Strategy Friday Night Boycott

Are you prepared to boycott our Round 8 match against Geelong?

• Yes

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • No

Votes: 86 75.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This will achieve something between nothing and s**t all.

I really, really want to see our club not back down from this. I am already envisioning 'The umpires made the right calls, now sit down and do as you're told' being the answer we get to our question. I really hope our club responds to this with 'No, we want answers'. In reality, what can the afl do to us? We are a huge cash cow for them, one of the biggest clubs in the league, the second biggest interstate club behind weagles, we pack out our stadium everytime we play there, they do not own us. What's the worst they can threaten us with? If we push I feel we will get justice.

This will achieve something between nothing and s**t all.

I really, really want to see our club not back down from this. I am already envisioning 'The umpires made the right calls, now sit down and do as you're told' being the answer we get to our question. I really hope our club responds to this with 'No, we want answers'. In reality, what can the afl do to us? We are a huge cash cow for them, one of the biggest clubs in the league, the second biggest interstate club behind weagles, we pack out our stadium everytime we play there, they do not own us. What's the worst they can threaten us with? If we push I feel we will get justice.

I thought they did technically own us when the SANFL handed the licence back a few years ago...

I have come up with this novel idea to really help get us over the line this Friday. Everyone who has a seated membership or was able to get a ticket to the game rock up and cheer and spur the boys on. I know, pretty radical, aye!! Why anyone would want to even do any form of acknowledgement to the umpires at such an important game is beyond me. Crazy times if this is what we have become.

I have come up with this novel idea to really help get us over the line this Friday. Everyone who has a seated membership or was able to get a ticket to the game rock up and cheer and spur the boys on. I know, pretty radical, aye!! Why anyone would want to even do any form of acknowledgement to the umpires at such an important game is beyond me. Crazy times if this is what we have become.

Agreed. I am more concerned with our form through the mids/clearance work than the umps.

This is about the most stupid and ludicrous thing I've heard on this board and if it was posted on the Port board most on here would be pissing themselves.
Yes the club was shafted by one umpire but the club was shafted well and truely in a preliminary final four years ago and no one went to this degree of stupid.

If, and that's a big if, you could organise the whole crowd to turn their backs to the game at a certain minute mark (maybe his shirt number 31? Unlikely) then that is something the AFL can't stop or keep cameras off. Banners etc won't be filmed or allowed and the person will be ejected.
I doubt you can organise everyone to agree to one thing at one time and most wouldn't give a $hit.

IMHO let it slide and let the club handle it before you make everyone look like petulant Port supporters with a new found sense of entitlement.

Good on you for your passion, but in the end the only people/entity it will hurt is the Club. You just have to have faith that the Club will issue a please explain, the AFL will give it a cursory assessment and gloss over it as per normal, and hopefully Pannell won't be given another Bulldogs game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the crowd really want to make a point Friday night it would be to remain completely silent about Dangerfield. He thrives on attention, he will be more thrown by getting none than getting booed by 50 thousand crows fans.
We saw what happened with Gunston last year.

Boycott achieves nothing. The problem with our game is that too many decisions are determined by interpretation.

The rules of the game need to be cut back and made more black and white. Till that happens this problem will not go away.

One thing I would love to see is the SANFL last disposal out of bounds rule. This takes away the "deliberate" interpretation.

Yep, 100% boycott Friday night. It's tough enough winning over there without the amazing atmosphere Crows supporters bring.

Just glad I'm not rocking up in my Victorian plated car. Don't miss those insurance claims.

PS, at least you're not the most hated by umps in the AFL http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_team_rankings?type=TA&year=2016&sby=9 also check out the Doggies stats. Umps just love them this season.
PPS, anyone thinks any of this is a 'Victorian' conspiracy has no idea how much all of the Vic teams hate each other. Think you guys vs Port but add a hundred years

Good on you for your passion, but in the end the only people/entity it will hurt is the Club. You just have to have faith that the Club will issue a please explain, the AFL will give it a cursory assessment and gloss over it as per normal, and hopefully Pannell won't be given another Bulldogs game.
sorry, but I'm completely sick of that standard response from the AFL.

opposition supporters and people from our own board can laugh it up all they like, but the game should belong to us and it hasn't for a very long time - despite the fact we're all paying for this racket.

and its NOT just about us being on the receiving end of a few dodgy frees, this is merely the straw that broke the camels back. Only need to look as far back as the Essendon saga to realise that the AFL have a precisely 0% interest in the integrity of the game or anything you might be able to portray as "fairness" and that is wrong, plain and simple.

we're all being taken for a ride. It's one thing to be pissed on and told its raining, its another to thing entirely to pretend you enjoy it. I'm millimetres away from turning my back on a lifetime of support for this club and that really makes me sad, but frankly if the AFL won't change its ways I see no other option.

so get stuck in flogs, I couldn't give a s**t. Just remember my views clearly aren't shared by many if any on this board :thumbsu:

P.S. I do find it amusing though that we have 27 pages worth of people bagging Troy Pannell, but the idea of doing something (anything, even if this may be ill-conceived) has been comprehensively shot down.

Boycott achieves nothing. The problem with our game is that too many decisions are determined by interpretation.

The rules of the game need to be cut back and made more black and white. Till that happens this problem will not go away.

One thing I would love to see is the SANFL last disposal out of bounds rule. This takes away the "deliberate" interpretation.

Add if you mark the ball and without interference hold onto it to the ground it's a mark not for a 2 touch juggle dropped attempt.

Back