Favourite all time Tiger player

Remove this Banner Ad

So many greats can’t pick one, could pick a dozen or more per decade , it’s like asking who’s your favourite kid (if both kids are good)

Clay, Barrot, Sheedy, Hart, Bartlett, Francis Bourke, Dean, Keane, Green, Whale Roberts, McGhie, Stewart, Michael Roach, Weightman, Maurice Rioli, Geoff Raines, Jess, Lee, Michael Pickering, Scotty Turner, Knights, Campbell, Mitchell, Matty Richardson, Reiwoldt, Cotchin, Martin all favourites and not all the best ever players.

What a great question and with the Yellow and Blacks amazing history, boy, its a tough one to hone down to.

As a Young kid, I always remember about hearing of an amazing Aussie called Bill Cosgrove, who only played a few games for the Tiges before going into World War 2 and becoming a fighter pilot. Wow...what do you say???? Even his plane was a dedication to the Tigers and Kack Dyer, who he adored. It had the inscription "eat em Alive" and a Tigers head on it. I was enthralled at this mans courage and bravery. He didn't make it back... what a Man. Vale Bill Cosgrove.

Then as a young bloke, Neville Crow. I absolutely loved him, the big No.5 and I even had the honour of telling him, that he was the reason for my very first fist fight at Catholic School with 2 Carlton supporters, who were denigrating him in front of me, after a picture of poor Nev leaving the tribunal for swiping at that Flog John Nicholls and missing that mug, was shown on the back of The Sun. He was of course teary, because it meant that he missed out on the 1967 Premiership. Vale Neville Crow. A true Gentlemen.

Then, a huge Sangroper, another Ruckman, captured my imagination. No 21, Big Neil Balme launched himself into Tiger Folklore in the 1973 Premiership. For the next 8-9 years, through under 16's and then Seniors, playing for the Fantastic Darley Football Club, I wore No.21. Even in our School League, it was no.21 for me!!! He was rough, tough and a very good player and Kick. I tried to emulate his deeds, but found out I wasn't Neil Balme...Ouchhhh!!!

As I got older and Balmy left, a young bloke from the North of Victoria, Swanhill, burst into the Tigers Team. Geoff Raines. No 4. ( Virtually ) What a complete player. Courage, Skill Balance, looks, basically everything I wanted to be...( But wasn't ) he had it and in spades....When he left the Tigers, not to sound to weird, but a part of me left too. ( Although hated him at Collingwood and Essendon funny enough :) )

Sorry for my rambling. I could rave on but I wont....its just that these few men influenced me as young Tiger and cemented my wonder at this iconic Football Club.
Love 'em...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In chronological order. Roger Dean, then Dick Clay. David Cloke, Bruce Tempany, The Flea. All eclipsed by Richo. In recent times Jumping Jack and Dusty. Sydney Stack is looking the goods for the next 10 years

In no particular order.

Merv Keane, Bryan Wood, Dale Weightman, Geoff Raines, Robert Wiley, Barry Rowlings, Francis Bourke, KB, Mark Lee, Michael Roach, Maurice Rioli, Michael Mitchell, Phil Egan, David Palm, Trevor Poole, John Annear, Peter Czerkaski, both Pickering's, Brian Leys, Chris Pym, Allan McKellar, Trent Nicholls, Jeff Hogg, Peter Wilson, Tony Free, Matthew Knights, Paul Broderick, Scott Turner, Paul Bullus, Jaime Tape, Matthew Rogers, Benny Gale, Michael Gale, Darren Gaspar, both Kellaway's.

From the current crop, Shane Edwards, Daniel Rioli, the real Trinity Josh Caddy, Dion Prestia and Toby Nankervis, Dylan Grimes, Nick Vlaustin, Jack Ross, Sydney Stack, and Noah Balta.

In no particular order.

Merv Keane, Bryan Wood, Dale Weightman, Geoff Raines, Robert Wiley, Barry Rowlings, Francis Bourke, KB, Mark Lee, Michael Roach, Maurice Rioli, Michael Mitchell, Phil Egan, David Palm, Trevor Poole, John Annear, Peter Czerkaski, both Pickering's, Brian Leys, Chris Pym, Allan McKellar, Trent Nicholls, Jeff Hogg, Peter Wilson, Tony Free, Matthew Knights, Paul Broderick, Scott Turner, Paul Bullus, Jaime Tape, Matthew Rogers, Benny Gale, Michael Gale, Darren Gaspar, both Kellaway's.

From the current crop, Shane Edwards, Daniel Rioli, the real Trinity Josh Caddy, Dion Prestia and Toby Nankervis, Dylan Grimes, Nick Vlaustin, Jack Ross, Sydney Stack, and Noah Balta.

John Annear!! Remember him having a stoush with coach Paul Sproule out at Waverley one day after being dragged, Used a few expletives after coming off, directed at Sproule who was sitting in the old coaches box. Said to my mate, 'Annear needs to get out of Tigerland, Sproule will be the end of him'. Great contributor in his time, JA.

Richardson
Weightman
Martin
Lee
Jess

Nice I’ll add Maurice Rioli and Kevin Bartlett.

If I lwas born in the 50’s ,I would definately say Royce Hart and Neil Balme.

Also Stewart and Barrot.

2017 dusty was a sight to behold. Changing direction to go towards tacklers just to don’t argue them. Was absolutely unbeatable one on one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back