Favourite all time Tiger player

Remove this Banner Ad

laurie fowler

for 1 game

Or even one moment, but what a moment. He was a really good and tough player Fowler, and if my memory serves went on to win at least one b&f at Melbourne.

Edit: Just checked and he won 3 x Bluey Truscott medals for the Demons, after leaving Richmond unhappy at being omitted from the 1974 premiership team. As an unmissable aside, the blue-tongue lizard in my profile photo is named Truscott after Keith "Bluey" Truscott. Truscott grudgingly allows me to live within his territory, and also barely tolerates the bush rat family who are the only other residents. He hates it when they steal his bananas.

Last edited:

I have huge respect for Dale Weightman. He was an out-and-out champion who was our only good player during the really dark days of the mid-late 80s - when we were really terrible and had zero hope. Whenever he played State footy, and was surrounded by other good players, everyone could see what a player he was.

A couple of injury-cursed players come to mind - Coughlan and Foley. If those boys had stayed fit, we would have had a midfield in the mid-2000s. To give you an idea, Martin won the Brownlow in his 8th season, age 26. Coughlan retired after his 9th season, age 27, having played a total of 50 games in the previous 6 years.
Marc Dragicevic always impressed me but kept doing his hammy.

Last edited:
Maurice Rioli for me. I was a gawping kid anyway, but I remember just standing in front of the telly, mouth and eyes wide open, unable to believe what Maurice did routinely.

The Ghost, Flea and Barry Rowlings (I wore 22) next, followed by a few years of cult hero big fellas - Scotty Turner, Benny Gale, Ottens, Greg Stafford.

Cogs broke my heart and I couldn't have a favourite for many years.

Then a spiritual leader with an outstanding mullet came along and we've never looked back.

Matthew Richardson
Matthew Knights
Joel Bowden
Mark Coughlan
Shane Edwards
Brett Deledio
Jacob Townsend

Dusty has grown on me a heap, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the early 70s I was in my early teens. Loved the excitement of the Bourke/Barret/Clay centreline. Loved Hart's marking. Loved the tough backline Sheeds McGhie. Loved the tough fwd line McLean & Balme. I used to have No 4 on my jumper but..if I had to say one player: Francis Bourke.

Love these threads - so hard to pick one, so I'll do it in the eras I watched/cried through!

late 80s early 90s - Hoggy, special mention to Michael Pickering and Steve Ryan
mid 90s to late 90s - Richo, Naishy, Daffy, Knights, Campbell, Maxfield, Buck Rodgers, Scotty Turner, Tony Free, Kellaways
late 90s early -2000s - Still Richo and co from above but add in Ottens (well in 2001 anyway), Paul Broderick, Gaspar
2002-2009 - Still Richo, Browny, Coughlan, (may have been a bit earlier but needs a mention), Foley, Tuck, Joel Bowden, Lids, Newy
2010 onwards - JR, Lids, Cotch, Dusty, Titch, Rance, Ivan, 2017 team obvs, Stacky, Balta (not a gun but love watching him!)

Top 5 all time to watch - not necessarily players (that I've seen) - Richo, Browny, JR, Lids, Dusty - apologies to so many!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back