Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Butts has looked a lot better than MCAsey . He’s skinny but just knows how to use his body. I’m liking Butts , he will be good
I think a couple extra preseasons is helping there. I like Butts too but fish doesn't have a problem with body work. He needs to build his strength and then he'll be right. His lack of speed is a definite weakness though

I think a couple extra preseasons is helping there. I like Butts too but fish doesn't have a problem with body work. He needs to build his strength and then he'll be right. His lack of speed is a definite weakness though
Butts has only had 1 extra preseason . MCAsey drafted 2019 and Butts 2018. MCAsey is flat footed in his running style and will never get quicker . Poor drafting . You only need to watch the way Georgiadis moves versus MCAsey and you know Georgiadis is better. These recruiters watch these guys a lot and all it took me is 10 mins to make a call on who I’d rather pick . A McGregor clone is not what I want from a pick 6 . If he were a Bock Clone then I’d be happy. I want a running tall defender not just a stopper .

Butts has only had 1 extra preseason . MCAsey drafted 2019 and Butts 2018. MCAsey is flat footed in his running style and will never get quicker . Poor drafting . You only need to watch the way Georgiadis moves versus MCAsey and you know Georgiadis is better. These recruiters watch these guys a lot and all it took me is 10 mins to make a call on who I’d rather pick . A McGregor clone is not what I want from a pick 6 . If he were a Bock Clone then I’d be happy. I want a running tall defender not just a stopper .
Butts also drafted after a year playing for shepparton bears so woulda had 2 extra preseasons. Weird comparison of players. Thinking about players as clones is flawed. They are different. Instead focus on their key attributes.

Agree that mcasey is slow but with more experience and strength he'll get found out less. His strength is contested marking which will be very handy for us.

Not just pick 6 but whatever pick we got from GWS 1st rounder this year......McAsey is actually an intercepting defender who can play on his man, also very good decision maker who make aggressive kicks out of defense.

Butts also drafted after a year playing for shepparton bears so woulda had 2 extra preseasons. Weird comparison of players. Thinking about players as clones is flawed. They are different. Instead focus on their key attributes.

Agree that mcasey is slow but with more experience and strength he'll get found out less. His strength is contested marking which will be very handy for us.
Actually Jotdan Butts played 15 games for the Murray Bushrangers in 2018 as an over ager and only went back to the Bears for the Finals.

I agree McAsey was a bad pick. Nothing against him and he may be a good player but he wasn't what we needed. Tbh I don't think he will stick around which may solve the problem but hopefully we get compensated accordingly. My worry is that Nick's mentioned McAsey Himmelberg and Fogarty as our forwards moving forward next year which may determine that we don't take McDonald in this year's draft. I wouldn't be relying on any of these 3 forwards moving forward as likely only one of them will succeed and possibly none of them. Still think we must take McDonald if we have the opportunity in the draft. He is the best available and we lack a genuine match winning tall.

T
Not just pick 6 but whatever pick we got from GWS 1st rounder this year......McAsey is actually an intercepting defender who can play on his man, also very good decision maker who make aggressive kicks out of defense.
That was in under 18s were his size was too his advantage . He doesn’t have that size Advantage in AFL now and I’ve seen none of what you mention . A skinnier version in Lever was doing exactly that in his first season with us .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably wouldn't be the worst idea to have a honest conversation with Fish about putting the cue in the rack for the rest of the season to concentrate on his physical development.

He's played 10 games both forward and back which is a great taste of AFL footy as a rookie KPP, but give the kid the next 2 months with a heavy weights room focus to get his core strength a bit closer to where it needs to be by week 1 next season. Surely even he would have figured out that he's probably 5-10kg light for the position's he wants to play, and this way he can have a head start at reaching his physical targets by next season without losing any confidence.

Plus I think Butts has earned this final stretch of games to get his look.

T

That was in under 18s were his size was too his advantage . He doesn’t have that size Advantage in AFL now and I’ve seen none of what you mention . A skinnier version in Lever was doing exactly that in his first season with us .

Also unlike Lever, McAsey has had an opponent since day 1...

Been a baptism of fire for Fish, but he's done alright.

Any other year in the crows history McAsey would not be playing AFL this year. His performance now does not reflect his future performance, give him 3-4 years I think.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app
1000%...the kid is still developing his frame and is having to play on the big boys down back and then cop the big boys when thrown up forward. If anything the best part about this year from his development perspective is that it will have given McAsey a very good look at the level he will need to be at in the coming seasons. No way am I going to judge him on it..just looking for good signs in amongst the play

All we need now is Marty & Vader to rubbish Z, and we can be sure of his success.

Think we need Rabbit to weigh in too. The kiss of death he gave Matty Crouch really pushed him to the AA (tbh I wish he'd go back to hating on the crouches, they might start playing better if he did).

T

1)Lever was bought into a strong side so had that support
2)Lever was quickly acknowledged as one of the best up and coming defenders of that time which culminated in Melbourne giving us a great return at the trade table for him
3)Being able to do the same thing as Lever while being physically bigger should be considered a huge advantage is Levers achilles heel was his inability to handle being isolated 1 on 1.

T

Disagree, we drafted him to replace Talia but has better and creative disposal by foot and intercept marker, Talia is better one on one defending which McAsey will be learning from the best of them.

Any other year in the crows history McAsey would not be playing AFL this year. His performance now does not reflect his future performance, give him 3-4 years I think.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty much, and probably the example is Weitering for a player who looked like he was struggling 2 years back into being a very solid KPD now.

The question will always be did we need to spend so high on a KPD? That said getting to a similar level defensively as Talia and offering more offensive production will make it a very worthwhile choice (even before factoring we got another 1st out of it).

I agree McAsey was a bad pick. Nothing against him and he may be a good player but he wasn't what we needed. Tbh I don't think he will stick around which may solve the problem but hopefully we get compensated accordingly. My worry is that Nick's mentioned McAsey Himmelberg and Fogarty as our forwards moving forward next year which may determine that we don't take McDonald in this year's draft. I wouldn't be relying on any of these 3 forwards moving forward as likely only one of them will succeed and possibly none of them. Still think we must take McDonald if we have the opportunity in the draft. He is the best available and we lack a genuine match winning tall.
I actually like that

Himmelberg has shown promise close to goal
Fogarty goes missing, but you cant have 2 players playing that role. Take one of Fog or Tex out of our current team and the other will play better. They're cannibalising each other up there.
And McAsey will end up good at either end of the field once he puts on some weight. The only reason id play him up forward is to allow him to be dictating where he goes and get in a good position to avoid being outmuscled. in about 2022-23 he'll be a great defender. But if we leave him up there before he's ready he'll be knocked around and destroyed mentalling like Jack Watts.

Back