Autopsy Freo Dominate 3 quarters and lose by 46 points... - Rd 11 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

We don’t switch the ball in the backline anywhere nearly enough to tire the opposition forwards. They are kicking at goal with fresh legs, hence above average goal kicking. Similarly our forwards work their clackers off up and back down the ground and are kicking off spent legs. It goes beyond just unlucky or poor technique. Their rooted.
They defended it very well.

There was no opportunity to do it. We gave them space to do it.

Honestly this board is the epitome of why 'you're never as good as you seem and never as bad as you seem' was coined.

We were one bad decision from a Sydney player in the last 30 seconds from losing last week but we all act like we were awesome. If he'd made a different decision the reaction on here would have been the polar opposite even though the players played exactly the same.

Then we were a bunch of missed shots at goal from winning this week against a top team away from home and we all act like we're terrible and need to burn the place down.

When we win all our players are great and we have great depth to cover our injuries, when we lose they're all sh*t and our rebuild has failed.

It's an exhausting rollercoaster knee-jerking from week to week with no clear thinking on the long term.
Only a bloke with purple glasses on would say we were close this week.

The game was over at qtr time and Port switched off.

We're a middling team.

I agree but I have no faith in our ability to improve our goalkicking. I know it will turn at some point, but it feels years off.

Our midfield go missing defensively for about a quarter (or more) every week. This week it was the first. Eagles it was the second half etc.
Got sucked into the contest and left space on outside.

Then we kicked poorly to make it worse

We weren't a few missed shots from winning. We were nowhere near winning. I am struggling to understand how anyone could watch that and think we were. Port had another gear they didn't need after quarter time.
I agree that we were never in it (maybe if the Mundy snap goes in we were) just because of the 50pts, but I don't agree Port have another gear. They are flat trackers and for large parts of the game we weren't flat and they couldn't cope.

Apart from the bad kicking for goal the thing that worries me is that first 10 minutes when they just walked out of the centre square which further exposed a weakened back line. This happened against the WC and Brisbane. Something is badly wrong with our centre square work which leaves us un-competitive for periods of time.

We're a middling team.
Hell no we missed easy shots and wasted opportunities. Once we learn to kick straight and fix our forward entries we will be a finals side.

We're a middling team.
IMO Port switched off after 5 minutes of the first quarter. They were nowhere near as good after that, and we had as much ball, inside 50s, shots at goal, and blew it. They completely humiliated us before we even had a repeat entry, but after that period we were even everywhere except the scoreboard.

But saying that changes little. The reason why we still lost in spite of playing well are very difficult to fix. We aren't going to magically extract a decent key forward or classy medium forward out of nowhere. Pearce and Hamling are more often injured than playing. We lack pace through the middle. We have a lot of WAFL quality players in our bottom 10.

We weren't a few missed shots from winning. We were nowhere near winning. I am struggling to understand how anyone could watch that and think we were. Port had another gear they didn't need after quarter time.
26 scoring shots to 25 tells the tale. Doesn't matter that we lost the first qtr (even though it doesn't help). If we kicked straight it would have gone down to the wire. Really not hard to comprehend that goal kicking is stopping us from reaching the top 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of ifs and buts.
If we didn’t have so many injuries we would be better.
If we can learn to kick straight we will win more games.
If the umpires weren’t paying them soft frees.
If we didn’t fall asleep in the first 10 mins.

Sick of all the ifs at this stage.
If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle.

I was at the game.... Aisle 146 near the Freo cheer squad.

At quarter time, I seriously thought of leaving the game. I didn't ever think about that back I. Round 15, 2009 when Freo kicked 1.7.13.

Saying that I sat the 2nd quarter and we had a 5-6 goal 2nd quarter. So by half time we had 5 or , 6 different goal kickers.

But the comparisons for both games at Adelaide oval this year.

Vs the crows we had 24 scoring shots, kicked 12.12.84 and won.

Vs port, had 24 scoring shots and kicked 9.15 and got belted.

Disagree, we literally got it back to 21 points and ****ed some MORE kicks on goals then the lead went back out again as we tired the last 10 minutes which is what happens when you dominate for so long and get no reward. If we’d taken our chances we’d have been up to our eyeballs in it, and that’s after getting blown away the first quarter.

Game was there for the taking if we kicked reasonably, wouldn’t necessarily have won but I don’t think they were clearly a better side with an extra to go as they pleased

Port had another gear they didn't need after quarter time.

We're a middling team.

History doesn't suggest Port are a team who does just enough at home then switches off. They're normally the quintessential home track bullies who destroy teams once they get on top.

Did they just decide to not dominate or did we not let them? Even in the first qtr their scoreboard dominance didn't reflect the balance of play.

I was at the game.... Aisle 146 near the Freo cheer squad.

At quarter time, I seriously thought of leaving the game. I didn't ever think about that back I. Round 15, 2009 when Freo kicked 1.7.13.

Saying that I sat the 2nd quarter and we had a 5-6 goal 2nd quarter. So by half time we had 5 or , 6 different goal kickers.

But the comparisons for both games at Adelaide oval this year.

Vs the crows we had 24 scoring shots, kicked 12.12.84 and won.

Vs port, had 24 scoring shots and kicked 9.15 and got belted.
Kudos for your support. It must get lonely sometimes.👍

Treacy is awesome defensively and contest wise in the air and on the ground.

Fyfe needs to stop this childish kicking around the corner for set shots. Mentally its weak and giving up on your kick. Grit is not always trying hard, sometimes is doing the right way even if you don't have confidence or feel like it.

Duiman is just too skinny for AFL and poos himself in pressure.

Our spread is way too slow. Need to either recruit somebody with wheels.

One positive from this is that IF we get Pearce back, Tabs stays fit and actually kick at about a 60% clip, we'll be one of those teams that is shithouse 1 year, and a top-tier team the next. Get LeCras back to teach everyone how to kick. Even with our s**t start, we kick 5.5 instead of 0.8.2 and we win this one.

Got the bones of a very strong side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back