Father Son rule is great in its current form!

Remove this Banner Ad

chooka11

Debutant
Mar 24, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox #1
What's with all the fuss surrounding the father-son rule once again? Every year there controversy surrounding this rule, but I think that everyone needs to remember one thing. Allowing players to follow in their fathers footsteps is a great part of our game. As a geelong supporter it is fantastic to see Gary Junior, and now Nathan making an impact where there father once did. And now with Tom Hawkins suddenly coming in a kicking a few goals everyone is carrying on about the rule once again. If Tom Hawkins had played the entire season in the VFL and had not broken into the senior line up would people be carrying on? NO! It is a tremendous effort to get drafted into the AFL, so why not allow players to play at the same club as their fathers before them! While there may be alot of father sons at Geelong at present it is only because they're around that age at present and in a couple of years you may not see any for awhile again. And why would Colingwood need to write to the AFL and whinge about the rule. They have 2 Shaw brothers, and up until this year 3 Cloke boys on their list, 1 of which is still playing with them this year. And how can Hawthorn bitch, they overlooked Shane Tuck and now he is playing some good footy for the Tigers!

And if we were to change the rule now, in 15-20 years plus how would essendon fans feel about Tom Hird running out and playing for Brisbane or Nathan Buckley having a son and them running out for the Eagles,their suppoters would be carrying on about the rule changes.It is a good system, and while Geelong have alot of them at present, we must all remember that while some sons work out plenty of them don't. David Clarke and Matthew McCarthy were both father/son rules for Geelong and both of them failed to have any influence on the AFL. Sons are not automatically selected by their fathers old club they are given the option of choosing to follow their fathers path, Marc Murphy opted not to go to Brisbane, that was his choice, Brisbane aren't carrying on are they, you have to respect a players decision and the clubs. It is a huge risk that doesn't guarantee a good/great player, but at present it just seems to be working for Geelong!

What's with all the fuss surrounding the father-son rule once again? Every year there controversy surrounding this rule, but I think that everyone needs to remember one thing. Allowing players to follow in their fathers footsteps is a great part of our game. As a geelong supporter it is fantastic to see Gary Junior, and now Nathan making an impact where there father once did. And now with Tom Hawkins suddenly coming in a kicking a few goals everyone is carrying on about the rule once again. If Tom Hawkins had played the entire season in the VFL and had not broken into the senior line up would people be carrying on? NO! It is a tremendous effort to get drafted into the AFL, so why not allow players to play at the same club as their fathers before them! While there may be alot of father sons at Geelong at present it is only because they're around that age at present and in a couple of years you may not see any for awhile again. And why would Colingwood need to write to the AFL and whinge about the rule. They have 2 Shaw brothers, and up until this year 3 Cloke boys on their list, 1 of which is still playing with them this year. And how can Hawthorn bitch, they overlooked Shane Tuck and now he is playing some good footy for the Tigers!

And if we were to change the rule now, in 15-20 years plus how would essendon fans feel about Tom Hird running out and playing for Brisbane or Nathan Buckley having a son and them running out for the Eagles,their suppoters would be carrying on about the rule changes.It is a good system, and while Geelong have alot of them at present, we must all remember that while some sons work out plenty of them don't. David Clarke and Matthew McCarthy were both father/son rules for Geelong and both of them failed to have any influence on the AFL. Sons are not automatically selected by their fathers old club they are given the option of choosing to follow their fathers path, Marc Murphy opted not to go to Brisbane, that was his choice, Brisbane aren't carrying on are they, you have to respect a players decision and the clubs. It is a huge risk that doesn't guarantee a good/great player, but at present it just seems to be working for Geelong!

I have no problem with it. It is only because some people feel that Hawkins will be a star. Personally i think it is way to early to judge him. In a few years we will know. Yes, at the moment he has played well, but the opposition against Geelong has been very ordinary. Adding to this is the arrogance a lot of people at Geelong (including supporters and media) have. When he is mentioned, they act as though Hawkin's was a steal, which gets up the nose of a lot of Supporters.

Finally, not too many people had heard of/ could remember Jack Hawkins, meaning a few people will question the system.

And Everybody, dont forget, Josh Kennedy is at Hawthorn, we got him in the same draft under father son, and he would have gone first round. Only difference is that we do not go on about it.

Hate the rule:thumbsdown: We get LRT and you get Hawkins? not happy:( In all seriousness though, i don't really give it much thought, and i do rate LRT, sorry bout that mate!!

Who cares, leave the rule alone.
Geelong are benefitting from the rule, Carlton and Hawthorn are benefitting from the draft rules, are we gonna change that next?

AFL please stop changing every ****ing rule as soon as someone complains.

Geelong are benefitting from the rule, Carlton and Hawthorn are benefitting from the draft rules, are we gonna change that next?

agreed - if geelong are doing well out of it - good luck to them

every team pretty much has some advantage or another

i want to see another matera or jakovich in the eagles side in 10 years - leave the bloody rules alone

typical adrian andvermin wanting to make changes to feel important

you've clearly benefitted as is, what is your motivation for change?

utterly redundant.

Surely only redundant if we were more likely to benefit in future. Otherwise why would we care if it changed or not?

What's done is done. Changes to the rules in future won't take away Hawkins or the Abletts away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, we got such an advantage from the draft rules that last year the AFL decided to change the rules and screw us out a decent priority pick. You filth were the only ones to get any advantage- you tank for one year, and they give you Thomas and Pendlebury.

You tosspot.:thumbsdown:

I have no problem with it. It is only because some people feel that Hawkins will be a star. Personally i think it is way to early to judge him. In a few years we will know. Yes, at the moment he has played well, but the opposition against Geelong has been very ordinary. Adding to this is the arrogance a lot of people at Geelong (including supporters and media) have. When he is mentioned, they act as though Hawkin's was a steal, which gets up the nose of a lot of Supporters.

And Everybody, dont forget, Josh Kennedy is at Hawthorn, we got him in the same draft under father son, and he would have gone first round. Only difference is that we do not go on about it.

I wouldn't call it arrogance that some Geelong supporters have - I'd call it stupidity. Obviously we can't do anything about the media except despise them. Look at our father/sons objectively:

Matty Scarlett - great player.
Gary Ablett junior - good player, is now established at senior level.
Nathan Ablett - 13 senior games. Looking good but a long way to go.
Tom Hawkins - 2 senior games. Even further than a long way to go.
Mark Blake - improving but still raw.
Tim Callan - goer but will most likely be gone after this year.

So out of 6, only 2 have made it at present. It's not quite a foolproof formula for finding stars. No one complained when David Clarke got sent to Carlton or Marc Woolnough did his knee twice.

You're right, not many remember John Hawkins, but then not many remember Brian Brown, or John Scarlett, or Alan Richardson either.

As for Hawthorn getting Josh Kennedy, all I can say is thank God. Personally I think having 3 generations represented at one club is just a fantastic thing. I'd hate to see him running around for anyone else.

Surely only redundant if we were more likely to benefit in future. Otherwise why would we care if it changed or not?

flawed logic. you don't need to be more likely, you don't even need to be less likely. as it is, the current system has been very good to you - and there is no reason to think a future change would benefit you anymore.

What's done is done. Changes to the rules in future won't take away Hawkins or the Abletts away.

missing the point. a geelong supporter advocating the system is meaningless. as the great beneficiary - you should have wooed Ben Cousins harder, what could your response be?

how could you be expected to be anything other than in favour of the status quo?

flawed logic. you don't need to be more likely, you don't even need to be less likely. as it is, the current system has been very good to you - and there is no reason to think a future change would benefit you anymore.

missing the point. a geelong supporter advocating the system is meaningless. as the great beneficiary - you should have wooed Ben Cousins harder, what could your response be?

how could you be expected to be anything other than in favour of the status quo?

If that's the case, by your logic, your opinion is redundant because Adelaide haven't benefited from the rule and therefore how could we expect anything other than you to be in favour of changing the rule. ;)

Father/Son is a fantastic thing to have. Getting rid of it would be a real shame. So some clubs will sometimes get first crack at a real superstar kid - good luck to them.

Or perhaps we could just forget about even playing the games and just put the premiership on a 16 year rotation system.

of course we are in favor of the status quo. What is wrong with that? Geelong has had a few F/S's that's true, but at least the rule is fair and equal. That is, that if any team has a F/S they have the opportunity to pick them up if they want under the conditions of the rule.

I have said it before that alot of this anti-F/S sentiment is just sour grapes from supporters/clubs that have not benefited from the rule yet. Is that our fault? We have not tanked. We have got our players legitimally under the rules of the AFL. Just because Hawkins has the potential to be a star doesn't mean that the rule is unfair. As previously mentioned we have also picked up a few duds under the F/S rule as well.

Lastly I take umbrage at whoever said that we are being arrogant because we have Hawkins. The media has blown its nut over him whichis fairly typical. But the club has been very low key. Some of our supporters are a little over excited but we always are when it looks like we might have a decent forward. But noone has been arrogant as far as I can see. Again, I just smell a whole lot of sour grapes about it.

would you all have preferred Hawkins went No 1 in the Draft to Carlton last year??? Not me!

We have had some luck. But think about all the priority draft picks we have been fu-ked over by. And not once have we bitched about it. And it has proberly effected us the most. We have never bottomed out, by finishing bottom and getting either the first or second draft pick then getting 3 or 4. our highest draft pick is 7, in the last 10 or so years. So pretty much with out father-son we would be pretty screwed. And yet that is luck. And yet the only highly rated father-son we have ahd in mark woulnough and Hawkins. Yet none of the others were highly rated.

Waaaa!
There's still a slight amount of soul left in the competition! Someone with a genuine attachment to a club is allowed to play there!

quick, kill it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back