Free Kick Differential - Our style or Bad Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

canadamatt

Senior List
Sep 1, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
If wins/losses were judged based on which team won the free kick count, the Tigers would be 2 wins 6 losses for the season. The two wins:
Round 1 - Richmond 22, Carlton 20 (excludes infinity 50 meter penalties)
Round 4 - Richmond 27, Brisbane 26 (Genuinely got the rub of the green in this game I think)

Every other game the Tigers have lost the Free Kick count, with the worst being 14-28 versus the Crows in Round 2. The net differential is now -46 (158 for vs. 204 against). Interested in your thoughts, is this due to the high pressure game, subliminal bias against the premiers (which never seems to affect Geelong of Hawthorne) or something more sinister?

Originally being from Perth, chances are it wont improve after this week!

All stats from afl.com.au individual games

It's the game style.

In 2012, we won the tackle count in 6.5 of 22 games (one was a draw).
2013 - 6.5 of 23
2014 - 8 of 23
2015 - 6 of 23 (By the way - in 2015 we were second on the free kick differential, only behind the Weagles).
2016 - 3.5 of 23
2017 - 15 of 25
2018 - 5 of 8 so far.

The biggest change in our gameplan has been our pressure. Pressure means more tackling situations. The tackling numbers are the biggest change in our stat line.
Yeah, OK, there's a lot of reasons for tackling - sometimes the chasing team tackles more. Nevertheless, most frees are paid in a situation where tackles occur, and usually the frees favour the player being tackled - which is what we all want (the player making the play should get protection).
We are getting into more tackle situations, as the tackler. Interestingly, we don't WIN more contested possessions, but we force more contested situations. We still only win about 50% of contested possessions. We also have an increase in our clearance situations (where we are lucky to win 50%), which indicates we are forcing more stoppages.

So as the side forcing more contested situations, we are going to give away more frees. It's the downside to our signature 'manic pressure'.

Free kick differential doesn't bother me.
It's the 50s in rd 1, the inconclusive score reviews that overturn goal umpires decision (and the fact they have been missed for other teams).
The amount of htb decisions we're not awarded that are seemingly paid the other way in similar circumstances pisses me off, but hard to say if that's just yellow and black goggles watching or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the game style.

2013 - 6.5 of 23
2014 - 8 of 23
2015 - 6 of 23 (By the way - in 2015 we were second on the free kick differential, only behind the Weagles).
2016 - 3.5 of 23
2017 - 15 of 25
2018 - 5 of 8 so far.

The biggest change in our gameplan has been our pressure. Pressure means more tackling situations. The tackling numbers are the biggest change in our stat line.
Yeah, OK, there's a lot of reasons for tackling - sometimes the chasing team tackles more. Nevertheless, most frees are paid in a situation where tackles occur, and usually the frees favour the player being tackled - which is what we all want (the player making the play should get protection).
We are getting into more tackle situations, as the tackler. Interestingly, we don't WIN more contested possessions, but we force more contested situations. We still only win about 50% of contested possessions. We also have an increase in our clearance situations (where we are lucky to win 50%), which indicates we are forcing more stoppages.
So as the side forcing more contested situations, we are going to give away more frees. It's the downside to our signature 'manic pressure'.
Disagree with that...it's not the umpires jobs to 'protect' the player making the footy play with free kicks...
I favour the view.. that the player making/forcing the play ought to be allowed to force an outcome in play legally...and here's the rub if that player try's to force an outcome in play then gets caught/tackled and disposes of the ball illegaly then rightfully that player ought to get pinged...not protected!

Last edited:
It's the game style.

2013 - 6.5 of 23
2014 - 8 of 23
2016 - 3.5 of 23
2017 - 15 of 25
2018 - 5 of 8 so far.

Why do the teams the are copying our "game plan" not getting punished then? Supposedly Collingwood, North and Melbourne have all copied the majority of our game but have +35, +30 and +10 free kicks respectively, only Hawks are at -5. What about the Dogs who were the blue print for our plan, Beveridge said the reason they got so many free kicks was because of their style of play??

For some strange reason we don't seem to have got the better team advantage when it comes to free kicks that is widely recognised in all sports around the world.

That all being said i do think our game plan is why we receive so many so many frees against, but I can't work out how we don't get more for when our boys are constantly making the play in the games we play in. Although i'd rather see Roos count come down to low 20's instead of us going up to 30's, 70 free kicks in a game is stupid.

It's the game style.

2013 - 6.5 of 23
2014 - 8 of 23
2016 - 3.5 of 23
2017 - 15 of 25
2018 - 5 of 8 so far.

Hooray another poster I can add to my list of Creditable Posters. Thanks for doing the hard work.

Why do the teams the are copying our "game plan" not getting punished then? Supposedly Collingwood, North and Melbourne have all copied the majority of our game but have +35, +30 and +10 free kicks respectively, only Hawks are at -5. What about the Dogs who were the blue print for our plan, Beveridge said the reason they got so many free kicks was because of their style of play??

For some strange reason we don't seem to have got the better team advantage when it comes to free kicks that is widely recognised in all sports around the world.

That all being said i do think our game plan is why we receive so many so many frees against, but I can't work out how we don't get more for when our boys are constantly making the play in the games we play in. Although i'd rather see Roos count come down to low 20's instead of us going up to 30's, 70 free kicks in a game is stupid.
North’s game plan is nothing like ours and more of a rugby style one which moves the balll slowly forward then a lock up stoppage. It’s not played with the intensity speed and chaos as ours when closing opponents down.
Melbourne and Collingwood are trying to replicate our style , but don’t have the soldiers and training to do it right for longer periods and even when they’re implementing it , it’s still not even comparable.

I agree that the pressure contributes. There's also the "positioning" that Rance, Astbury, Grimes and Towner all use in marking contests.

We play with a bit of mongrel these days and it's ******* great. It's a big part of why we're in ripping form, IMO.

Prepare yourselves for a world record negative free kick differential this week.
Plenty of focus on blocking during marking contests too this week - our defenders are really good at it.

We gonna get reamed by the fluoro’s. :'(

I have also heard on good authority that the AFL is deeply concerned that the umpires who are given the task of adjudicating our backline zone will run out of air so 10 of these have been ordered...

upload_2018-5-15_9-48-23.png

and one of these...

upload_2018-5-15_9-50-25.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back