fair trade for mcintosh

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see you found some common sense. Not everyone is demanding a first round pick, but most of us don't see anything above 36 as reasonable either.

Time to take a look at the players on your list taken at 36 or higher...its a pretty impressive list!

- Swallow was pick 43
- Goldstein was pick 37
- Scott Thompson was pick 37
- Scott McMahon was pick 36 in the rookie draft

I could name half a dozen Premiership players at Geelong taken higher than 36. Seems about right to me for a guy who has not played a lot in the last 2 1/2 years, and has an injury history as long as your dick. Especially when quality players are available at this pick or even higher. No faith in your recruitment team to find a quality player at 36? They appear to have done it before.

Yet North tells HMac that he's destined for the VFL in 2013, because Goldstein is better.....but hey...we want a high pick for him...much higher than we got Andrew Swallow for, or........... Todd Goldstein for...ohhh....:D

Yeah..makes sense :rolleyes:

Cheers.

So what are Geelongs next picks after 36?

It's around 54 is it?

I'm just wondering, as Donald McDonald was on record today saying that they rate picks inside the top 50 as essentially the cream and once you're out of that range it's pot luck.

If we got an upgrade to inside 50 then it would be a done deal.

sadly i havent been able to talk to my good friend who works at geelong as he is flat out busy dealing with the trades, one of the busiest times of the year for him as his job is involved with list management down at geelong, if i did id have a lot more around here to say

but if brown goes and possibly gillies on the trade table then we will have a few more picks to chuck in plus the byrnes compensation

Time to take a look at the players on your list taken at 36 or higher...its a pretty impressive list!

- Swallow was pick 43
- Goldstein was pick 37

I could name half a dozen Premiership players at Geelong taken higher than 36. Seems about right to me for a guy who has not played a lot in the last 2 1/2 years, and has an injury history as long as your dick. Especially when quality players are available at this pick or even higher. No faith in your recruitment team to find a quality player at 36? They appear to have done it before.

Yet North tells HMac that he's destined for the VFL in 2013, because Goldstein is better.....but hey...we want a high pick for him...much higher than we got Andrew Swallow for, or........... Todd Goldstein for...ohhh....:D

david, premierships are built on making the most of picks mid and late in the draft creating "depth" at your club, you only need to look as far as the list of carlton with the early picks than stuff all else than look at our 2007 premiership team to realise this

at the end of the day how you recruit with your second and third rounders is probably more vital than your first rounder, the first rounders are generally pretty obvious and easy for recruiters to pick a quality player, once you get into the 30's plus it probably takes a very very good recruiter to constantly be able to seperate and identify who has what it takes to become an AFL player

and luckily we have "stephen wells" ;)

"North tells HMac" - just quietly, it's probably not the same as what some supporters on BF tell some Cats fans. Our actual footy department has said very little, nothing that could lead you to this conclusion.

Your points about our recruiters doing well with middling picks is right, and I'm sure what they can get for whatever Geelong offers is an important part of the discussion.

- Swallow was pick 43
- Goldstein was pick 37

We got 2 of those picks via trades.

B Moran got us the Thompson pick.
Pick 45 got us 43, J Rawlings and half of his awful salary (last year). Yes we improved our pick by taking him.

Moran had potential but had only played 3 games in the 3 years he was at North. Hamish should play a lot more games (and better ones) at Geelong than Moran did at Adelaide. Hamish is also a proven bigman. Because of his injuries and age he is not going to get pick around 15 anymore but his value would be higher than 36.

Hopefully it get sorted out soon. It's been said North want Jacobs out of the deal and he's value to Port would be more than 36 as well. What would Browns value be at Geelongs? Maybe a fair trade for all if Port like Brown.

It has a lot of relevance. I would rather have McIntosh any day of the week than a spud who can't take a chest mark. Simply makes the calls of pick 36 and an exchange of late draft picks more ludicrous.

It is the age difference that makes Dawe's a better prospect than McIntolsh. 29 and 2 years of injury has blown his worth out. Dawes is only 24 and with Mitch Clark there will be getting the 2nd best backmen - something he was Ok at with the Pies.

It has a lot of relevance. I would rather have McIntosh any day of the week than a spud who can't take a chest mark. Simply makes the calls of pick 36 and an exchange of late draft picks more ludicrous.

What Melbourne are willing to trade for someone has no bearing on what Geelong are willing to trade for someone completely different.

What Melbourne are willing to trade for someone has no bearing on what Geelong are willing to trade for someone completely different.
Maybe it has no bearing, maybe it does. But what Geelong are willing to trade and what North are willing to accept is also completely different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The McIntosh trade could involve Melbourne and Gold Coast and Cam Pederson and Jared Rivers.

North: Player & Gold Coasts pick 25 or Geelongs pick 36
Geelong: McIntosh & Rivers
Melbourne: Pederson
Gold Coast: Geelongs pick 15

Geelong wont give up 15 for McIntosh & Rivers , when they can get rivers for free and 15 is way overs for McIntosh.

pick 36 and an exchange of late picks?
Like i posted earlier, I reckon this will be the most likely outcome.

Geelong haven't got a sweetner player sitting on the table who is of use to North. No knock on guys like Brown, etc, they just aren't who we need to strengthen our list weaknesses.

The key will be what can be done to upgrade the second Geelong pick to something inside 50. Our record of grabbing good second and third rounders since Bryce Lewis took over recruitment at North has been excellent. We would be reasonably confident of making a good fist of something in this range.

Something in the later 30's to mid 40's and the deal would be a certainty.

Probably we won't know anything until after the compo's are released on Friday, regardless of what keeps being said in the media about a deal being "very close".

Atleast we now know that North aren't willing to accept 36 for Hamish. Because North asked about 15 from Geelong and short answer was no (Source Donald McDonald), so that means that Geelong were likely offering pick #36, which would of been done by now if North wanted it.

So the conclusion that has to be made is North are either waiting for Geelong to get a pick in the middle of the two, or North are asking for a player along with #36 that satisfies them. All in all I'm happy with this, means the reports that Geelong were offering their 3rd rounder and North were asking for their 2nd rounder is bogus.

Either way I'm all good because Donald McDonald stated that we're fine with keeping Mcintosh is the right trade isn't there, and that's what I like to hear. At the least we're getting something a little better than pick #36 which is about his worth I think. #15 is too high yes, but I like the fact that we asked for it.

Well now Melbourne have traded picks 20 and 45 for a spud like Dawes what does that make McIntosh worth???

And the Dogs traded Brian Lake to move up 6 spots... He's old, like McIntosh, isn't a premiership player, like McIntosh, and has a history of injury, like McIntosh.

I think North fans are drastically overvaluing HMac still...

He'll look great in the hoops next year though, regardless :thumbsu:

asked this before.
what about pick 31 to north, mcintosh to geelong and dawson simpson to richmond. would both parties be happy with this. not sure my mob would be though. not sure i am.

I knew the Cats were keen on Hamish...

180412_McIntosh_IA1.jpg

...but thats going to an extraordinary "length" to court a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back