Coaching Staff Former Coach Ben "Truck" Rutten - Sacked for real this time - 21/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Starting to get an almost forgotten yet familiar feeling going into a quarter time or half time break when the game isn't quite going our way. That feeling is trust and confidence that our coaching staff will address areas that need addressing and the players will respond. Something I haven't felt since the good old Sheedy days.

It won't always end in a win like it did today but to know we are going to be in games more often than not, even when things don't start our way is such a bloody good feeling. Well done to all the coaches this year :clapping:

One thing that has occurred to me, mainly because of all of the talk surrounding the aborted Clarkson and Mitchell handover, is that it is far from clear that the Worsfold to Rutten handover was the failure it has been assumed to be for the reasons generally given.

No doubt the handover had it's problems but it was not about 2020, by definition, it was about Rutten's tenure. If we we're still trying to build something around key players who don't want to play, were struggling with buy-in and tensions between senior players and the younger players, which we would have been (because the promise of change in 12 months did nothing to change attitudes), it's the sort of thing that could have ruined a new coach before he started.

A first season disaster for a club that is desperate for success, incapable of any form of consistent messaging, would have heaped pressure on Rutten and could have undermined his authority. It's much easier to come in once we've bottomed out than what it would have been to have taken us to the bottom when we were supposed to be playing finals.

It's hardly something that should be looked back at as a planning masterstroke but I think we have to accept the likelihood that this may have been the only way to get to August 2021 with things looking as good as they do. That's not to say Rutten could not have had a good 2022 in the alternative scenario or that he would not have worked but the handover will likely prove to been a blessing in disguise.

Contrast with what Mitchell is now faced with. A side that will probably win its last 4 games going in to 2022 with a head of steam, looking poised to carry out the unlikeliest of rebuilds, but that comes with pressure (there would not otherwise have been). I happen to think Hawthorn's list and Mitchell will be good enough but they are exposed at a crucial point of the rebuild.

Last edited:
One thing that has occurred to me, mainly because of all of the talk surrounding the aborted Clarkson and Mitchell handover, is that it is far from clear that the Worsfold to Rutten handover was the failure it has been assumed to be for the reasons generally given.

No doubt the handover had it's problems but it was not about 2020, by definition, it was about Rutten's tenure. If we we're still trying to build something around key players who don't want to play, were struggling with buy-in and tensions between senior players and the younger players, which we would have been (because the promise of change in 12 months did nothing to change attitudes), it's the sort of thing that could have ruined a new coach before he started.

A first season disaster for a club that is desperate for success, incapable of any form of consistent messaging, would have heaped pressure on Rutten and could have undermined his authority. It's much easier to come in once we've bottomed out than what it would have been to have taken us to the bottom when we were supposed to be playing finals.

It's hardly something that should be looked back at as a planning masterstroke but I think we have to accept the likelihood that this may have been the only way to get to August 2021 with things looking as good as they do. That's not to say Rutten could not have had a good 2022 in the alternative scenario or that he would not have worked but the handover will likely prove to be a blessing in disguise.

Contrast with what Mitchell is now faced with. A side that will probably win its last 4 games going in to 2022 with a head of steam, looking poised to carry of the unlikeliest of rebuilds, but that comes with pressure (there would not otherwise have been). I happen to think Hawthorn list and Mitchell will be good enough but they are exposed at a crucial point of the rebuild.

Shock horror that something in the AFL wasn't as bad as what people thought in both the Hawks scenario and our coaching handover.

The best thing we did is surround him with excellent assistants. Going after the literal assistant of the year (Gia) and also Caracella was an awesome move. They're all also young in a coaching sense so they're more connected with the modern game from a players perspective than someone like Lyon/Worsfold etc.

It's hardly something that should be looked back at as a planning masterstroke but I think we have to accept the likelihood that this may have been the only way to get to August 2021 with things looking as good as they do. That's not to say Rutten could not have had a good 2022 in the alternative scenario or that he would not have worked but the handover will likely prove to be a blessing in disguise.

Contrast with what Mitchell is now faced with. A side that will probably win its last 4 games going in to 2022 with a head of steam, looking poised to carry of the unlikeliest of rebuilds, but that comes with pressure (there would not otherwise have been). I happen to think Hawthorn list and Mitchell will be good enough but they are exposed at a crucial point of the rebuild.
Plus Worsfold seems to have been very genuine in wanting to set him up ready to go this year. Ruttens opportunity to develop last year as matchday without having full responsibility should not be underestimated. Other things about the way things have transpired but mainly that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do not know where it goes results wise but one thing is for sure and that is there is a different feel within the club that has not been there for a long time.
They have plenty to do but it looks like the me culture that has been a part of us for at least 10 years has been eliminated.

I do not know where it goes results wise but one thing is for sure and that is there is a different feel within the club that has not been there for a long time.
They have plenty to do but it looks like the me culture that has been a part of us for at least 10 years has been eliminated.
You can actually see it from afar. Look like a bunch of blokes who love being around each other and share a commitment to a common goal.

Seeing this and seeing them play selfless, passionate footy has actually even the most enjoyable part of the season.

One of those hindsight things. But having so many of the 34 continue on didn't help.

From the outside things certainly are looking a lot better.

Shock horror that something in the AFL wasn't as bad as what people thought in both the Hawks scenario and our coaching handover.

The Hawks situation could still go very sour.

Clarkson gets the team up and about for the end of the season.

Fans get excited and expect it to continue.

They struggle early next season as Mitchelk finds his feet and the Hawkes fans will turn on hik quickly.

Rutten certainly seems to have fostered an inclusive culture. You can tell he is absolutely approachable and a positive influence. IMO, the focus on club history/legends presenting jumpers gives a real sense of belonging and reverence. Add the game plan buy in, rewarding form etc. and the players clearly enjoying their footy and it has been a massive turnaround.

The breakout seasons for Parish, Lav, redman, Langford plus injection of quality kids has given the club a real spark.

Couldn't be happier.

I love looking at this thread. You could take some of these "hot takes" and move them to the Delusional Pearlers thread.

If you describe some posters (including myself) expressing their 'hot takes' at the start of the year by observing this clubs past 20 year history of arrogance and stubbornness and just plain dumb decision makings delusional, then sure fair enough.

I put my hand up and admit my doubts were unfounded. But I think most ppl would admit they did have some doubt with how this year would go.

I am very happy that Ben is our coach even if we miss finals (touch wood we do make it). Im also impressed with what Brasher has done. All those off field issues Woosha had to deal with don't seem to be an issue this year.

If you describe some posters (including myself) expressing their 'hot takes' at the start of the year by observing this clubs past 20 year history of arrogance and stubbornness and just plain dumb decision makings delusional, then sure fair enough.

I put my hand up and admit my doubts were unfounded. But I think most ppl would admit they did have some doubt with how this year would go.

I am very happy that Ben is our coach even if we miss finals (touch wood we do make it). Im also impressed with what Brasher has done. All those off field issues Woosha had to deal with don't seem to be an issue this year.

Let's not shift the goalposts. I don't know what you posted, but in general, the posts I put into the "hot takes" bracket were the ones talking about Rutten's ability as a coach. "Knights era" was a post that was a bold one.

Done a great job with the group so far.

Test will come next season when the pressure is on. (This year we were widely predicted to be bottom 4)

This is totally true. As great as it feels to make finals when you're not expected to. Well we've basically had over a decade of going into the finals then falling out the next year (2009 in, 2010 out, 2011 in 2012 out, 2013 (out due to saga), 2014 in, 2015 out, 2016 out, 2017 in, 2018 out, 2019 in, 2020 out. That's off the top of my head so i may have stuffed up a year or two but the point remains, we've always done better when the pressure is not on to perform to expectations.

That said I'm still optimistic that we are genuinely building something a bit different and more sustainable than what we've had in prior years. Certainly I think our midfield alone could be a helluva lot better than anything we've had since early 2000s. If nothing else the improved percentage is at least an indicator that we've played some pretty consistent footy over the course of the year.

Regardless of next weeks result, well done Ben Rutten. You and the other members of the coaching staff have turned this club around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back