Tasmania Fastest way to get a Tasmanian AFL club

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I know how they feel. We have 2 FIFO clubs frequent the state, take large chunks of sponsorship, ticket & merchandise sales, & take it interstate. They do virtually nothing for Tasmanian football. The AFL itself leaves a few crumbs for Tasmanian football. Certainly nothing like the the sums taken away from here each game.

Nice try. it is not even close to the same as the AFL competing with its own clubs at the level they do in Victoria.

Is that what you mean by 'compensated'? If you do, then its clearly more lop sided here than with the 10 AFL clubs based around Port Philip bay.

Im tired of repeating myself to people who refuse to understand.

Being forced to pay 95% of the salary cap does sound onerous. But how else would the Draft work?

the same way it did before it was before the minimum was introduced in the mid 90s. it was specifically introduced to force clubs to go to the wall.

Nice try. it is not even close to the same as the AFL competing with its own clubs at the level they do in Victoria.

Im tired of repeating myself to people who refuse to understand.

the same way it did before it was before the minimum was introduced in the mid 90s. it was specifically introduced to force clubs to go to the wall.

I think its worse than the AFL in Victoria. At least their they get a guaranteed amount to cover the salary cap. They get a shot at the draft relative to their position on the ladder each year. They have a guaranteed existence in the National competition.

Who said I didn't understand. Its better than people who clearly don't care.

Which clubs have gone to the wall because of the 95% salary cap payout? I can show you clubs here that have gone to the wall or forced to change due to the actions of the AFL.

I think its worse than the AFL in Victoria. At least their they get a guaranteed amount to cover the salary cap. They get a shot at the draft relative to their position on the ladder each year. They have a guaranteed existence in the National competition.

And they should. Since they and their supporters bankroll it. Unlike teams that have never been in the competition at all.

And they should. Since they and their supporters bankroll it. Unlike teams that have never been in the competition at all.

The entitled & their place at the trough ..... some of us give a continental about our game, hell, its a national comp, no longer the local suburban that last existed 50 years ago, get with the program !!

Be interesting to see Open Mike with Jeff Kennett for more light on the AFL attempts to direct Tasmanian taxpayer funds where it choses, i.e pump up North with no genuine interest in Tas footy ... lets hope the Taswegians stand up & don't get further marginalised by the Melbourne centric management of the AFL.

The entitled & their place at the trough ..... some of us give a continental about our game, hell, its a national comp, no longer the local suburban that last existed 50 years ago, get with the program !!

You can keep spouting that until you are blue in the face, but it doesnt change the foundation on which the comp, and most of the leagues funding is built on.

Hodgman, a southern politician, was instrumental in destroying the balance the Tassie Devils had in their first few years of sharing games between the north and south. He argued that if Launceston got the Hawks, then Hobart should get the Devils, and sure enough they got their way and managed to screw that all up. People point to the North affiliation and funding in future years when examining why the team went under, but the real damage was actually done here...

He's saying nothing here...

Gee, I thought AFL funding was all about the TV rights money. Thats the way the discussions on here seem to indicate.

The AFL itself acts as the custodian for the game of AR. Maybe you should ring Gil & set him right on his responsibilities for AFL clubs & to forget the idea of having any interest in the health of AR in general.

Gee, I thought AFL funding was all about the TV rights money. Thats the way the discussions on here seem to indicate.

The AFL itself acts as the custodian for the game of AR. Maybe you should ring Gil & set him right on his responsibilities for AFL clubs & to forget the idea of having any interest in the health of AR in general.

IMO, the overt politicization of footy in Tasmania is without doubt a major reason the AFL stays away from forming a Tasmanian stand alone side. The AFL knows the market would not be that resilient and subjected to internal political machinations. I agree that it is ethically and morally fair for Tasmania to get its own side, but does it really make any corporate or promotional sense?

Hawthorn and North have significant corporate deals, don't they?

Thats never been true.

A Tasmanian AFL team is not relevant to either of these at ths time so I dont need to.

IMO, the overt politicization of footy in Tasmania is without doubt a major reason the AFL stays away from forming a Tasmanian stand alone side. The AFL knows the market would not be that resilient and subjected to internal political machinations. I agree that it is ethically and morally fair for Tasmania to get its own side, but does it really make any corporate or promotional sense?

Hawthorn and North have significant corporate deals, don't they?

The AFL control the game & where its played.

Its only 'politicised' because the AFL allowed politicians to use the game to cause division in the state. Remember that AFL footy was played in all regions of the state for years. Then we had development of York park & Bellerive oval. The decision of footy in the north & cricket in the south was just a political scam to garner political support in Launceston. The AFL allowed this to occur. So dont think the AFL were just innocent bystanders in all that crap.

We now have footy in both stadiums. The contracts end in 2021. I HOPE.

The AFL control the game & where its played.

Its only 'politicised' because the AFL allowed politicians to use the game to cause division in the state.

Respectfully, this just appears to be a silly emotionally charged comment.

Even IF the AFL could be stuffed engaging in the absurd practice of interfering in Tasmanian politics, the division must exist and be strong in the first place.

Remember that AFL footy was played in all regions of the state for years. Then we had development of York park & Bellerive oval. The decision of footy in the north & cricket in the south was just a political scam to garner political support in Launceston.

Yes. The internal divisions.

The AFL allowed this to occur. So dont think the AFL were just innocent bystanders in all that crap.

How can the AFL NOT allow the Tasmania government to engage in it's own infrastructure projects?

Bystanders? It's none of the AFL"s freakin' business as to how the people of Tassie choose to spend their money.

We now have footy in both stadiums. The contracts end in 2021. I HOPE.

You had better start lobbying the corporate interests that ultimately sign the contracts with the two clubs, ratjher than wasting your time carping on about the AFL, and you had better be armed with solid business proposals..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even IF the AFL could be stuffed engaging in the absurd practice of interfering in Tasmanian politics, the division must exist and be strong in the first place.

Yes. The internal divisions.

How can the AFL NOT allow the Tasmania government to engage in it's own infrastructure projects?

Bystanders? It's none of the AFL"s freakin' business as to how the people of Tassie choose to spend their money.

You had better start lobbying the corporate interests that ultimately sign the contracts with the two clubs, ratjher than wasting your time carping on about the AFL, and you had better be armed with solid business proposals..

Yes, the poor little innocent AFL. Used & abused by nasty Tasmanian politicians, hahahah!

I might be 'emotionally charged' but no worse than the self interest shown by those in 'the boys club'.

You forget that the original 2009 proposal given to the AFL from Tasmania had a major corporate sponsor in MARS P/L. Not a Tasmanian company. So they've already proven they can attract major sponsors.

Yes, the poor little innocent AFL. Used & abused by nasty Tasmanian politicians, hahahah!

I might be 'emotionally charged' but no worse than the self interest shown by those in 'the boys club'.

Mate, I am not catching your drift at all.

You forget that the original 2009 proposal given to the AFL from Tasmania had a major corporate sponsor in MARS P/L. Not a Tasmanian company. So they've already proven they can attract major sponsors.

It obviously didn't insulate this proposed club from downturns and local politics.

Mate, I am not catching your drift at all.

It obviously didn't insulate this proposed club from downturns and local politics.

Nothing obvious about it. Demitriou was hell bent on GWS & GC. He couldn't get NM to take the bait as he knew the Melbourne 'market' was/is over serviced. They clearly didnt want 19 clubs, what with so many welfare clubs at that time. NOONE would move to Western Sydney & they wanted that as a bit of a 'hail Mary' move. Great if it works.
Currently it looks like the AFL want NM as some defacto/FIFO Tassie team. They're not fooling anyone. The current TasGov are playing the game with the AFL it seems. Sad to say :(

Nothing obvious about it. Demitriou was hell bent on GWS & GC. He couldn't get NM to take the bait as he knew the Melbourne 'market' was/is over serviced. They clearly didnt want 19 clubs, what with so many welfare clubs at that time. NOONE would move to Western Sydney & they wanted that as a bit of a 'hail Mary' move. Great if it works.
Currently it looks like the AFL want NM as some defacto/FIFO Tassie team. They're not fooling anyone. The current TasGov are playing the game with the AFL it seems. Sad to say :(

Ever thought about writing some spy thrillers?

Ever thought about writing some spy thrillers?

Truth, stranger than fiction.
I suggest you read a bit more on the history of all this & you might get 'my drift'. My footy mates here have followed this foe years & we generally agree on all this. It must be nice not having to think about anything except going to the footy.
We should be so lucky.

You can keep spouting that until you are blue in the face, but it doesnt change the foundation on which the comp, and most of the leagues funding is built on.

Your view reflects those who long for yesteryear, an opinion that is being rejected by those who are not rooted in the days of the State leagues.

A comment in hope ....

Fastest way to get a Tasmanian AFL club?

Get rid of the entire current AFL administration and replace it with one that actually cares about the game itself. The current mob stopped doing that years ago.

My view reflects current realities and not dreams and wishes.

Your view maybe, but the current 'reality' or 'situation' is not set in stone. Given Demitriou's efforts to shift NM to the GC, I doubt it was a set plan to set up a brand new club. It appears the AFL had to adjust their thinking to cope with the NM refusal.

So far as dreams & wishes go, without the emotional aspect of footy, it dies.

If people like me & my footy friends give up on our footy dreams & wishes, then footy will truly be in a bad way.

You guys didn't see this down south, but the entire GWS/GC push originated on Brisbane tv. The AFL was hell bent on GC and GWS only after live footy every Saturday into Brisbane (not just Lions games anymore but everyone) failed to get anywhere near the support which was a supposed given due to the popularity of the Lions and their dynasty, and which rode on the wave of a pretty dominant run by all Qld sporting teams at the time. The Dogs v Dees game was outrated by Scooby Doo ("Dog outrates the Dogs"), which caused no end of merriment for the Courier Mail and the RL community up here. At that same moment, NM were playing games at Carrara and doing their sold home games marketing thing, alongside a few cameos from other sides due to the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne...

While there was always a rumbling about 2nd Qld and Sydney teams, and token Carrara sorties, there is no doubt in my mind that the major networks (Ten surely) got heavy with the AFL and demanded stronger local content in the fixture after the debacle in Brisbane, no doubt asking exactly why they should continue to fork out billions, and this caused a huge impetus for the AFL to make it happen. North were stumbling block, refusing the overtures, but the $50m they were promised turned into "$100m or whatever it takes" (Demetriou direct quote) to establish brand new sides and a 9-game draw. The draw at the time, with Saturdays heavily dominated by the Swans and Lions, plus the AFL's insistence that North would hand over admin of their club if they relocated (no doubt a prime reason North told them to GF), points towards an urgent money driven push which they did not want to see screwed up by non head office people...

This is the mentality and strategy of the AFL, this is how they run. It's completely reasonable if you understand business, but none of it helps Tassie...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back