Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I was curious to what he was doing after football.

Found this

good to see he found a way to sort himself out.

I've seen enough people benefit from meditation, mindfulness techniques and controlled breathing to know that they are real things that can be very beneficial to people. But this just looks like a bunch of fit guys in their 20s pretending to know anything at all about wellbeing.

Frankly, of all the people I'd want telling me how to manage my mental health, Fischer McAsey would have to be near the bottom of the list. Really? The supremely talented, naturally physically gifted young man who had the red carpet rolled out for him at AFL level, had giant salaries and support teams thrown his way, but struggled to handle the pressure and commitment to the point where he just gave it all away and left? That's the guy I'm going to listen to for advice on wellbeing?

Perhaps he's the cautionary tale.

I've seen enough people benefit from meditation, mindfulness techniques and controlled breathing to know that they are real things that can be very beneficial to people. But this just looks like a bunch of fit guys in their 20s pretending to know anything at all about wellbeing.

Frankly, of all the people I'd want telling me how to manage my mental health, Fischer McAsey would have to be near the bottom of the list. Really? The supremely talented, naturally physically gifted young man who had the red carpet rolled out for him at AFL level, had giant salaries and support teams thrown his way, but struggled to handle the pressure and commitment to the point where he just gave it all away and left? That's the guy I'm going to listen to for advice on wellbeing?
You are judging someone on a superficial level. Mental illness can hit anyone from any job/field, and plenty of footballers have come out and told their stories, and some unfortunately have attempted or completed suicide.

His early retirement and working in the mental health arena, supports the notion that he suffered mental health and just wanted to give the sport away for the betterment of his sanity. From a personal experience and plenty of others I’ve talked to, your life views and ambitions tend to change once going through a phase of mental illness. Some gets mentally stronger and be better at what they do, some change their course of life, some unfortunately, wither and crumble.

You are judging someone on a superficial level. Mental illness can hit anyone from any job/field, and plenty of footballers have come out and told their stories, and some unfortunately have attempted or completed suicide.

His early retirement and working in the mental health arena, supports the notion that he suffered mental health and just wanted to give the sport away for the betterment of his sanity. From a personal experience and plenty of others I’ve talked to, your life views and ambitions tend to change once going through a phase of mental illness. Some gets mentally stronger and be better at what they do, some change their course of life, some unfortunately, wither and crumble.

Believe me, I am intimately familiar with the impact of mental illness. I support several people close to me who suffer from poor mental health. I've got no doubt that it played a massive role in causing McAsey to end his career early.

But generally, if someone is going to stand on a stage to explain techniques to others for managing mental illness, you would surely expect they have a story of being able to overcome those challenges in their own lives.

Just looking at the other people on that website, James Hartson claims the breathwork technique helped his performance on the court. Charlie Furphy claims it has helped him to achieve his academic goals while balancing sport and life. What did it help McAsey to do?

Did you lift that from a school project somewhere?

See above. I’m not sure what this reductive cliche of a public service announcement was intended to achieve other than to allow you to talk about you? Again.

Yes it’s an important topic, but this is so basic I’m not sure (genuinely) why you felt the need to scrawl something that ought to have appeared in comic sans script

Believe me, I am intimately familiar with the impact of mental illness. I support several people close to me who suffer from poor mental health. I've got no doubt that it played a massive role in causing McAsey to end his career early.

But generally, if someone is going to stand on a stage to explain techniques to others for managing mental illness, you would surely expect they have a story of being able to overcome those challenges in their own lives.

Just looking at the other people on that website, James Hartson claims the breathwork technique helped his performance on the court. Charlie Furphy claims it has helped him to achieve his academic goals while balancing sport and life. What did it help McAsey to do?

Exactly.

In the nicest possible way, you’d like the person leading your weight watchers class to have won their battle and not sit their eating cake throughout

It would be different if he were just telling his story, not all stories have a happy ending, but maybe I don’t want to be sold a solution from someone who hasn’t overcome?

Would there be any difference to claiming that it helped his performance on court, to claiming it helped you cope with stress during a football career?

James Hartson played number 6 in his college team, and won 3 and lost 7 matches. The next season he changed schools, and his bio still says his "ambition is to be o professional tennis player still in 10 years time". He then tried to go pro, and finished with a 4-12 record on the Futures tour, and then started a "breathwork" business with his school friends instead.
He did win the Sunraysia tournament and the Euroa Easter Open this year.

Could you possibly make that sound like a promising athlete who gave up too??
I know nothing about James Hartson, and I don't know enough about professional tennis to know whether that is a disappointing record or not. But at least he made an effort to present himself as a success in his bio. McAsey just said he used breathwork to handle the stresses of being a professional athlete. Okay, fine, but then the stress got so much that you just stopped being one.

Look, the last thing I want to do is demonise someone for suffering from poor mental health. Maybe my impressions of this group are wrong, and they are providing real value to people with their seminars. I just struggle to see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know nothing about James Hartson, and I don't know enough about professional tennis to know whether that is a disappointing record or not. But at least he made an effort to present himself as a success in his bio. McAsey just said he used breathwork to handle the stresses of being a professional athlete. Okay, fine, but then the stress got so much that you just stopped being one.

Look, the last thing I want to do is demonise someone for suffering from poor mental health. Maybe my impressions of this group are wrong, and they are providing real value to people with their seminars. I just struggle to see it.
I just thought that it was strange to set up 2 as being successful, although that's absolutely how they write it themselves as you've said. Like reading someone's CV.

The whole story about resetting and healing your nervous system has me cringing most of all...

Maybe people are helped by them, and good luck if they are, but it seems like familiar bullshit doesn't it?

You’re one of the very people on here I have no doubt come on for a good discussion and I respect your thoughts. Though I think there is some underlying misconception with your last paragraph.

That is, giving up on footy doesn’t mean you’re giving up on life. In fact, giving up in general isn’t always a sign of weakness. It may also be a necessary solution and to contemplate a new phase in life. Think of mental illness is like a physical injury, some can recover and play on, some can’t and need to pick a new hobby.

That is, giving up on footy doesn’t mean you’re giving up on life. In fact, giving up in general isn’t always a sign of weakness. It may also be a necessary solution and to contemplate a new phase in life. Think of mental illness is like a physical injury, some can recover and play on, some can’t and need to pick a new hobby.
Absolutely. But this group doesn't have a bunch of random people talking about their experiences, finding new meaning in life and so on. It has a bunch of sportsmen, talking about their experiences coping with mental illness while participating in professional sports.

If I'm in that audience and I'm struggling with mental illness, I'm looking at someone like Fischer McAsey and thinking "this guy was born with more talent, athleticism, etc than me and he couldn't make it work. What hope do I have?"

Absolutely. But this group doesn't have a bunch of random people talking about their experiences, finding new meaning in life and so on. It has a bunch of sportsmen, talking about their experiences coping with mental illness while participating in professional sports.

If I'm in that audience and I'm struggling with mental illness, I'm looking at someone like Fischer McAsey and thinking "this guy was born with more talent, athleticism, etc than me and he couldn't make it work. What hope do I have?"
There’s a separate issue with mental resilience and how well you fit in your line of work. By and large, if you accept your mental fragility and open up to talk about it to others, that’s usually a sign of mental resilience and a willingness to help others.

Fish quitting footy and seeking other life avenues is really no different to that of anyone else quitting their first job and seeking a second one, or bored of their first hobby and seeking another venture. This is just someone discovering their deep inner desires and their authentic self, which isn’t the same as mental resilience.

Gave him the strength to send the text message to his manager to tell the club he is quitting...

Yes, that is how he did it.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's $hit trucks of money in that space, not all is well spent.

You’re one of the very people on here I have no doubt come on for a good discussion and I respect your thoughts. Though I think there is some underlying misconception with your last paragraph.

Just trying to recall your credentials. Were you a GP or a workers comp claims assessor? It was one of thise from memory.

Back