Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I will be Honest i did call him a Stellar Clone.I was very harsh on him. I think it will take time like all Young Rucks,KPP,
may be 2 Seasons.I think a lot of people myself included, thought he would be the Answer, to show what he is caple of doing
at Jnr level and do it in the Highest level.
The same will happen if we pick up Tilthorpe it will take time
The best bit about it is we have plenty of time. If we were contenders there would probably be justified calls for him to be dropped. But we suck and have to face the fact it’s not an 18 year old first year KPP fault we suck. He can’t be hidden in the s**t show we are like other first rounders in other teams and years gone by. This is a baptism of fire. No SANFL side/bogus practice matches aren’t helping either but that’s another argument.

He'll be fine. People need to chill on McAsey a bit.
A bit? I think there needs to be a whole lot of chilling on him done.

Had he been a pick in the late first round, 20s or even 30s there would be more slack given.

He was pick 6, our highest ever draft pick.
We wasted pick 6 on him.
He may well not make it and you may be right that, in hindsight, we wasted pick 6 on him. But how on earth can you state with any certainty that he won’t be good. As folks have pointed out previously, Weitering (a number 1 pick) looked utterly out of his depth for a couple of years. But he is now playing great football and likely to earn his first AA this year. Half of this board had Himmelberg dropped and never to be played again only 2-3 weeks ago and he is now our number 1 forward prospect - which doesn’t take much admittedly, but still...

The kids played a handful of games in a truly substandard team. It’s a baptism of fire. Cut him some god damn slack.

Last edited:
Had he been a pick in the late first round, 20s or even 30s there would be more slack given.

We wasted pick 6 on him.
You realise this is a long haul? We aren't magically going to get better overnight. This isn't a wasted pick it's the ******* start of a rebuild. I'd actually like to see Stephens/Ash/Serong in our team at the minute to see if they would be showing as much as what they are at their respective teams. I genuinely believe we are a shamble and therefore everyone and everything looks bad.

The recruiting team will have looked ahead and seen there probably isn't the KPP in this draft (possibly next not sure about next year's crop of talent) that stands out. Take the best one last year then move onto the midfield then again fill spots with best available talent.

This re-build isn't a one/two year plan. We are unfortunately in for a long time of high draft picks so by the end of the year when we have pick 1 (and hopefully 2 as a gift instead of priority) we will have a higher pick than pick 6.

We are going to be battling North for pick 1 next year we need to get 2-3 years of high end talent and then use picks/players to bring in experience and a climb back up the ladder.

It's like we expect skinny kids to come in and play KPD wonderfully straight up.

It very rarely happens.
This is true.
Personally didnt think his game was that bad, he got exposed one on one s few times and got pushed aside. He is 19. And the bad kick attempting to switch.

But I still say he looks a better forward.

Even though he got outbodied, as he should being a kid, he still hunted the ball well. He has great hands.

I realise in the modern game that is an asset for a defender.

But it also a great trait in a forward.

Maybe his kicking suggests defender. Although defenders who gave great marking hands need to be good by foot.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

This is true.
Personally didnt think his game was that bad, he got exposed one on one s few times and got pushed aside. He is 19. And the bad kick attempting to switch.

But I still say he looks a better forward.

Even though he got outbodied, as he should being a kid, he still hunted the ball well. He has great hands.

I realise in the modern game that is an asset for a defender.

But it also a great trait in a forward.

Maybe his kicking suggests defender. Although defenders who gave great marking hands need to be good by foot.

Nicks made it very clear last week that the intention going forward for Fisher is for him to swing between back and forward as required.

Personally I think he’s a natural forward but that’s just me.

He’s shown plenty in his first year so any early calls on him are pretty ridiculous.

I’m happy to engage with argument on whether it was correct to trade back from 4 to then pick up a KPP with such a high pick when our midfield is a disaster.

But I’m not engaging on the kids talent or potential at this point in time.

Nicks made it very clear last week that the intention going forward for Fisher is for him to swing between back and forward as required.

He’s shown plenty in his first year so any early calls on him are pretty ridiculous.

I’m happy to engage with argument on whether it was correct to trade back from 4 to then pick up a KPP with such a high pick when our midfield is a disaster.

Other than Serong, who's another midget which we have enough of, there wasn't a decent midfielder available. Ash might have been worth a look as a HBF but I'm comfortable with ours.

I wouldn't have picked Stephens at 4 either.

McAsey will be fine, and when we have an aging Talia and a garbage Hartigan we needed a gun KPF. It'll be a steep learning curve.

Other than Serong, who's another midget which we have enough of, there wasn't a decent midfielder available. Ash might have been worth a look as a HBF but I'm comfortable with ours.

I wouldn't have picked Stephens at 4 either.

McAsey will be fine, and when we have an aging Talia and a garbage Hartigan we needed a gun KPF. It'll be a steep learning curve.
Too early to make a call on Chayce or Ned but early enough to make a call on 2019 mids?

Fisher may well turn into a good player, I’m not questioning ability - I’m not sure he was what we needed at such a high pick.

Too early to make a call on Chayce or Ned but early enough to make a call on 2019 mids?

Fisher may well turn into a good player, I’m not questioning ability - I’m not sure he was what we needed at such a high pick.
There just wasn't any available after Rowell and Anderson. Serong I liked but I could see this board hating a decision to draft a 170 odd cm mid.

Certainly too early to call but none stood out like the 2018 crop did.

I think we needed to pick McAsey, but we have so many holes we could've picked anyone.

It's why I can see people's reluctance to take Thilthorpe with pick 1. I'd still do it, but you rightly suggest we need midfielders. We are likely to lose our "best" one at years end too. If Berg keeps lifting like he has the last 3 weeks it makes the decision even trickier.

We wasted pick 6 on him.
Not wasted at all.An 18 yo with a handful of games playing in an under fire defense. Yes he made some mistakes, mainly disposal but he done quite a few vg things. Tex's turnovers were very costly as well from a near 200 game veteran. I believe Fish will become one of our great players given time and he does not need some of the criticism he gets here.

This draft better be about the midfield.

Not his fault he was picked at 6 but that's life, you will be judged by your circumstances rightly or wrongly. At the moment you'd be wanting your time again. Whilst not expecting elite status immediately you'd like to be able to name at least one game he has been good in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't like swing idea for McAsey right now. Just let the kid settle somewhere for the next two years.

He may well not make it and you may be right that, in hindsight, we wasted pick 6 on him. But how on earth can you state with any certainty that he won’t be good. As folks have pointed out previously, Weitering (a number 1 pick) looked utterly out of his depth for a couple of years. But he is now playing great football and likely to earn his first AA this year. Half of this board had Himmelberg dropped and never to be played again only 2-3 weeks ago and he is now our number 1 forward - which doesn’t take much admittedly, but still...

The kids played a handful of games in a truly substandard team. It’s a baptism of fire. Cut him some god damn slack.
I agree, but let's hold back on the "Himmelberg is our number one forward" business after one game!

My two cents is that it's impossible to decipher at this early stage whether McAsey is heading down the (A) 'wasted high draft pick' or (B) 'perfectly natural trajectory for a first year KPP in a historically bad team who'll make it eventually' path.

What I think is positive is that at least we're playing him and so we are accelerating our ability to make the call on A or B as early as possible and respond as necessary. Part of our problem with previous draft picks (see Gallucci) is that we've just not given them the opportunity so even after multiple seasons on the list we don't truly know where they sit and then we make bad decisions.

Is a natural talent who just needs to bulk up and do a few more pre-seasons, then will be a fantastic swingman for whichever Victorian club he decides to walk out on us for the second his contract is up.

He's played 9 games, and played a different role every week. We picked a key forward/backman. He was never supposed to just slot in round 1 and be a gun like Rowell. Bigs don't do that.
By round 11 last year, Max King hadn't debuted yet and Ben King had played 3 games for 1 goal.
Even 9 games into his career, Ben had only kicked 6 goals (and averaged 7 touches).
Jack Lukosius averaged 7.8 touches per game in his first 9 games and had kicked 2 goals.
Luke Jackson averages 8.7 touches per game and has kicked 3 goals (2 against us).
Like, if we pick Thilthorpe, he's not going to come in and kick 50 goals in year 1. That doesn't happen. I'd rather pick a mid, though.
This isn't like McHenry, where he's an undersized mid/forward with no discernible strengths, McAsey shows genuine signs. He's just super raw and underdeveloped for the role he's playing. It also doesn't help that his role changes every week. We need to pick what role we want him to play, and stick him in it for the rest of the year.

It's more his decision making, seems like a dumb player.

I wouldve said the decisions were ok the execution has been poor. The kick was a good option if he hit it.
The handball was intended to get outside towards boundary and he shanked it probably due to being young and lacking strength.

While they were two shocking clangers i think execution was more the problem.

I agree, but let's hold back on the "Himmelberg is our number one forward" business after one game!
Sorry, that should have read “number one forward prospect”... and I was just using using hyperbole to make the point that things can change pretty quickly. McAsey struggled last night and it might just be because he’s not very good and never will be, but it could also be because he’s an 18 year old playing a key position in a pretty terrible side.

I wonder how many of us in this thread will come back and say how we shouldn't overpay for him ala Lever at the end of next season.
He's a KPD not a 3rd tall.

He may well not make it and you may be right that, in hindsight, we wasted pick 6 on him. But how on earth can you state with any certainty that he won’t be good. As folks have pointed out previously, Weitering (a number 1 pick) looked utterly out of his depth for a couple of years. But he is now playing great football and likely to earn his first AA this year. Half of this board had Himmelberg dropped and never to be played again only 2-3 weeks ago and he is now our number 1 forward prospect - which doesn’t take much admittedly, but still...

Wait what?

I agree with you it's too early to call this guy. But you're wrong about Weitering; He was pretty good from the start. He had a down patch when Carlton threw him forward but that's different, that is juts them mismanaging player development.

Back