First whisper of good news on Tippett

Remove this Banner Ad

Jenny wasn't even the first person to mention the possibility on this board. I've read the implication in several posts over the last week or so.

Which thread?

The only time I have heard it mentioned was in a joking manner when a poster compared Stiffy's role to Torney in 2007... Some comments were then made about Stiffy getting the boot at the end of the year despite good form (a la Torney).

Which thread?

The only time I have heard it mentioned was in a joking manner when a poster compared Stiffy's role to Torney in 2007... Some comments were then made about Stiffy getting the boot at the end of the year despite good form (a la Torney).
That sounds like the one I was thinking of..

Which thread?

I can't remember which threads either, but it was more than one. Is the only reason I mentioned it in the hypothetical question about the salary cap. I love me some Stiffy so I certainly won't be suggesting he retire any time soon! :p

I can't remember which threads either, but it was more than one. Is the only reason I mentioned it in the hypothetical question about the salary cap. I love me some Stiffy so I certainly won't be suggesting he retire any time soon! :p

2007 was a totally different era. We had a group of 28+ year olds that were coming up to retirement or being on the fringe of our list that we needed to cull to stop a major drop off in team performance in years to come. That came anyway in 10/11 :p

This time we have a fairly youthful squad with a lot of competition for spots. Isn't Dogga the only 30+ on our list? This means there shouldn't be the need for any hasty decisions like this, especially when stiffy is concerned. Stiffy may not have the 30 poss games anymore but he will be just as damaging with 15 poss and a couple of goals up forward.

We will have a stiffy in that side for a few more years to come :p

In regards to the Tippett trade clause I seem to remember an article on the AFL website where Adrian Anderson stated that such a clause did not and could not exist because the AFL which ratifies all player contracts would deem such a clause as draft tampering. I can't find the article myself so can anyone confirm or deny this?

I can't see how it could be considered draft tampering, as the Crows/Tip would be required to come to an agreement with a 3rd party before he nominated for the PSD.

Maybe Adrian Anderson is as good a lawyer as he is a footy administrator.

Didn't Trigg come out at some point last season and say this clause didn't exist? I realise that is what he would say even if it did exist, but at this point we can either believe the CEO of the AFC, or the speculations of a hack journalist.

I reckon she has got wind Tip is staying, and is now backtracking and covering herself in regard to this clause that she made up.

There is a clause. This was John Reid's parting gift to the club. The fact is Tippett was almost a certainty to go back to Gold Coast or Brisbane. His manager was advising him to leave while his value was starting to peak, but Tippett wanted to stay.

The clause was formulated by Tippo's manager to ensure that any future trade would not be held up by us holding out for a better deal. Apparently this is the only basis that we could seal his signature on as his manager was set on him leaving for big$.

Yes it was strange, but the alternative was no Tippett who the club viewed and still does, as a key to our success. I don't really think there was an option and Reidy was on a mission to ensure Tippo didn't leave. Clearly it worked and looks positive for him to re-sign again.

There is a clause. This was John Reid's parting gift to the club. The fact is Tippett was almost a certainty to go back to Gold Coast or Brisbane. His manager was advising him to leave while his value was starting to peak, but Tippett wanted to stay.

The clause was formulated by Tippo's manager to ensure that any future trade would not be held up by us holding out for a better deal. Apparently this is the only basis that we could seal his signature on as his manager was set on him leaving for big$.

Yes it was strange, but the alternative was no Tippett who the club viewed and still does, as a key to our success. I don't really think there was an option and Reidy was on a mission to ensure Tippo didn't leave. Clearly it worked and looks positive for him to re-sign again.

The AFL have publicly stated that they would not approve such a clause in a player contract. As they have to approve all contracts anybody saying that it is in there is mistaken or full of it.

I can't see how it could be considered draft tampering, as the Crows/Tip would be required to come to an agreement with a 3rd party before he nominated for the PSD.

Maybe Adrian Anderson is as good a lawyer as he is a footy administrator.

'Draft tampering' is just referring to circumventing the measures that the AFL has in place to try and even the playing field.

If it were allowed then it would be a virtual (unrestricted) free agency. Every player could have it written into each contract that at the end of said contract, the club agrees to trade them to a club of their choice for X draft pick.

The AFL have publicly stated that they would not approve such a clause in a player contract. As they have to approve all contracts anybody saying that it is in there is mistaken or full of it.

But, but, but Caro said it! It must be true!

Guess I'm full of it then...in your view. I know what I've been told and whilst not sure of the exact clause, there was definitely a method that would make it easy for Tip if he decided to go.

Amazing what you hear when your ears are open at a best and fairest when it was announced that Tip had re-signed....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guess I'm full of it then...in your view. I know what I've been told and whilst not sure of the exact clause, there was definitely a method that would make it easy for Tip if he decided to go.

Amazing what you hear when your ears are open at a best and fairest when it was announced that Tip had re-signed....

Chinese whispers or a statement from the AFL.

Which do you think is more reliable?

I think there is something to the story, otherwise we would have flat out rubbished the reports. Even when the rumours came out and Tippett was moved to post a video response, he only said that he would honor the current deal. Never denied he had an out clause- which is what the fuss was about.

Ive always said I dont think its a big deal anyway, because if he was out of contract and wanted to go home, he'd get there. Just like Jarman, Judd, Thompson, Bassett, Stenglien, N.Stevens, Headland, etc, etc, etc.

Provide a link to prove this, please.

Only had a quick search but could not find much..

FWIW I dont think a clause exists..

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...t-to-be-revealed/story-e6frecoc-1226168012958

It is repeatedly said there is an "exit clause" declaring he must be traded to the Gold Coast. Trigg denies this. The AFL argues this is contrary to its rules, in particular that of draft tampering.

But there can be "special conditions" added to a contract. And here, without contravening AFL rules, the Crows may have accepted a clause saying Tippett's agreed value at the trade table next year would be second and third-round draft picks.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...t-to-be-revealed/story-e6frecoc-1226168012958

It is repeatedly said there is an "exit clause" declaring he must be traded to the Gold Coast. Trigg denies this. The AFL argues this is contrary to its rules, in particular that of draft tampering.

Which is why it would have been rejected.

But there can be "special conditions" added to a contract. And here, without contravening AFL rules, the Crows may have accepted a clause saying Tippett's agreed value at the trade table next year would be second and third-round draft picks.

Even if we buy into this and say that this 'special condition' exists, it doesn't specify a trade to a particular team and would only set the bar for the minimum we would be obligated to accept.

Given that every team and their dogs would offer us more than that for Tippett it would make absolutely no difference to the situation if he requested a trade without this alleged clause.

We would still be free to entertain offers from any team willing to pay above that rate (read everybody).

Which is why it would have been rejected.

Even if we buy into this and say that this 'special condition' exists, it doesn't specify a trade to a particular team and would only set the bar for the minimum we would be obligated to accept.

Given that every team and their dogs would offer us more than that for Tippett it would make absolutely no difference to the situation if he requested a trade without this alleged clause.

We would still be free to entertain offers from any team willing to pay above that rate (read everybody).

Agree 100% with both points..

The only clause may be a fluff piece saying that the AFC will try its best to work a deal with your prefered club. This is something the AFC has always done anyway...Stenglein, Gunston......

The Advertiser claims Tippett said hes waiting on a contract from the Crows. Dare say we were waiting for the Danger deal to go through to see what we have left.

The Advertiser claims Tippett said hes waiting on a contract from the Crows. Dare say we were waiting for the Danger deal to go through to see what we have left.

The Tippett contract is going to be a very complexed one...

His manager will be saying Kurts considering staying.... Make us an offer

The Crows will be thinking "great, but you are going to cop a significant pay cut".

Contracts will stall.... It is going to be a lenghty process.

Kurt simply isnt worth what Kurt was in 2009...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back