inclusiveness and loyalty and the brand from a joke to a force to be reckoned with ... I am not so sure he has the skillset to build in the professionalism, team play and killer instinct to take that final step and that is no rap on the bloke as without him where would we be today (actually we would all be briztoon and already focussed on next years draft period!)
*ing well said. Just wish more posters see the logic and not the emotional side of 'business'. It's hard to have any sort of discussion when the same "we've won so many games with Fagan" posts get posted back at you. Yeah winning games is good and not one poster has ever said otherwise, but we are here to win Premierships. It's turning the large company into the conglomerate that we are stuck at - I can't see us taking the next step with current coaching set up. We need to bring in the fresh IP, and the new ideas. Be AGILE for once Lions!

Probably sensationalises it a bit but here. Let’s see where this goes I guess.

Hookers or did someone drop $300k on the roulette table?

200.gif

I didn't like Fagan's comment last night "they're the players we have".
Does two things shifts blame from coaches to playing group and says to the other younger players not getting a run he doesn't see them as a genuine option.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I like GWS approach here way better. Harvey thomas is 18, doesn't have the physique or maturity yet but they've blooded him and he's getting first hand experience on what it takes to hold a spot in a winning team. We are a bit poor here even in the last 5 years, unless you walk in at a elite standard like Ashcroft.

I like GWS approach here way better. Harvey thomas is 18, doesn't have the physique or maturity yet but they've blooded him and he's getting first hand experience on what it takes to hold a spot in a winning team. We are a bit poor here even in the last 5 years, unless you walk in at a elite standard like Ashcroft.
Agree we have no reason not to be able to play someone new in our team. Especially against North this week.
That player does not have to be ready for a full AFL game fitness wise.
But he has to show he has the attributes to play at AFL level.
What better time to blood a new player than in a top 4 team (well Lions last year anyhow).

Also, young players should never be the sub in my opinion.
Play them and sub them off is a far better option.
Playing sub would be hard and an experienced player would handle it better.

Fagan is right in some ways we are stuck with the players we have after injuries to Coleman, McKenna, now Doedee and still Ashcroft.

Only 2 debut players in the VFL have shown AFL attributes in both VFL games.
Logan Morris and Bruce Reville and the club won't even elevate Reville to give him extra incentive to make the starting 22.
The mid season draft is just that midseason. Ours may be over if we don't start winning some games before then.
Also, i think our pick would be down the list a fair bit anyhow.
Upgrade Reville or even Brain now. We will still have one maybe two for the midseason draft.
Hell, we can even upgrade one placing Carter Michael on the LTI list without using Doedee or Coleman.

Agree we have no reason not to be able to play someone new in our team. Especially against North this week.
That player does not have to be ready for a full AFL game fitness wise.
But he has to show he has the attributes to play at AFL level.
What better time to blood a new player than in a top 4 team (well Lions last year anyhow).

Also, young players should never be the sub in my opinion.
Play them and sub them off is a far better option.
Playing sub would be hard and an experienced player would handle it better.

Fagan is right in some ways we are stuck with the players we have after injuries to Coleman, McKenna, now Doedee and still Ashcroft.

Only 2 debut players in the VFL have shown AFL attributes in both VFL games.
Logan Morris and Bruce Reville and the club won't even elevate Reville to give him extra incentive to make the starting 22.
The mid season draft is just that midseason. Ours may be over if we don't start winning some games before then.
Also, i think our pick would be down the list a fair bit anyhow.
Upgrade Reville or even Brain now. We will still have one maybe two for the midseason draft.
Hell, we can even upgrade one placing Carter Michael on the LTI list without using Doedee or Coleman.
Agree with that. We've been poor at blooding players. The counter argument is that the ones we have in the 2's aren't good enough. Well sooner or later you get a bad run with injuries and they need to be . This is where we're at now.

We got deluded with the success of Hodge and wasted time and player development with Birchall and Gunston. There is only one Hodge.

Fages is of a mindset ,and he's said this publicly , that what we have works so why would you change anyone or anything around There's truth in that whilst you're going well but we didn't get a flag out of it , other teams are catching up in my view and we need to get more proactive in finding alternative options.

Agree with that. We've been poor at blooding players. The counter argument is that the ones we have in the 2's aren't good enough. Well sooner or later you get a bad run with injuries and they need to be . This is where we're at now.

We got deluded with the success of Hodge and wasted time and player development with Birchall and Gunston. There is only one Hodge.

Fages is of a mindset ,and he's said this publicly , that what we have works so why would you change anyone or anything around There's truth in that whilst you're going well but we didn't get a flag out of it , other teams are catching up in my view and we need to get more proactive in finding alternative options.
Fagan has over the years fallen back to the usual depth guys that do a reasonable job.
Answerth, Fort, Joyce, Madden, Prior, Sharp, Tunstill and Robertson
Tunstill and Robertson may still make a best 22 at some stage but i am not very confident of that happening.

I think our biggest mistake in the past 3 years is not finding a good player in the VFL ranks to draft.
I would rather that than our last pick in the draft. Even a pick in the late 30's onwards if the right player presents.
It may take a few tries, but you should be able to find a suitable player for a needs position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back