Fine Wines

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond fans were debating between Wines and Vlastuin for a while. Unfortunately at least for Richmond, they didn't get the chance to choose between them. I like him a lot and he reminds me of Selwood, which is not bad for such a young kid.

He is gonna be really stiff to miss out on the rising star this year.

You'd probably take O'Meara over him for his potential BUT Wines is getting more touches from less game time and just has that presence already that makes him a more influential player. He hurts the opposition.

He looked every bit as good as a Watson or Kennedy in the last qtr where he racked up 16 touches and a goal and just bullied the Collingwood mids. With his vision and those tree trunk legs he is gonna be a good player for a long time.

6-7 would be the conservative estimate. All three are great prospects though. O'Meara is still the clear leader for me with Wines not far off.

I think the what set's JOM apart is that he is a "prettier" midfielder compared to Wines. JOM is like a Voss/Watson etc... whilst Wines is like a Mitchell/Hayes. All are great midfielders but play different styles.:thumbsu:

Wow peeps are getting ahead of themselfs just a tad. Wines reminds me of Rich when he first came along but he hasnt kicked on. You have to love players who jump up to the level quickly but some do fade away. Joe Danniher has had an average year at the top level but dont worry about what he does this year he is going to dominate for a decade.
There is some real good talent from the class of 2012 and I think it will go down as a super draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I've seen this year, O'Meara is still a clear leader (not really going out on a limb!!) My top 4 would be:

1. O'Meara
2. Mitchell
3. Vlastuin
4. Wines

He's only played the 4 games this season. One of those was an outstanding 31 disposal game against the Crows.

Bombers - 18 disposals
Crows - 31d
Power - 16d
Carlton - 20d

I think it is a bit too early to push him to 2nd based on 4 games with one being outstanding and the others so/so (compared to the others).

He's only played the 4 games this season. One of those was an outstanding 31 disposal game against the Crows.

Bombers - 18 disposals - 50% time on ground, 6 tackles.
Crows - 31d - 72% time on ground, 10 tackles.
Power - 16d - 80% time on ground, 7 tackles.
Carlton - 20d - 83% time on ground, 6 tackles.

I think it is a bit too early to push him to 2nd based on 4 games with one being outstanding and the others so/so (compared to the others).

So a guy who's already averaging 21 disposals, 7 tackles and a goal a game can't get a look in?

Pardon me for being Captain Obvious but Wines >>> Toumpas, now and forever.

Lol. Just lol.

Wines was always going to have more impact. No doubt he's been awesome, but now he needs to get a body that will sustain 10 years of footy.

Toumpas is smaller, and coming off a few hip ops, been much better in recent weeks.

Bombers - 18 disposals
Crows - 31d
Power - 16d
Carlton - 20d

Swans supporters have blown their load early. He may well be awesome, but Wines>>>>Mitchell on exposed form. Christ Jordan Gysberts got 30 something disposals and a RS nom on debut against Geelong.

Agree with the posters saying it should be a ripper draft.

Dees managed to score Kent, Clisby and Terlich late - all of them look pretty decent. Hogan, Viney and Toumpas have good pedigree too.

But the sheer amount of guys from this draft year (so I'm including O'Meara and Crouch) who look ready to go at senior level is pretty impressive. Even Hogan looks ready to jump into AFL footy already.

Bombers - 18 disposals
Crows - 31d
Power - 16d
Carlton - 20d

Nah, but Mitchell was a really good Dream Team downgrade and that's the important thing.

Yeah Rich did come on early because he had a big body and a good kick but Wines has a much more rounded game. Take the big body out of the equation and they are very different players.

FWIW I'd love for Rich to be at Port as well so in no way shape or form am I having a go at Rich.

EDIT: I think that the people that are making too much of his size haven't seen too many of his games.

Rich isn't the accumulator Wines is.

Wines is more similar to a young Brock McLean (people forget how awesome he was early on in his career) or even Dustin Martin.

Gets the ball, tackles and hits hard, and has a great sense of the "moment" i.e. he kicks those game changing goals and stands up when the game is there to be won.

Even when we were one of the best teams in the comp, we never really had a star onballer - KPPs were our strength. Nice to have at least a couple coming through, regardless of the external recognition that they may or may not get at the end of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back